Hamilton, OH - 156.210

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawnCowboy

Just wondered.... and have wondered for years.... why does this frequency sometimes have such a long ummmm, squelch tail I guess you would call it? Doesn't happen all the time but when it does, it's kind of annoying. Never heard any other frequency do that for such a long length.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
LawnCowboy said:
Just wondered.... and have wondered for years.... why does this frequency sometimes have such a long ummmm, squelch tail I guess you would call it? Doesn't happen all the time but when it does, it's kind of annoying. Never heard any other frequency do that for such a long length.

I believe what you are hearing is encryption. At least that what it use to be when I lived there, not sure if they still use it or not but that sounds like what you are describing. They use to have a code or signal for it when they wanted the dispatcher to turn it on and I thought there was a freq. you could hear it on but don't remember. That was 10 years ago :)

LawnCowboy

hmmm, encryption? never heard of any other vhf systems doing that.... seems like an old system and didn't know they were capable of encryption.... know it's been doing that since I started listening about 10-15 yrs. ago.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
LawnCowboy said:
hmmm, encryption? never heard of any other vhf systems doing that.... seems like an old system and didn't know they were capable of encryption.... know it's been doing that since I started listening about 10-15 yrs. ago.

Yes, they have been doing this for years..I am certain this is what you are describing..

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Steve is correct. It is encryption and they have been using it for many years.
Just thank your lucky stars they never use it more than they do.

In truth, this is the way encryption should be used, only when needed.
In that respect Hamilton PD does it right.

MBECKNELL

Premium Subscriber
also my 2 cents they also sometime have bad sounds like the repeater locks up.
ps any of you guys remember how you could get the coded traffic on a scanner

kc8gjh

Premium Subscriber
I have heard the same "noise" coming from the 156.210 until I got my 96 a few years ago and was able to put in the 107.2 tone and I havent heard it since. I have a Pro-93 that doesnt have PL capabilities and I hear the noise on that one. I know I have heard the same thing for at least 10 years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.