New Toledo Squad's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

denseglow

I've seen some new Toledo FD squads on the road, only 23's but, what are these? And, did this replace the suburban Rescue 23? If someone could give some insight I'd appreciate it. thanks.

jpryor

At least Rescue 9, 11, 17 & 23 are now transport capable rescue ambulances. I know Rescue 6 is still a non transport Suburban and last time I saw Rescue 5 it was still a heavy squad (former Squad 1). There are supposed to be upwards of five transport rigs, I'm not sure which of the remaining rescue rigs would be ambulance number five.

The revenue to be generated by the EMS transports is supposed to offset expenses and allow the department to maintain current staffing levels.

There have been articles following the story over the past year or so, here is a good recent one: http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071111/NEWS16/711110310/0/NEWS

hoser147

Hey Guys were the private companies running BLS or ALS? It will be interesting to see if the $ pan out as they expect. How did the system work before. The FD respond and do pt care till the private crew arrives thru 911? The private companies are probably not counting their private calls, only the ones thru FD/911. So they can blame their staff reductions on the FD. If the private companies provide ALS over basic how doe's that provide better care to the PT? Just curious...........Hoser

denseglow

I think it's a great idea. By the way, do you know by any chance where they are stationed? Is this the end of LCEMS?

Last edited:

hoser147

Any thing that increases response time is good. I was tryn to get at whether the Private companies are snowballn the numbers due to the FD taken it over. We kinda have the opposite situation here as the Private companies are tryn to move in on the FD units.I just dont think the private companies are given all the numbers out. they arent counting There private calls .Hoser

denseglow

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised. I'd say Rumpf is one of the slowest EMS services around here in terms of call volume. I think they are only counting FD runs, 40 for MedCorp? In a day, I am thinking more, but I could be wrong. It just doesn't seem possible in a city of 300k people. The new ambulances look great, I think they are Chevrolets with a TramaHawk box. Correct me if I am wrong.

hoser147

Im not sure I only get up that way once every now and then. Im at Grand Lake St. Marys. Im sure the privates arent counting what they do private calls or nursing home calls and just non emergent calls. Some are known to bump up and start IVs as to charge more money to Medicare or Medicaid over a basic run. Medcorp is a big company cant really see them playn with anything but the 911 calls They arent just disclosing everything. Hoser

denseglow

*laughs* "Rescue 9 Lucas County, we're going to need a taxi to St. Charles"
"Stand by"
"Lucas County Rescue 9 you'll be getting MedCorp"
"OK, on MedCorp"

bvankl

Premium Subscriber
From what I had read before (cant`t remember if it was Blade or not), the numbers are only being counted as 911 runs. The privates are running mostly ALS trucks, that was some concern to the people living in Toledo. Privates are sending ALS and FD is sending BLS.

hoser147

That makes a Big difference as long as the ALS can get there fast enuff. ALS is far better care in a heart attack Stroke or Major trauma. They can provide close to the same care an ER will do..Our FD it is required to be ALS Paramedic certified just for that reason. EMT_A has approx 140 hours of training where a Paramedic Has over 700 hours and can do alot more procedures such as adm drugs, Intubate, Interpit monitor and various other advanced procedures. It would be good to Inquire about this stuff before an emergency takes place involving a loved one.............Hoser

code3club

I am going to add on to this.

I work for 2 private companys in the Toledo area. A few things I want to point out...

Rumpf is slow because they are only running 1- 24 hour car, and a 11-1900, and 1530-1930 (m-f). That is three cars on a good day. The past few months have been slammed! Also, it is a small company, nobody has heard of them... I never did until I started working. Rumpf is seeing a lot of our dumps... as well as the others. They are a strong little company, and their employees are happy.

Also... LCEMS and Toledo Fire are going to kill people. They are dumping calls on BLS units that should be taken by ALS units. I can not count the amount of calls I have had that LCEMS and TFD should have sent on a Life Squad... 1st the pt. should not have been waiting for a code 2 from across town, and 2nd a BASIC UNIT? I have had blue patients, seizing patients, and a heart attack in the last month alone.

fire166

CODE 3 Club

That is typical "private ambulance talk". If you were on the FD end, you wouldn't believe the caliber of people we get on some of the private ambulances. I would honestly send them back to the station if they responded to my family members home.

Status
Not open for further replies.