P-25 Oxford Twp, Butler Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawnCowboy

Am I too far away from this system to hear commucations? West side of Hamilton Co - Colerain... I put the control channel into Pro-96 and scan... bank OPEN.... nothing... push manual on the control channel and get good signal (90%+)... Don't have the freq. next to any other 800Mhz freq. in the bank... hmmmmmm... must be missing something?

jerk

LawnCowboy said:
Am I too far away from this system to hear commucations? West side of Hamilton Co - Colerain... I put the control channel into Pro-96 and scan... bank OPEN.... nothing... push manual on the control channel and get good signal (90%+)... Don't have the freq. next to any other 800Mhz freq. in the bank... hmmmmmm... must be missing something?
Is the bank set for trunking, Motorola trunking specifically. I also had the problem with a 380 MHz frequncy, but it's not supported. The Butler system is.

I had the problem until I changed that setting. Trunking worked great afterwards.

AL

Matthew

The Oxford Area Radio System (OARS) is a slow/quiet system. I too live in Colerain and and can receive the system quite well. You just have to wait for OXford Police and Miami Univ Police to speak.

LawnCowboy

that's what I figured.... just not alot going on up there in the sticks... hahaha but I think I've left the thing on for a few hours at a time and I'm not hearing a thing.... trying to pay more attention to it... have locked out everything in the bank other than that control channel and no other banks enabled... so basically ONLY scanning OARS...

and yes, newsalan, the bank is set for MOT.... good idea.... I just failed to mention that in covering all my bases on the initial post... thanks for the input... please try again?

squelch is all the way down as well since this is the only freq being monitored so being MOT it shouldn't break until someone talks.

I'll keep listening!

LawnCowboy

Ok, there's gotta be something wrong on my end... have listened now solely to this system for a continuous 6+ hrs and I haven't heard a squeek. Also listening to the old analog and did hear one fire page? ideas?

jerk

LawnCowboy said:
Ok, there's gotta be something wrong on my end... have listened now solely to this system for a continuous 6+ hrs and I haven't heard a squeek. Also listening to the old analog and did hear one fire page? ideas?

I passed through the area on Saturday with a BCD396, but was tired and did not turn the system on. Early in the mornings if I travel to the right spot I can hear the old system, but have not done so lately. (And maybe the new system) have not checked.

But the MOT bank thing catches me every now and then on my other RS scanner. Perhaps a control channel missing? On one very weak system I'm getting interference on one of the CC's which blocks reception, it's almost a birdie, but only get in certain areas... Could this be a problem for you also, but that would only show up every second or third or fourth day, depending on the rotation. Also, try posting to the Monix yahoo group

AL

wolverine

Yea the Oxford system works pretty good on the Pro-96, only problem Is that there's not much traffic on the system like you would find on the Hamilton County system.

LawnCowboy

I believe there is a primary control ch. and an alternate. I have yet to notice the alternate being used.

I can't understand it... When I hit manual on the control channel, it looks like I'm getting a GREAT signal - 99% decode.... system info matches with the Oxford system. I have left this sole channel to scan as a MOT system and I'm hearing absolutely NOTHING! Bank is set as MOT and nothing else is active in the bank! I know there HAS TO BE something being dispatched over this at least ONCE an hour I would think even for a very slow day... I'm not hearing squat! :)

jerk

LawnCowboy said:
I believe there is a primary control ch. and an alternate. I have yet to notice the alternate being used.

I can't understand it... When I hit manual on the control channel, it looks like I'm getting a GREAT signal - 99% decode.... system info matches with the Oxford system. I have left this sole channel to scan as a MOT system and I'm hearing absolutely NOTHING! Bank is set as MOT and nothing else is active in the bank! I know there HAS TO BE something being dispatched over this at least ONCE an hour I would think even for a very slow day... I'm not hearing squat! :)
The bank is not in closed status is it? So if nothing is programmed, nothing will be received? Just a wild guess.

AL

wolverine

Did you try sitting outside and see If you hear anything, maybe your In a deadspot for that system, I really cant see how since your receiving the control channel. I know that In my house I can receive Oxford with no digital breakup at all, however as soon as I step outside, nothing at all.

Matthew

Right now as I am typing I have heard Oxford Squad 291 go in-service, an Oxford PD patrol unit was advised of a voice mail, and there was some miscellaneous traffic.

