RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Classifieds > Old Classifieds Archives

Old Classifieds Archives This forum contains all old classifieds posts and threads, and will ultimately be deleted within the next month or so. Provided as a reference only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2004, 5:25 AM

Default Motorola HT1250 Programing (VHF-Hi)

I recently was given a Motorola HT1250 portable radio, but would like to reprogram (add/modify) some of the frequencies and zones. I've seen programming cables on eBay, but wasn't sure what type of program I would need for the computer and where to get it. Any help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 06-13-2004, 3:21 PM

I Was just woundering if these radios Had the Cloning abilty
Old 06-13-2004, 10:57 PM

The program you can only legally obtain from Motorola. It is the CPS/Pro series software. You need to call Motorola 1-800-422-4210 and request the license agreement. Then you pay their outrageous fee (I believe it is in the area of $300) and they will send you the software and the software manual.

As for the cloning yes. They make a cloning cable, but both radios must be the same model number and bandsplit.
Old 06-14-2004, 1:15 AM

Quote:
As for the cloning yes. They make a cloning cable, but both radios must be the same model number and bandsplit
so does that mean i have access to the one i want to clone its the same radio and everything both UHF will it work?
Old 06-14-2004, 5:41 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire-medic8104
The program you can only legally obtain from Motorola. It is the CPS/Pro series software. You need to call Motorola 1-800-422-4210 and request the license agreement. Then you pay their outrageous fee (I believe it is in the area of $300) and they will send you the software and the software manual.

As for the cloning yes. They make a cloning cable, but both radios must be the same model number and bandsplit.

Hahahahaha Motorola doesn't sell civilians CPS. There's no chance you'll get it from them.

-Josh
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2004, 10:04 AM

Josh, I have to disagree. I got mine very easily. I had the signed agreement already and I went to order it. They told me it was a different one for CPS. So I signed it sent it in, 30-40 days later, I recieved an email saying my M on-line account was updated and I could order it.

Chrish04, yes it they are the same radio and bandsplit. Motorola makes different splits in the UHF range, so it would have to be the same split. And when I say model number, I mean the 10-14 digit model number on the back. They have to be exactly the same, then if you have the cloning cable, you can clone it. But you are only going to copy from the host radio to the target radio exactly everything that is in there.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
Hahahahaha Motorola doesn't sell civilians CPS. There's no chance you'll get it from them.

-Josh
/\/\ sold CPS to me and didn't require any special identification. In fact, they just sent an update disk out of the clear blue sky last week (I guess I'm "subscribed", including updates, for a period of time...a year maybe?).

I've heard (don't know if it is true or not) that it depends on if there are any authorized radio shops in the immedate area that are licensed for your specific radio model's software. If not (such as in my case), they'll sell it to the end user.

8)
Old 06-14-2004, 1:42 PM

where do you find the cloning cable i have looked every where for one and cant find one.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-14-2004, 1:59 PM

Any Motorola dealer should be able to order it for you:

RKN4073A - HT PROFESSIONAL SERIES CLONING CABLE
$43.00 List Price
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2004, 3:03 PM

Does it come with instructions or is it pretty selfexplantory and easy to figure out?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-14-2004, 3:17 PM

[/quote]RKN4073A - HT PROFESSIONAL SERIES CLONING CABLE
Quote:

Is there a Website that sells these?
Old 06-14-2004, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish04
Is there a Website that sells these?
Here's one (bottom of the page - last item):

http://www.ht750.com/

I found it by doing a Google search for RKN4073

8)
Old 06-14-2004, 5:17 PM

www.myradiomall.com

$49.00
Old 07-17-2004, 11:02 AM

Default Programming

You will also need a Motorola RIB (Radio Interface Box) The best ones to buy are genuine motorola. If you get the wrong aftermarket you run the risk of "bricking" your radio and having to send it back to Motorola Depot!
Old 07-17-2004, 11:48 AM

You don't need a rib for the cloning cable only the programming cable and then you will also need the software.
Sponsored links
Old 07-17-2004, 11:53 AM

A RIB is not necessary for these units. The ribless programming cable (RKN4075A - comes with a 9-to 25 pin adapter) is all you'll need to utilize the software, so if you don't plan on programming other Motorola radios, don't waste your money on the RIB unit or its cable(s).

The software is Windows based and has no instructions as such and may seem a bit daunting at first, but the software contains a help/tutorial file and once you master it, you'll wonder what was so hard about it all.

The software will among other things, require you to enter the channels and all their parameters (called Personalities) in the Personality section, assign the personality to a Scan List, enter the signalling (if any) in its section, assign the Personalities to Zones, and at a minimum, enable scan parameters and channels for each Personality. Don't worry, if you choose something incompatible with the other choices you've already made, the software will tell you. The process begins with reading the radio and storing that codeplug immediately for reference and in case you screw up while learning. I would store it twice, once under a name that leaves NO doubt that is your original codeplug, and again under a working copy. Do not alter the original code plug because it could save your radio's butt.

Then you begin by working with the copy you just saved as your experimental codeplug. You can practice a bit by making the changes you think you want and storing the modifications you choose for review later under "Save As" rather than shooting the info to the radio and taking a chance on "bricking" it or overwriting your original codeplug. This will preserve the original codeplug for "rescue" programming when you "semi-brick" the thing. You can save several versions of the code plug under different names if you wish for travelling purposes or whatever.

The problem you'll find with the tutorial is that if you aren't already familiar with the terminology and don't already understand the parameters referred to in the software, you'll have a learning curve to deal with, and while the tutorial contains some explanation, it's likely not enough for the novice. This is where you could "brick" the radio possibly, but not likely if you put a little patience and trial-and-error work into the learning of the software along with a little advice from some of us without actually shooting the info into the radio. This process should get you cooking and not bricking.

Good luck.
Old 07-17-2004, 6:58 PM

Default HT1250

I was refering to needing a RIB to program it with the regular cable. I have not had good luck with aftermarket rib-less cables. I have bricked a HT1250 due to my laptop power cord getting tripped over.
Good luck!
Old 12-14-2005, 4:04 AM

If you are still loking for a program I might be able to help. E-mail me at rescuehd_69@yahoo.com
Old 11-14-2008, 6:35 PM

I realize this is an old thread but does anyone have the instructions on how to clone these radios. I have the cloning cable and I have a radio programmed the way I want it. I now need to clone it to about 40 other radios but I do not know what keys to hit to start the cloning process.