Question about Turnpike OSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra_Commander

InvisibleIndividual
Premium Subscriber
I was wondering since the osp turnpike units have switched to marcs what frequencies can i listen to them on if i came going from summit county to portage county or anywhere in ohio do they have a specific marcs frequencies they use or do they use the counties frequencies?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Cobra_Commander said:
I was wondering since the osp turnpike units have switched to marcs what frequencies can i listen to them on if i came going from summit county to portage county or anywhere in ohio do they have a specific marcs frequencies they use or do they use the counties frequencies?

Not specific MARCS frequencies. They'll be on the frequencies of whatever MARCS site they are affiliated with at any given time. So as usual with MARCS, you'll need to program in the MARCS sites that you may hear them on.

I'm down in Jefferson County - nowhere near any turnpikes. But I routinely pick them up off of various Columbiana Co MARCS sites. I don't know if this is because they just have such good signal to the south of the turnpikes that the Columbiana Co towers are reliable for them, or if for some reason their talk groups happen to be transmitted across multiple NE MARCS sites regardless. I just know I hear them quite often.

Look in the RRDB for the specific talkgroups that you'll need to add into your scanner to hear them (assuming you aren't running in ID Search or Open mode).

Mike

KD8CES

Premium Subscriber
I have heard alot of traffic on marcs for turnpike east/west on talkgroups 17152 (EAST) 17168 (west) Not sure what district this is, came from rr database, real active. Scannerdweeb.

FPO703

District 10 IS the Ohio Turnpike. Berea is the dispatch center for District 10. Cuyahoga County also falls in to District 10. But, since there is no Patrol Post 18 (only invenstigative) there's no real traffic on Post 18 talkgroups.

pat68

Turnpike East and West Talkgroups

What is the difference between these two talkgroups?

harleydpolice

pat68 said:
What is the difference between these two talkgroups?
One is dispatch for OSP District 10's (Ohio Turnpike) eastern half of the state and the other is dispatch for the western half of the state.

Nasby

So are the pike units now off the vhf-hi freqs of 155.685 and 155.790?

KD8CES

Premium Subscriber
According to rr data base the turnpike association has migrated to marcs, I haven't heard much traffic on vhf recently but will listen for any chatter. sd

pat68

East and West

What is the mile marker split between the east and the west?

jmsanders83

KC8JSU
Premium Subscriber
I believe the 160, or the Lorain County/Cuyahoga County line. I know that on the Strongsville/Brunswick MARCS site you can hear both the East and West groups. So this would make sense.

jmsanders83

KC8JSU
Premium Subscriber
I would think Berea would be hardlined into the system through T1 or something like that. I remember hearing at one time that the dispatch consoles aren't transmitting on Marcs directly. This is why posts can talk to eachother through private lines without having to go to a common talkgroup over the air.

The Strongsville site is just south of milemarker 160. I am sure that cars from both groups affiliate with the site.

FPO703

I don't think anyone is hardlined into MARCS via T-1. I know all the sites are linked together by either T-1 or T-3 lines. You might get a better answer to that one on the Yahoo Group.

Nasby

I guess district 10 finally gave in to the MARCS monster. I can recall a couple years ago when they vowed to stay off of MARCS.

Status
Not open for further replies.