I am receiving OARS with a 99% decode rate from the area of US-27 and IR-275.

jerk

LawnCowboy said:
nope.. open bank :) any MOT TGID should come thru!
delete everything and start over? It's got to be something simple that causing the problem.
Site101 Ch01 866.03750 MOT
Site101 Ch02 866.35000 MOT
Site101 Ch03 866.76250 MOT
Site101 Ch04 867.20000 MOT
Site101 Ch05 867.68750 MOT

Try putting in all the frequncies and see what happens.
AL

LawnCowboy

Well, tried your idea newsalan. In scan mode I get nothing... when I manually go to frequencies, I WAS hearing some chatter... 867.2000 was the only one I was hearing chatter on and when I tried to pick up the rest of conversations by manually going through the other channels, was not able to pick up the other parts of some conversations. Also, hit scan while hearing chat on 867.2000 and radio didn't stop to listen.... my guess is it only looks for control channel data channel??? never have tried listening to a system with all of it's frequencies on the Pro-96... I'm perplexed at this point.

and Mathew I'm not far from 27 & 275...

jerk

LawnCowboy said:
Well, tried your idea newsalan. In scan mode I get nothing... when I manually go to frequencies, I WAS hearing some chatter... 867.2000 was the only one I was hearing chatter on and when I tried to pick up the rest of conversations by manually going through the other channels, was not able to pick up the other parts of some conversations. Also, hit scan while hearing chat on 867.2000 and radio didn't stop to listen.... my guess is it only looks for control channel data channel??? never have tried listening to a system with all of it's frequencies on the Pro-96... I'm perplexed at this point.

and Mathew I'm not far from 27 & 275...
Well I have one last idea, which I'm sure you already checked to make sure the CC is not locked out in the scanner. I've done that one also. And just the double check-You have BOTH the Bank and CC Frequency set for MOT trunking right. I believe it is Pgm + Trunk and then enter the bank number. The Nashville TN TRS thread has good information on programming the Pro-96/2096

And if you have a P96 file how about posting for people to look at. Bummer, I still think it's something simple... but what I don't know...

AL

Last edited:

LawnCowboy

yep, it's not locked out... figured that was the only thing anyone hasn't mentioned so far... I know it sounds completely simple to figure but honestly I've double checked and rechecked my programming.... and I KNOW the bank and the CC freq. are both set for MOT... I've programmed this scanner using Win96 lots of times... as far as a p96 file, I actually was just fumbling around in one bank and just locked out everything but the programmed from hand, Oxford CC that I put ontop of one of my MARCS channels (since it's in my MARCS bank - which was already set up for MOT bank). Just wanted to see that I could pick the darn thing up before I started putting a set place for it.... If I'm picking up the other 800freq. in the table, something weird is going on... but I'm thinking maybe because I'm not too close to Oxford, but should be able to pick it up I would think, that maybe the voice channel info I'm picking up is from another closer system... I rode around with scanner in truck and didn't have any luck... watched the CC and it seemed to bounce around alot while mobile... I'm not far from 27 and 275 so I'll hop up that way soon and see if the mile or so difference makes any change in reception ability.... I also have a friend with a pro96 that maybe I'll borrow for a short stint and make sure I don't have something goofy going on with mine!

jerk

LawnCowboy said:
yep, it's not locked out... figured that was the only thing anyone hasn't mentioned so far... I know it sounds completely simple to figure but honestly I've double checked and rechecked my programming.... and I KNOW the bank and the CC freq. are both set for MOT... I've programmed this scanner using Win96 lots of times... as far as a p96 file, I actually was just fumbling around in one bank and just locked out everything but the programmed from hand, Oxford CC that I put ontop of one of my MARCS channels (since it's in my MARCS bank - which was already set up for MOT bank). Just wanted to see that I could pick the darn thing up before I started putting a set place for it.... If I'm picking up the other 800freq. in the table, something weird is going on... but I'm thinking maybe because I'm not too close to Oxford, but should be able to pick it up I would think, that maybe the voice channel info I'm picking up is from another closer system... I rode around with scanner in truck and didn't have any luck... watched the CC and it seemed to bounce around alot while mobile... I'm not far from 27 and 275 so I'll hop up that way soon and see if the mile or so difference makes any change in reception ability.... I also have a friend with a pro96 that maybe I'll borrow for a short stint and make sure I don't have something goofy going on with mine!

I beleive that's it! Try putting the Butler system in a separate bank.
I think the scanners is confused or unable to amke the switch from a 3600 BPS to a 9600 BPS system, so it ignores the other "new" control channel.

Just another guess on my part. Perhaps asking in the RS froum if the 96 can track both a 9600 and 3600 in the same bank. Or perhaps someone on this forum already knows.
AL

LawnCowboy

possibly something of what you say with different systems in the same bank... will try to do a total bank JUST to the cc freq. and have the other channels blank! but I've currently locked out everything other than that control channel for Oxford. Would think that would be fine then... I know you can't put two control channels close to each other on the 96 without seperating them with a non-MOT frequency, but you bring up a very good thing to think about it if I want to put Oxford in a Butler Co. bank that I MIGHT also have West Chester in... hmmmm

Thanks for continued input... I'll keep trying!

Status
Not open for further replies.