Help VERY new at this

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHIOFF84

Hey everybody, my mom gave me her OLD Radio Shack scanner from back in the day. it's a PRO-46. My question is, where can I go to find frequencies that would work for this scanner? I'm looking for fire / ems / air care. I do not know much about this stuff and I checked the database on this site but I'm not getting any traffic. Thank you for the help.

OHIOFF84

Hamilton County, Kenwood area. Really anything I can pick up. I just like listening to the calls.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
It certainly would help if you'd tell us what county you are in, etc. The more information, the better.

The PRO-46 is a 100-channel scanner that covers the usual frequency ranges. It does not do any sort of trunk tracking. So you can't monitor any trunked systems that you might see in the RRDB. That leaves conventional (non-trunking) frequencies. Depending on the area you are in, you may have a lot of conventional frequencies to monitor or you may have very few.

Even if the RRDB has frequencies listed for your area, you may or may not hear any traffic on them depending on a few variables:

1. Does the scanner even work? Have your heard any radio transmissions on it yet?
2. Geographical limitations

If you are situated at an elevation lower than your surrounding areas, you'll likely pick up less.

If you are using only the antenna with the scanner, you won't pick up signals that you could otherwise pick up with an outside antenna

3. Conventional freqs may be seldom used

Depending on the area you are in, even if there are conventional frequencies listed in the RRDB, they may be seldom used if you also have trunked systems in the area and those agencies are also on trunked systems.

Mike

hoser147

Hey thats cool now ya know the scanner is receiving. Most of the freq. in the database should be up to par. Load some up and give it a whirl. There is a pretty active bunch of scannist down that way, You may not get what you want to listen to but there should be some active channels in your area. Good Luck Hoser

Status
Not open for further replies.