RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Canada Radio Discussion Forums > Ontario

Ontario Forum for discussing radio information in the province of Ontario.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 9:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default timmins police radios

Timmins Police now installing new high-tech data-radio system in all patrol cars - Timmins Times - Ontario, CA
Sponsored links
Old 01-19-2011, 10:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default 'scanner days are over'

wow 'SCANNER DAYS ARE OVER' wow timmins
Old 01-20-2011, 5:39 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Yes, so over...except for EVERY OTHER emergency service up there...

Honestly, if I had to choose one service here in Toronto that I have the least desire to hear is the Police. Sadly, we've already lost my favourite, Ambulance.
Old 01-20-2011, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exkalibur View Post

Honestly, if I had to choose one service here in Toronto that I have the least desire to hear is the Police. Sadly, we've already lost my favourite, Ambulance.
What?? Toronto EMS cannot be monitored anymore?????
Old 01-20-2011, 8:32 AM

Buczkowski said this should take away any advantage scanner-equipped criminals may have had in the past.
There have been occasions where there have been robberies or break-ins where the perpetrators were able to evade police because they knew the officers had received a call and were on their way.
"You'd see a busted door but they're gone. So there's the advantage of having an encrypted radio system. We have the one-up. Nobody can monitor the calls. They don't know that we're coming."

Timmins Daily Press

He said police are aware of several instances where break-ins and robberies occur when police are busy on other priority calls such as domestic disputes.
Buczkowski said there has also been instances where burglar alarms are activated and officers are dispatched only to find that the culprits have fled the scene.
Under the new system, the bad guys won't hear a thing. They won't know if they've tripped the alarm; they won't know where the police are patrolling and Buczkowski said, "They won't hear us coming to get them".

Timmins Times
Does anyone know if there have been any cases where the Timmins Police have found a criminal using a scanner in the manner he is referring to? The fact that bad guys have left the scene of a crime before the police arrive could be attributed to a few different reasons. :)

At least the Timmins Times article mentions the benefits the force had received from the public monitoring the radios. That's something I have not heard from a police department before.
Old 01-20-2011, 8:45 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Toronto EMS /can/ be monitored, but to make a long story short, only a very small percentage of their calls are voiced out anymore. The vast majority of them are done via computer. See this thread for more info and/or to continue the discussion: Toronto EMS "New Radios"
Old 01-20-2011, 8:54 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabber View Post
[indent]

Does anyone know if there have been any cases where the Timmins Police have found a criminal using a scanner in the manner he is referring to? The fact that bad guys have left the scene of a crime before the police arrive could be attributed to a few different reasons. :)

At least the Timmins Times article mentions the benefits the force had received from the public monitoring the radios. That's something I have not heard from a police department before.
I'd be willing to bet a weeks pay that there were WAY more instances of them getting good things from people with scanners than bad.
Old 01-20-2011, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exkalibur View Post

Toronto EMS are encrypted now? Last time I was there they were still operational on the Toronto analog system. Did they just move recently?
Old 01-20-2011, 11:52 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepura View Post
Toronto EMS are encrypted now? Last time I was there they were still operational on the Toronto analog system. Did they just move recently?
Not encrypted and did not move anywhere.

There is just not as much need to do over the air EMS comms.

In fact, during the Sgt.Russell funeral, I was hearing a conventional EMS channel being used. Ch.A13 Southwest Back -up - 862.7875 (118.8PL)

... and now, back to Timmins for our regularly scheduled programming.
Old 01-20-2011, 2:20 PM

Never heard of a criminal having a scanner in his possession at the time of the arrest but heard a couple of times that the police were looking for someone (and that someone was known to listen to a scanner) so everything related to that call was done over cell phones.
Old 01-22-2011, 7:04 PM

I think its unfortunate. Not only our we paying out the backside for the system but I think it is total overkill. Using publicly accessible airwaves has been great pr for the force and has been good for the community who feel involved with their force. Now things go dark and as far as policing in Timmins, nobody will really know what they do anymore.
Old 01-28-2011, 2:47 PM

Check out this document to know more about a MotoTRBO system and its radio : http://www.motorola.com/web/Business...df?localeId=33
Old 05-14-2011, 8:51 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Timmins Police encryption response

I don't listen to Timmins Police too often anymore. Yes it will be missed. On the positive side, my current broadcast of aviation frequencies won't get anymore interference. When Police Fire and ambulance or 2 of the 3 transmit at once, they end up broadcasting on my aircraft broadcasts.