police secret Words / acronyms

Status
Not open for further replies.

minniemaiqq

hey everyone, just throwing this out there, to see what we can come up
with. First off, I'm in Dayton, Oh ....but there's a good chance these secret words are used throughout Ohio. I've found the 10-codes (10-4 ,
10-99) ETC ...... But ..... i cant find Anywhere what coded
WORDS mean & acronyms.... these are the ones that I'm stumped with:

N.I.S (?????) (as in no warrants, license suspensions)

Bubble (as in, if an officer is off-duty)(and apparently the 'bubble
list' is the list of off-duty officers)

Code D
Code Visa as in (dispach) "Code D" (officer) "Code Visa"

Code A as in (dispach) "attention all crews, Code A is canceled on
this channel" I THINK she said it's canceled for "lack of traffic"
but I'm not sure.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Unless you're talking about the dispatchers of a statewide agency, such 'jargon' words are almost always purely local to each PD. All you can do is work out approximate meanings from the context they're used in.

They grow up from usage by officers over time, and often reference very specific local things.

One that's fairly common, at least on the West Coast, is 'Code Blue', which refers to a bus or taxi showing an alert light which indicates a robbery/hijack in progress. The light, of course, is blue.

JediMaster

I work in a police department so I can answer this as best as possible however Skip answered it pretty much dead on. Most terms are specific to each PD. What we use is not necessarily used by Montgomery, which is the city directly next to us. Now, with that said, most down here in Hamilton County have the same jargon since we are all on the same TRS.

NIS means Not in System, there's also N.I.F. (Not in File.)

Down here there are no Code letters, it's all done by numbers. Like Code 3 means respond lights and sirens full throttle (as safe as possible) and Code 4 means disregard or cancel. There's tons upon tons and finding them all...well good luck.

SLWilson

Code Words...

A lot of what you hear is ACTUALLY what you THINK it means....

HUA - Head Up A## (As in the vehicle operator is operating HUA and almost caused a crash....)

EDP - Emotionally Disturbed Person.....

FF - Frequent Flyer (as in they call EMS every day for a ride to the ER for their dope shootup)

Double Glover
- Usually means that the person they are about to have contact with isn't very clean, has some illness you don't want to get etc....

I think you get the idea....

Steve/KB8FAR :D

acegta2002

Not NIS it's MIS (Management Information System).

CODE A is a restriction for the on scene units of an incident (Dayton).

Code d in Montgomery County is Disregard.

Bubble???

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
acegta2002 said:
Not NIS it's MIS (Management Information System).

In this area (Cincinnati/Dayton) what is actually being heard is NIF = Nothing In File.A lot of departments like to use NIF/WW = Nothing In File, No Wants or Warrants.
Those are very commonly heard in this part of Ohio.

Bentley

To elaborate on SLWilson's post...

WT or Whiskey Tango = White Trash
ZT or Zebra Tango = Zero Tolerance

There are more, but thats all i can remember off the top of my head...haven't sat behind a console for a few years now.

MDT= Mobile Data Terminal, or their laptop in the car.
I know the ten-codes of Mentor PD, but thats pretty much it.

Also, WT in Lake County is the Hand Held Radios.

Our Codes are response modes
Code 1 is lights and sirens
Code 2 is just go fast and maybe turn on the opticom
Code 3 which is every response mode unless stated in the dispatch is just normal driving.

Last edited:

SLWilson

Further....

Bentley said:
To elaborate on SLWilson's post...

WT or Whiskey Tango = White Trash
ZT or Zebra Tango = Zero Tolerance

There are more, but thats all i can remember off the top of my head...haven't sat behind a console for a few years now.

I didn't elaborate any further because some ACLU atty might get ahold of things and figure out what the cops are REALLY talking about!!!! HaHaHa !!!

Steve :D

BigJimbo

Premium Subscriber
if youre listening to Dayton PD, you will hear a mixture of what could sound like NIF and MIs, Both items are mentioned earlier,

NIF=Nothing in file (person is not wanted, or no record for a license)
MIS=Dayton's Management Information System (their database that holds names, addresses and arrest information) You will hear road crews and detectives talking on DPD 4, 5 and 6 asking someone to run one through MIS. MCSO cars switch over and ask DPD cars to check a name for them on MIS as well.

