New Heath (Licking County) system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibagli

Does anyone know when the new digital system for Heath is going to go online, and when it does, if it will be encrypted like the chief said (or was he just assuming that digital=encrypted)?

I don't see exactly why Heath has their current TRS to begin with. 2-4 conventional channels (which is essentially what 5x larger Newark has) would work fine.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
If you don't currently have a trunked system, then you can still monitor it in a somewhat convoluted way.

Just program these frequencies in conventionally
855.21250 856.21250* 857.21250* 858.21250*

Then, lock out whichever one is currently the control channel. And whenever the CC changes you'll know it because one of the previously quiet frequencies will suddenly have the CC on it - at which time you would lock that one out and unlock the previous.

mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
It sure would pay for me to read first, type later :)

I agree, I don't know why in the world they would need anything more than that. I don't live there, but I've been there.

Mike

ibagli

Apparently it pays to read the newspaper (albeit the one I've never heard of or seen).

http://thisweeknews.com/?sec=lickin...gCounty/News/012008-News-484282.html&tab=tab1

Heath is expected to have its new communications system in place by the end of February.

"We should be getting two walkie-talkies that are programmed to try out and make sure the talk groups and channels are the way we want them," police Chief Tony Shepherd said.

Texas-based EF Johnson is replacing the city's 15-year-old system for about $370,000. The new system will be digital and more secure.

"The old system, we were told several years ago, was on its last leg," Mayor Richard Waugh said.

Heath City Council had to find a new system after a site controller failed in June 2007, causing police officers and firefighters to share two radio channels with the city's utilities, parks and recreation and street departments. Shepherd's fear at the time was that a firefighter or an officer would try to call for help and wouldn't be able to get through.

Waugh said the city worked to free up a third line, which has helped maintain proper radio control.

Shepherd said he knew it would take the city several months to get the system in place.

Waugh said the city had anticipated the system would be in by the end of this month.

The city has run into some delays along the way. The latest is that the communications tower on Blue Jay Road no longer is strong enough to withstand 80-mph winds.

"It's too flimsy; it's not sturdy," Waugh said.

Shepherd said the tower is 185 feet tall and will be shortened by about 80 feet.

He said studies show the tower could be as short as 60 feet and still be functional.

"It will be no less effective, but it will be ugly," he said.

The city also is waiting for Time Warner Cable to install fiber-optic lines from the tower on Blue Jay Road to the city's transmission tower.

"You're going to have delays," Shepherd said. "It's no fault of ours or of EF Johnson's."

Shepherd said the old 800-megahertz system was installed in 1992 and, at the time, used advanced technology.

Waugh said the new system will be built to Project 25 Interoperability standards, thus allowing the city to apply for federal Homeland Security grants to repair it in the future.

He said that means if the tower would need to be replaced later, there might be grant money to help offset the city's costs.

"The upgrade will provide us with better opportunities to apply for grants," he said.

I hope they're buying every surrounding FD a few P25 radios, because otherwise it'll make the system useless for the fire department in anything but run-of-the-mill EMS runs and mulch fires.

Last edited:

16b

Premium Subscriber
fireSAR said:
Again, the system listed in the database is the current system, the one that the news article talks about being broken (a Motorola Type II system). As the news article states, the new system will be a Project 25 system.

At least they're going with EF Johnson and saving their citizens a little money. Or course, since it's a P25 system, they can buy radios from other manufacturers in the future if they like. Good choice.

ibagli

Heath 911 backup system on hold again

Heath's new radio system will be delayed yet another month.

"There was a technological problem with the tone paging for fire departments," Heath police Chief Tony Shepherd told ThisWeek. "As a backup to the 911 call center, we must have that available."

The paging system sends out tones to pagers before messages are transmitted, Shepherd said, adding that it is important for those messages to be received.

Status
Not open for further replies.