Grove City Changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLF

Has Grove City P.D. changed systems or freq's?
As of about 2/15/08 I am no longer hearing any GCPD traffic on my scanner, Jackson Fire is still active. Radio Reference has no changes noted yet. Anyone have any info?
Thanks, in advance.

hoser147

Somewhere I thought they were changing over to the MARCs radio system, but the FD will still page over the old system.Check the post in reference to the MARCs newsletters here in the Ohio forum that is possibly where I read it..........Hoser

KevinGC

TLF
I just got my PSR 500 scanner on Thursday and am receiving all the GCPD traffic just fine. I programmed it with the freqs from the database here. Not sure why you aren't getting them.

CherokeeKid

I live about 1 mile from the Grove City Police station. I listen daily and they are still loud and clear on 800Mhz Motorola II. About them going to MARCS, Columbus will go p25 long before GC.

jds911

Grove City has made no changes. They have no plans to make any move to digital and they are not moving to MARCS for operations, although they are buying P25 digital compatible equipment for interop purposes.

FPO703

Ask WA8PYR! He's more in the know on that one. None of the larger cities will ever go to MARCS. They may have access to MARCS for mutual aid/disaster type things. But, not for day to day operations.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
FPO703 said:
Ask WA8PYR! He's more in the know on that one. None of the larger cities will ever go to MARCS. They may have access to MARCS for mutual aid/disaster type things. But, not for day to day operations.

System loading. MARCS is not designed to support the operations of large cities (which already have their own systems) as well as state and local users.

Large metro area operations will bog the system down; one or two suburban agencies here and there in a metro area are one thing, but when you dump 14,000 radios and 400+ talkgroups onto the system you'll bog it down pretty fast in a networking sense.

If the Columbus MARCS site had 28 channels, it could handle the load reasonably well, even with state agencies mixed in. However, picture a Columbus Fire unit in the New Albany area affiliating with BN2 FG on the Granville site (with it's 4 voice channels), then a New Albany PD unit on LEERN, then Plain Twp Fire on MECC FG1, and Jefferson Twp Fire on MECC EMS. Now the Granville site is maxed out and there is no room for other users whose primary operations are in that area (like OSP).

Add to that scenario every other small site surrounding the metro area (Orient, Circleville, London, Riverview, Linnville, Hickman, etc) and you all of a sudden have those smaller sites getting maxed out as well. That is a worst case scenario, but that's what you have to plan for with a public safety system.

Tom

bv154

Metro users can be programmed to affiliate with the metro simulcast site as a priority and only roam to outlying sites when the simulcast coverage is completely lost. Or, even further, metro users can be programmed to affiliate only with the metro simulcast and never affiliate with outlying sites. Meanwhile, an OSP unit could be programmed to use whatever is best. That would essentially recreate exactly the way things operate now, but on a unified system.

In the years ahead, when MARCS hopefully gets funding and upgrades to a 7.x / 9600 system and other metro systems do the same, I think we'll see more interconnection of systems than you might expect today.

Status
Not open for further replies.