Dayton Fire goes through the list of personnel on duty, and ones getting ready to go home. They frequently need to fill open shifts, so when you hear them going through roll call on an ops or prevention channel, they are asking people if they can work extra. While Im not exactly sure what "on the bubble" means, it might be possible that the person they are asking to work extra is "kinda available" or might already be scheduled to work the next duty day and could not fill the shift.

Code A for Dayton is a channel restriction due to an incident. (foot chase, building search)
Code 3 or Restriction for Montgomery County is a channel restriction due to an incident.
Code A for Montgomery County means Arrest
Code B means Detail complete
Code C is Citation
Code D is disregard/cancel
Code F is Field Investigation or F.I.
Code G is gone on arrival
Code H is handled by another officer or department
Code L is location not found
Code N is no report
Code R is report taken
Code S is supplemental report taken
Code U is call unfounded
Code W is warning given

Dayton PD
Signal 11 is chow
I think 17 means mental subject
Signal 20? Checkup, are you ok?
PD-property damage crash
PI-injury crash, (can also be public intox)
H&R Hit and Run

There you go.....Those are the ones that fly off the top of the 'ol brain. Enjoy listening.

Bentley

SLWilson said:
I didn't elaborate any further because some ACLU atty might get ahold of things and figure out what the cops are REALLY talking about!!!! HaHaHa !!!

Steve :D

Errrrr that never occured to me! Sorry bout that! I'm not thinking,......as usual! lol

minniemaiqq

codes & acronyms

wow, nice lists ! Thanks everyone ! Here's a indepth list of numberical codes for Ohio. http://www.bearcat1.com/radiooh.htm Also, I've heard BM for "black male" the officer said "two BMs...no..i mean one black male and one black female" ... interesting ... Also, i've heard DV for domestic violence. as far as "bubble" and "bubble-list" I hear that every Saturday and Sunday at approx 7:30 am (not sure exactly) I work 1st shift on the weekends and have my scanner turned on. I'm not sure, but they probably do the roll-call everyday at that time-- I just don't hear it because I'm not awake that early through the week :) I'll have to get the TGID next time I hear it. Now that you mention it, maybe it Is the fire department TG because one time i heard something (during roll-call) about fire training. well, I'm going to compile a list of these, perhaps more accurate than "acronyms" I should have called the thread "buzz words" or even "slang" lol Oh, and my favorite saying is "Yes, I'm paranoid, but that doesn't mean they're not watching me" LOL thanks everyone !

JediMaster

radioscan said:
In this area (Cincinnati/Dayton) what is actually being heard is NIF = Nothing In File.A lot of departments like to use NIF/WW = Nothing In File, No Wants or Warrants.
Those are very commonly heard in this part of Ohio.

NIF is common in Ohio because when you run something on a terminal through the BMV and it doesn't exist, it says "NIF = Record Not Found On Database"

Tfitzmaurice89 said:
Our Codes are response modes
Code 1 is lights and sirens
Code 2 is just go fast and maybe turn on the opticom
Code 3 which is every response mode unless stated in the dispatch is just normal driving.

That's odd they'd do it that way....the main reason down here we use Code 3 is because of the Light/Siren Manufacturer called Code 3. It's about the only common sense code we have, lol.

bpdkop21

Buzz-Words

Our department uses ten-codes, but we use a couple of short words as well.

NIF- Nothing In File
WW-Wants/Warrants
ATL-Attempt to Locate
FTL-Failed to Locate
COM- Communication Center
75 and 103- Meet for meal on food row (we are at I-75 and ST RT 103)
Tango- Thanks
Papa Romeo-Personal Relief ( potty-break)
CLear for a Code?- Asking disptach for clearance to run hot to a call.
DC-Disorderly Conduct
PDC- Persistant Disorderly Conduct
Patrol or Post- State Patrol
AJB- Aggravated Juvenile Behavior
AggStu-Aggravated Stupidity

minniemaiqq

Hi BP Thanks for the info :) what does this mean ? CLear for a Code?- Asking disptach for clearance to run hot to a call. I guess I'm confused on what it means to "run hot to a call" Tia

Status
Not open for further replies.