RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Canada Radio Discussion Forums > Ontario

Ontario Forum for discussing radio information in the province of Ontario.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyj77 View Post
Hopefully P25 which is designed and meant for public safety and not TRBO which is for business industrial use which has unfortunately made its way into some public safety systems

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
So many smaller and some not so small emergency services departments in the states are now using TRBO and some in Canada as well I think you will find MotoTRBO will become the defacto standard for rural and smaller town and city police, fire, utilities, transit, etc. P25 will go to the larger cities and the hardware is now mil-spec, the audio is as good or better than P25 if the system is installed properly and there is a major price advantage with TRBO and encryption in included and only a few mouse clicks away.

What I can't understand if TRBO is based on an open DMR standard then why can't a scanner be made for TRBO, of course if a scanner came out for TRBO it would be a matter of a month or two and all TRBO using agencies would just enable encryption at no extra cost to them so maybe that's why Uniden is reluctant to invest resources?
Sponsored links
Old 04-13-2013, 11:54 PM
Mentor
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

You pretty much answered your own question. Absolutely.. A TRBO scanner could exist if Uniden/GRE (If they are still in business) pays the licensing rights... and I also agree that it would be great for abou ta year... until all the system admins started clicking on the Privacy button. Given the R&D costs + licensing fees... I wouldn't hold my breath to see a TRBO scanner anytime soon. Realistically Uniden is the only one left in the market, and unless they are already heavily committed to a new scanner supporting TRBO I don't see it happening. Oh, and yes... In my area at least TRBO is everywhere, public safety and otherwise. The city of Sarnia has a ton of it... Public works, transit and fire are all TRBO. Around my area it's almost too much to list.. Strathroy-Caradoc Police, Wingham Police, Strathroy-Caradoc Works, University of Western Ontario, Fanshawe College, plus many others in London. Last I heard South Huron (Exeter area) fire department was going TRBO. It has a very attractive feature set for a very competitive price compared to P25.

Last edited by Forts; 04-13-2013 at 11:57 PM..
Old 04-14-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forts View Post
You pretty much answered your own question. Absolutely.. A TRBO scanner could exist if Uniden/GRE (If they are still in business) pays the licensing rights... and I also agree that it would be great for abou ta year... until all the system admins started clicking on the Privacy button. Given the R&D costs + licensing fees... I wouldn't hold my breath to see a TRBO scanner anytime soon. Realistically Uniden is the only one left in the market, and unless they are already heavily committed to a new scanner supporting TRBO I don't see it happening. Oh, and yes... In my area at least TRBO is everywhere, public safety and otherwise. The city of Sarnia has a ton of it... Public works, transit and fire are all TRBO. Around my area it's almost too much to list.. Strathroy-Caradoc Police, Wingham Police, Strathroy-Caradoc Works, University of Western Ontario, Fanshawe College, plus many others in London. Last I heard South Huron (Exeter area) fire department was going TRBO. It has a very attractive feature set for a very competitive price compared to P25.
I wonder how long Uniden will be able to keep the product line going with more and more radio users becoming non-scannable, sales must be dropping, sadly.
Old 08-31-2013, 4:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Its gonna be soon is what I hear.
There's a new antenna on our water tower and our pagers Swissphone re729 , are supposed to be ordered. I also heard that other departments in the county are getting the Swissphone HURRICANE DUO | Swissphone pagers. Was told that we're supposed to be able to talk county wide so I guess that means some kind of repeater. Thats all I know for now.
Old 10-13-2013, 7:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Anyone know what frequency the numeric paging would be on? I've checked the Industry Canada site for frequencies and nothings popping out that's new other than 164.325 and 166.965.
Sponsored links
Old 10-23-2013, 4:53 PM

Default Let the testing begin

Lots of activity today, scanner is picking up the techs doing testing, it's all p25 and my
Bearcat is picking it up crystal clear
Old 10-24-2013, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_crash911 View Post
Lots of activity today, scanner is picking up the techs doing testing, it's all p25 and my
Bearcat is picking it up crystal clear
So this is their new conventional or trunked system? P25 and do we have the frequencies?

