Looking to buy a better scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOK5CY

I'm looking to upgrade my current scanner Which isn't any good except for a few counties and noaa . I live just outside of afton,ok and we're looking for a base/mobile for the current trunking area . What type of scanner should I be looking for ? . We are between vinita and grove so what system is my ? . I'll have a high quality antenna on order . So anyone have a good suggestion but won't break the bank ?

ab5r

You probably need to go at it backwards. Decide WHO & WHAT you want to listen to and if they are analog or digital. Are you looking for handheld or mobile? You say that you have an antenna ordered, but did not say what kind (home, mobile or handheld.).
Good luck.

KOK5CY

The system in my area uses Motorola type 2 smart zone . I live in Delaware county so I'll be listening to Craig co sheriff and vinita pd and ohp and what ever else pops up . The antenna I'll be using is a home base at least 14ft tall and I'm at a base scanner but might use it as a mobile . Not many people know you can use a 2 meter base antenna for scanning and I've done it before and so has my cousin which is a asst fire captain . So what ever is out there on the cheap with the system I'm looking into and needing to hear .

ab5r

UGH. "Cheap" may be you downfall. There are a number of digital scanners out there, but that is like choosing which is best Ford or Chevy. I have a Uniden BCD996XT for the digital stations around here (Southern North Texas). Yes, a 2m antenna makes a great receiving antenna. Many on this site do not realize that you do not HAVE to cut an antenna to specific frequency unless it is for TRANSMITTING. Sounds like you are right on with ideas, but just shopping. I really am not that up to date to help you further,
73 & good luck.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I wouldn't use my Diamond 510 2meter/440 antenna for a scanner. But then around here most everything is 800 MHz so I use a 800 MHz Yagi for my scanner. A little High Band antenna that Radio Shack use to sell works fine for High Band and most UHF stuff.

ab5r

eaf1956: You are right for 700 & 800 MHz frequencies. A yagi would always be best IF pointed to one area or if another station was within the bandwidth of that yagi. It might no work as weel is the second station was 90 or 180 degrees off. It would laso depend upon the distance to what you want to hear. A LOT of variables come into play, not to mention the land geography. No simple answers, right?

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
To stay in the somewhat cheap and be able to withstand some upgrades on the OKWIN system you should look at the Uniden 996XT or a GRECOM PSR-600. Either one is Base/Mobile capable and should do the trick.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
To stay in the somewhat cheap and be able to withstand some upgrades on the OKWIN system you should look at the Uniden 996XT or a GRECOM PSR-600. Either one is Base/Mobile capable and should do the trick.

Look for the price of new BCDx96XTs to come down a little now that the BCDx96P2s are imminent (Bearcat Warehouse is accepting pre-orders). I don't know of any plans for more OKWIN sites to move to P25 but it's apparently inevitable. Will it be "Phase 2"? Who knows? Not me.

Also, please, whatever antenna you get do NOT use RG58 "CB coax" as feedline. RG58 is almost as good as damp string at 850 MHz, but not quite. And damp string is cheaper.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
eaf1956: You are right for 700 & 800 MHz frequencies. A yagi would always be best IF pointed to one area or if another station was within the bandwidth of that yagi. It might no work as weel is the second station was 90 or 180 degrees off. It would laso depend upon the distance to what you want to hear. A LOT of variables come into play, not to mention the land geography. No simple answers, right?

Well for 800 MHz I need to hear a tower at the North end of the county, therefore the yagi is pointed North. I also get a quite strong signal from the tower South which is much closer off the back and can even get some the West the next county over. However, for under 800 MHZ I have a comet diplexer and a little VHF/UHF Omni for basically everything else. Works quite well.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Look for the price of new BCDx96XTs to come down a little now that the BCDx96P2s are imminent (Bearcat Warehouse is accepting pre-orders). I don't know of any plans for more OKWIN sites to move to P25 but it's apparently inevitable. Will it be "Phase 2"? Who knows? Not me.

Also, please, whatever antenna you get do NOT use RG58 "CB coax" as feedline. RG58 is almost as good as damp string at 850 MHz, but not quite. And damp string is cheaper.

Same for RG 8 although it is somewhat better.

For your area Delaware, Craig and Ottawa. Everything is VHF with the exception of Grove which is UHF, All three counties along with tribal law enforcement are on the OKWIN 800 system currently analog but will eventually migrate to P25 as funds become available. Doubtful P25 Phase 2 will be implemented anytime soon.

Pretty much any current P25 capable scanner will work for you, buyers choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.