RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Canada Radio Discussion Forums > Ontario

Ontario Forum for discussing radio information in the province of Ontario.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 1:31 PM

Uniscope is a feature with unitrunker....lets you see the signal waveform..

Old 02-14-2014, 2:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJ View Post
Uniscope is a feature with unitrunker....lets you see the signal waveform..
I did a quick google search and you can download it also. Looks like its similar to audacity. Will have a look tonight with software, maybe I will compare tapped an untapped waveforms... to get an idea of levels. Yay something to look forward to after shoveling snow.
Old 02-14-2014, 6:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfdfortynine View Post
I did a quick google search and you can download it also. Looks like its similar to audacity. Will have a look tonight with software, maybe I will compare tapped an untapped waveforms... to get an idea of levels. Yay something to look forward to after shoveling snow.
hmmm not much to see with uniscope. Parts came so I tapped the 2005..... receiving at 100% now. Supposed to be some pager testing tomorrow afternoon so I should see some codes which are the final pieces to the puzzle.
Old 02-14-2014, 6:51 PM

Punch these in,, not anything interesting, but you should be able to see the info..
Old 02-14-2014, 7:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJ View Post
Punch these in,, not anything interesting, but you should be able to see the info..
Yes thank you, I use 149.770 regularly to set up. Its the cap codes I'm referring to. Need them for the filters. The fire pages will be re-routed to cell phones. Should be 3 codes for each department/station. Call, Stand down and Message.

BTW been paging KFR for some time if you need some info.
Old 02-14-2014, 9:04 PM

Perfect, If I need anything, I'll send you a PM.. Thanks..I think I'm all set up, testing the email right now.
Old 02-15-2014, 3:33 PM

P25 voice on 164.325 sounds pretty good (excepting the PSR600 swishiness in
decoding). I need a scuba-tank RF filter to keep everything else out, so hard to
jump around in frequency.

There should be another NAC on there for tactical but have only seen 316 so far.

Paging on 154.430 was going continuously yesterday, then stopped. Must have
been testing as noted earlier.

Dave
Old 02-15-2014, 4:33 PM

Thanks for the pointers on PDW & the test frequencies. I have those frequencies decoding perfectly, so I know I should have things set up right. Now I just need to wait for L&G to start paging again. :-)

The stuff they were doing Friday decoded more or less to "coveragetestinginprocess" (there may have been spaces, but I wasn't decoding well at the time).

Brad.
Old 02-15-2014, 6:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Talking

Lots of direct pager testing tonight (with pagers). Getting 100% signal. Also discovered its gonna be twitter or email to the phones. With direct texting its not enough characters, thats a PDW thing.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
P25 voice on 164.325 sounds pretty good (excepting the PSR600 swishiness in
decoding). I need a scuba-tank RF filter to keep everything else out, so hard to
jump around in frequency.

There should be another NAC on there for tactical but have only seen 316 so far.

Paging on 154.430 was going continuously yesterday, then stopped. Must have
been testing as noted earlier.

Dave
They also voice page on the same 154.430 freq? if so you might want to search for a CTCSS/DPL tone when they are actually voicing, that tone when entered into the scanner will help you not hear that data noise all the time when they page.
Old 02-16-2014, 4:11 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech4064 View Post
They also voice page on the same 154.430 freq? if so you might want to search for a CTCSS/DPL tone when they are actually voicing, that tone when entered into the scanner will help you not hear that data noise all the time when they page.
154.430 is the old dispatch channel which has been re-purposed to digital paging. Once the transition to digital paging is completed, there will be no more voice on that frequency.
Old 02-17-2014, 7:29 AM

And I actually did run a CTCSS search during both digital & voice paging and there is none for either. But that makes sense since the voice stuff should go away soon.

I'm curious to see how long it takes for them to realize that text-based callouts are a really bad idea. There's a reason why paramedics & police don't use them. Texts are okay for non-urgent stuff, not for callouts.
Old 02-17-2014, 6:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpsmicro View Post
And I actually did run a CTCSS search during both digital & voice paging and there is none for either. But that makes sense since the voice stuff should go away soon.

