Mansfield post

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOLEBILLY

Does anyone know if mansfield is dispatching for norwalk and ashland post? Norwalk post 39 is always comming up as post 3 which is ashland post.Even mansfield post 70 units is showing post 3 on the readout. Been doing this now for about 4 days in a row.

RagnarD

Premium Subscriber
In a valley that only a few know where it is
Based on Ashland County's location (sandwiched right between Richland and Huron counties) it makes sense for Ashland to dispatch for those posts when they need to.

I have spent alot of time in Ashland the last couple years as my parents get older (I grew up there) and it is not uncommon to hear Post 3 dispatch for Post 70 and vice versa.

I wonder if you were to look at the talk group ID number and not the Alpha tag on your scanner if you see a different talk group ID?

I hope I get this right. For example if Post 70 was cross patched to Post 3 and you checked Post 70's talkgroup ID on your scanner it "should" change from 16320 to 16323. The increase of 3 is because the status bit are set with a value of 3. Talkgroup ID + 3 = for cross patching.

There are 15 status bit options and if you do a search here on R/R you can learn all you want to and more about them.

HTH.

Merry Christmas!

de
chris
kq4z

HOLEBILLY

Ok I just saw in the paper where Mansfield post was going to take over all dispatching for norwalk post.It said you still dial the same number for norwalk post but it goes to mansfield. I quess they are not laying off the dispatchers at norwalk but they are doing different duties.

RagnarD

Premium Subscriber
CVPI4Ever said:
OSHP is consolidating its dispatching.

I could see Post 70 being consolidated with Post 39 and/or the other way around but throwing Post 3 into the mix for dispatch consolidation baffles me.

Post 70 and Post 39 are in District 2. Posts 3 is in District 3. Why would a Post in one District be a permanent consolidated dispatch facility for a Post in another District?

A consolidation between Post 70 and/or 39 makes some sense. I imaging dispatch functions could be consolidated to District HQ? (That's how it is done here in Va. Virgina has 7 VSP Divisions and Division HQ handles all dispatch functions for the Division.)

I can see intra redistrict dispatch consolidation but inter district dispatching consolidation sounds a little dubious to me.

Maybe OSP is going to redistrict as well to support consolidation in more ways than just dispatching?

CVPI4Ever

I think what is going to end up happening is in the future, the Troopers are going to be dispatched from the District Headquarters (DHQ).

mdulrich

Feed Provider
While consolidation of dispatching may be a good idea, I hope there doesn't end up being safety issues with troopers. I have heard a few times when posts are patched for breaks, troopers having to repeat street/road names for the non-local dispatcher.

I've even heard a dispatcher asking the trooper to spell the name of a street that anyone in the local area would be familiar with. One other instance was at the end of a short pursuit the non-local dispatcher didn't understand the location the trooper gave. When she tried to raise the trooper he didn't answer. Finally a rather perturbed sounding trooper gave the location, just about the time I was getting ready to call and let them know the location.

Local knowledge is crucial when someone needs help.

Mike

CVPI4Ever

All the cruisers have GPS so there is no reason for dispatchers to not know where a Trooper is.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
CVPI4Ever said:
All the cruisers have GPS so there is no reason for dispatchers to not know where a Trooper is.

Then explain my observations. Also the other day I heard a post dispatch a trooper to a vehicle NB on I-75 at such and such mile marker. The trooper came on and said he was on an entirely different route nowhere near the vehicle and to give it to another post. Unless they have teleporters the dispatcher should have seen the location and known he couldn't make it. I have also heard dispatchers ask for locations and then give them the call or tell them to disregard.

I don't think the GPS is 100%.

Mike

hoser147

Their system has dead zones also as far as the GPS and MDTs go. Several times Ive heard Post 6 ask 2 to take over thier CAD for their units and Ive also heard 2 and 81 ask to do the same thing. With the rebuilding of several of the posts I cant see anything in the near future of a central dispatch for all OSP ops..................Hoser

CVPI4Ever

Hoser, there already is a central dispatch in Columbus. However, as I stated earlier, they will be dispatching from already established District Headquarters.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
CVPI4Ever said:

Another instance today. Post radios trooper and asks his location on a traffic stop as she is not receiving anything from his GPS.

Mike

RagnarD

Premium Subscriber
Hi Folks,

I have been in Post 3's AOR since early yesterday and Post 70 (Mansfield) is in fact dispatching for Post 3. Troopers when they radio in are using jargon like "(badge/unit ID) Mansfield signal x" I have copied Post 70 troopers doing the same " (badge/unit ID) Mansfield signal x"

I have also observed Post 52 (Medina) calling in the "old" format "(badge/unit ID) 52."

That being said, I wonder if what is going on in Ashland/Richland County is a pilot or is being done for some other reason?

I'll pay close attention to what Post 85 (Wooster) is doing as well and report later.

Interesting. I am here until Thursday morning so I am hoping I can get some insight as to what they are doing.

de
chris
kq4z

STEW

What I Know

I know Post 72 has sent dispatch operations to Post 22 - So now the Erie/Ottawa post does fremont dispatching.

I know that Norwalk is dispatch full time out of Mansfield. I know they are considering consolidating Ashalnd and Mansfield as well ... all this is just for dispatching!!! The posts are still open, but the phones and dispatching is all done from one location.

Keep in mind if a dispatcher goes on break, they can ask another post to take over and switch everything at the flick of a switch!!! Pretty cool stuff going on in the world of OSP dispatching!

So yes from time to time you hear other posts dispatch for each other it is all by design ....

Norwalk still has a "desk person" for normal business hours, but no dispatching occurs from that location any more. As for it being a pilot program .. .well at least in this district with the way it is working out, looks as though it is here to stay/ At least according to all my OSP friends!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.