Brant OPP - Closed Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

techmerlin

Premium Subscriber
Hey all,

I noticed a week or so ago I was getting less activity on my Pro 96 while listening to Brant OPP. I updated my Pro 96 with the newest info from RR and input only the main HWY and OPS talk groups (8208, 8192, 8512) I put it in closed mode as I did not want to listen to the MTO clear the highways yesterday with the storm and could not get a single hit.

I then ensured I have the primary and secondary frequencies correct (which they were) but still nothing, I then added more talk groups for OPP but nothing (which was a surprise being a busy night last night)

I then took it out of closed mode and could hear some OPP but allot of the MTO traffic as well. Has anyone been listening to the OPP traffic off the Brantford tower (141.7050 and 142.5900) ?

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
I have a different scanner than you but this may help....
My previously excellent Freescan OPP GTA file from TO-kris stopped hearing the OPP a while back. I can only guess that it was because they moved their talkgroups? The MOH stuff still comes in fine. Becuse I am still terrible at programming/creating new files, the only way I can get OPP in my area now is to run my 396xt in Search Mode.
BTW - I consider it a bonus to hear the MTO plows these days!

techmerlin

Premium Subscriber
Yes Plows are all good the last few days :)

I have run in open mode and found nothign other then the in the database, mostly Norfolk and Oxford OPP1OPS talk groups, but no Brantford at all.

Has anyone heard Brant (1OPS01) recently and may remember the talkgroup they were on?

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hey all,

I noticed a week or so ago I was getting less activity on my Pro 96 while listening to Brant OPP. I updated my Pro 96 with the newest info from RR and input only the main HWY and OPS talk groups (8208, 8192, 8512) I put it in closed mode as I did not want to listen to the MTO clear the highways yesterday with the storm and could not get a single hit.

I then ensured I have the primary and secondary frequencies correct (which they were) but still nothing, I then added more talk groups for OPP but nothing (which was a surprise being a busy night last night)

I then took it out of closed mode and could hear some OPP but allot of the MTO traffic as well. Has anyone been listening to the OPP traffic off the Brantford tower (141.7050 and 142.5900) ?

I am not sure how a Pro 96 handles patches but I occasionally listen to your tower and I see a few errors. If I may:

The frequencies are correct but as we speak I can verify that Brant 6 Bravo units are patched with t/g 8288, Haldimand 6 Charlie/6 Quebec 1st nations. These two detachements TG 8288 (Brant ) & 8288
are almost always patched together, you probably have to have them both entered into your scanner if you are using closed mode.

Also, if it matters you can at times listen to Norfolk Co & Oxford Co units popping up on Brantford.
The London wide talkgroup you listed can be active when units travelling thru the London dispatch area but is not usually that busy.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I have a different scanner than you but this may help....
My previously excellent Freescan OPP GTA file from TO-kris stopped hearing the OPP a while back. I can only guess that it was because they moved their talkgroups? The MOH stuff still comes in fine. Becuse I am still terrible at programming/creating new files, the only way I can get OPP in my area now is to run my 396xt in Search Mode.
BTW - I consider it a bonus to hear the MTO plows these days!

Nothing has changed talkgroup wise... As mentioned above they may be patched to another group (could be MNR or MTO Enforcement for example). If you don't have those talkgroups programmed in as well, you won't hear anything in closed mode. To be 100% sure of what's going on, you would need to setup Trunk88 or UniTrunker and take a look at what activity is on the tower you are listening to.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
You also mentioned the only way you hear the OPP is in search mode... What talkgroup does it show them on? Whatever it is, just save that talkgroup and go back to Scan mode.

techmerlin

Premium Subscriber
EJB,

I adding in the 8288 in with 8208 and hear alot of the chatter for the area on that group. I will run it for a bit and see what I hear.

thanks

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
EJB,

I adding in the 8288 in with 8208 and hear alot of the chatter for the area on that group. I will run it for a bit and see what I hear.

thanks

When you hear " 6 Bravo" it is a Brant Co. unit, when you hear 6 Charlie it is a unit from Haldimand Co and when you hear 6 Quebec it is a OPP officer from the First Nations area,

If you have a tapped scanner and are seriously into this you can monitor everything that the control channel sees using Trunk 88 software. It tells you everything and the designer of the software will even pull your car out of a ditch if you are in Toronto, lol. Seriously, all the radio affiliations, rejections, what t/g's are patched, etc.

techmerlin

Premium Subscriber
Hey all,

so an update on this, I have had the chance to do some testing over the weekend and I have found even if I load the talkgroups 8288, 8208 and put the bank in "Closed" mode I can nto hear anything from them. meanwhile if I load another bank wiht the same frequencies and leave it in "open" mode i hear all the chatter and in fact the 8288 shows up.

I have gone through all the other bank settings and even loaded up all the frequencies and no difference.

Anyone have any ideas? I mean I can always lock out talkgroups if needed but I would like to figure out this closed mode issue.

thansk

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hey all,

so an update on this, I have had the chance to do some testing over the weekend and I have found even if I load the talkgroups 8288, 8208 and put the bank in "Closed" mode I can nto hear anything from them. meanwhile if I load another bank wiht the same frequencies and leave it in "open" mode i hear all the chatter and in fact the 8288 shows up.

I have gone through all the other bank settings and even loaded up all the frequencies and no difference.

Anyone have any ideas? I mean I can always lock out talkgroups if needed but I would like to figure out this closed mode issue.

thansk

Is there some sort of setting that allows for patches or how is your status bit set on the group where you dont hear anything? Is it set differently than the group that is in open mode?

techmerlin

Premium Subscriber
I found it, in the programming of the Pro 96, FUNC-3 sets the table. When I looked at it in Arc96 the table was set to multiple in FUNC-3, I set back to single and it appears to have got this resolved.

Not sure when or WHY, this changed but never the less it is fixed, closed mode is again working

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I don't like to bad mouth specific software packages, but I found several times while using the Arc software it would change settings that I didn't ask it to do. Caused lots of grief to say the least. I've been using Win96 exclusively for my Pro-96 and it is excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.