There was some talk earlier they went TRBO but someone else mentioned they ordered P25 radios and now you are hearing good clear P25 so this may be good news for scanner listeners.
Old 10-25-2013, 1:10 PM

Default Lots of activity

P25 on frequency on 166.965, all kinds of testing going on
Old 10-26-2013, 5:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The mobiles are installed in our trucks, Motorola XTL2500. What's interesting is there's 4 new channels, Leeds, Leeds Tac, Grenville & Grenville Tac. I was only expecting to see 2 new channels.
Sponsored links
Old 10-28-2013, 5:22 AM

Default Leeds and Grenville county fire

As far as I know they will be using 154.430 for digital paging, so don't be surprised to heat digital pocsag on it for testing, sound like they will putting in more shacks this week!!!! Now we need someone to find out when the official switch day is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2013, 7:26 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm told that we won't be getting the new portables until the new year.
I will set up on 154.430 to see if I get any digital paging.
Old 10-28-2013, 2:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Plugged the P25 frequency in to the PSR600 the other day. Picking them up fine and dandy here with base antenna.

45.174595 -75.280051
Old 11-02-2013, 4:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfdfortynine View Post
The mobiles are installed in our trucks, Motorola XTL2500. What's interesting is there's 4 new channels, Leeds, Leeds Tac, Grenville & Grenville Tac. I was only expecting to see 2 new channels.
I did some testing of my own today

Leeds CH is 166.965 Rx, 171.165 Tx
Leeds Tac CH is 166.965 Tx and Rx

Grenville CH is 164.325 Rx, 171.645 Tx
Grenville Tac CH is 164.325 Tx and Rx
Old 12-13-2013, 5:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_crash911 View Post
As far as I know they will be using 154.430 for digital paging, so don't be surprised to heat digital pocsag on it for testing, sound like they will putting in more shacks this week!!!! Now we need someone to find out when the official switch day is[/URL]
I'm hearing official switch over is end of January. I've gotten no hits on the paging yet on 154.430. Anyone know if there's been pager testing yet?
Old 01-20-2014, 7:19 AM

Late sunday afternoon I heard P25 activity on 164.325 NAC=316. It consisted of short
sets of warble tones and some dead air, but no speaking.

Dave
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2014, 10:18 AM

I'm getting control channel noise on 166.965 this morning...none of my radios are registering it as P25..It just stops, and makes noise...I've got it programmed in as a conventional channel with audio type set to digital..369xt, 996t, & 996xt all doing the same thing...Unitrunker not detecting any system on that channel either.. Am I doing something wrong here?
Old 01-20-2014, 10:29 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Update

Still no hits on the digital paging, haven't confirmed the frequency yet.
We have all the new pagers and portables in house, mobiles have been in trucks for a while using analogue.
Our dispatch is getting new Bell lines to Brockville etc. Our dispatch will be a backup if something goes wrong in Brockville.
Old 01-20-2014, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJ View Post
I'm getting control channel noise on 166.965 this morning...none of my radios are registering it as P25..It just stops, and makes noise...I've got it programmed in as a conventional channel with audio type set to digital..369xt, 996t, & 996xt all doing the same thing...Unitrunker not detecting any system on that channel either.. Am I doing something wrong here?
Since it's conventional, that would not be control channel noise...is it on constantly? If
you don't figure out what out is, maybe post a sound clip....

Heard something today rather garbled....possibly enc.? I must be getting it off the
Millar's Corners site.

BTW, I must have the only PSR600 scanner which displays NACs.

Dave

Last edited by DaveH; 01-20-2014 at 3:21 PM..
Old 01-21-2014, 10:46 AM

Default Leeds and Grenville county fire

I am getting the same off mine, I have set my scanner to p25 system and input the 2 frequencies, just waiting now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2014, 7:14 AM

I went over to 166.965 at my end and heard the CC-like noise yesterday,
went off, back on now. It didn't decode on anything I tried. Maybe it's test data
transmission; or are they planing to use MDT's?

Dave