Alpha Tag Column Vs Tag Column

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen these on various Radio Reference pages.
What is supoposed to be the difference?
For instance the MARCS page has these columns:

DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag Description Tag

I want to know what the difference is between the Fourth Column: Alpha Tag Vs.
the Sixth Column: Tag

Thank you.

jscott02

sorry, I cant help you as all the systems I monitor dont have anything listed in the 6th column. What system are you looking at specifically so I could maybe help?

jscott02

sorry, just re-read your post and saw where you were talking about MARCS. I dont have a digital scanner and therefore dont pay too much attention to it. Maybe FPO703 can help out?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Has nothing to do with system type / scanner / whatever... It simply describes the channel.

Notice the OSP dispatch channels say "Law Dispatch"

Fire TAC channels say "Fire Talk"

Mutual Aid "Interop"

St Vincents "Hospital"

ODOT "Public Works"

Doesn't seem too complex?

jscott02

that's what I thought, but having not had any experience with MARCS I wasnt sure if I was missing something lol!

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
This is an enhancement that will hopefully lead to aid in progamming the various types (tags) in future programming software.

Alpha Tags are just what they imply, an aid to how a frequency or talkgroup displays on scanners with that capability.

The other tag is for referring as to how a particuliar frequency or talkgroup is used.

It is not just used for MARCS, it is used on every frequency and talkgroup entry in the database here.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
radioscan said:
This is an enhancement that will hopefully lead to aid in progamming the various types (tags) in future programming software.

Win500 already uses them, and it's VERY handy...

it is used on every frequency and talkgroup entry in the database here.

Not yet - it takes time for the admins to go through and tag them all. As you'll notice - MARCS isn't even done yet...

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
rdale said:
Not yet - it takes time for the admins to go through and tag them all. As you'll notice - MARCS isn't even done yet...

No kidding! I'm an db admin and did not know that. :roll::roll:

I was implying that all entries are set up for that, and will eventually be tagged.
I will word my posts more carefully next time to make my point a little clearer.

Status
Not open for further replies.