I'm curious to see how long it takes for them to realize that text-based callouts are a really bad idea. There's a reason why paramedics & police don't use them. Texts are okay for non-urgent stuff, not for callouts.
Unfortunately I don't think there's many other options for Fire Departments to upgrade to. I'm not sure there's such a thing as a digital voice pager. I know some members don't like the new methods of paging. Losing the ability to monitor the fire channel with the pager is a big one. (BTW I've got an app for that ) Now you could argue that responses have evolved. Mostly in L&G, volunteer ffs respond to the station and not direct to the scene because of safety. So the text pagers job is really to get them to the station and once on route dispatch gives the full update of the situation.

All stations dispatched by Brockville go live on Wed 10AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 8:06 AM

Yeah, I remember when it was common for FF to respond direct to scene. Unfortunately, as you likely well know, that too often resulted in a FF arriving at a scene without the adequate equipment to actually *do* anything, which resulted in pretty bad optics. I remember the new edicts that FF are *supposed* to always go to station first.

I just hope some FF who's out driving around town doesn't get into some accident or other trouble while trying to read the pager messages. The exemptions to the "no texting while driving" laws won't apply to them. And regardless the optics of *that* aren't great either. :-(

Meanwhile, PDW refuses to cooperate for me on 154.43. All other other POCSAG frequencies posted for testing are flawless, but UniScope shows an unusual waveform on 154.43 that I can't clean up no matter what I do. I'm hoping they do another round of testing so I can try some other things. Failing that, I'll have to get some other PDW user to plug in an e-mail address for me. :-)

Brad.
Old 02-18-2014, 8:55 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpsmicro View Post
Yeah, I remember when it was common for FF to respond direct to scene. Unfortunately, as you likely well know, that too often resulted in a FF arriving at a scene without the adequate equipment to actually *do* anything, which resulted in pretty bad optics. I remember the new edicts that FF are *supposed* to always go to station first.

I just hope some FF who's out driving around town doesn't get into some accident or other trouble while trying to read the pager messages. The exemptions to the "no texting while driving" laws won't apply to them. And regardless the optics of *that* aren't great either. :-(

Meanwhile, PDW refuses to cooperate for me on 154.43. All other other POCSAG frequencies posted for testing are flawless, but UniScope shows an unusual waveform on 154.43 that I can't clean up no matter what I do. I'm hoping they do another round of testing so I can try some other things. Failing that, I'll have to get some other PDW user to plug in an e-mail address for me. :-)

Brad.

Actually the texting laws do apply. We have been instructed to pull over and read the text. I have heard of KFR volunteers being pulled over for reading their fire pagers. At the time KFR ended up giving all the volunteers portable scanners so they could hear updates.
Not sure why you have so much trouble on 154.430 maybe its your location. I have 2 scanners receiving 100%. One tapped the other not. The untapped one is actually being used for TTD paging so I was surprised it would even work because volume is set higher for voice. I would expect there will be more testing soon, LTI and Gan haven't received the new pagers yet.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:32 AM

Yeah, I meant the *exemptions* don't apply. They're for Police & Paramedics (and similar) only. And even then, I know the paramedic services have installed bluetooth handsfree for all the phones. And since medics are usually in pairs, radio operation isn't as much of an issue.
Unfortunately the cost of P25-capable portable scanners is going to be a bit of a downer for those who like to listen. :-(

I finally have PDW working. I suspected that because of the big-*** tower I'm using, I was likely getting signals from more than one Fire tower at the same time, and there was just enough offset/interference to mess up the decoder. I changed that scanner for the crappiest set-back antenna I could find in my junk box, and now I'm decoding properly. Yay!
Old 02-18-2014, 3:09 PM

Don't have a lot of time some days to be hanging around listening but spending some time brushing dogs today and picking up some chatter about hydrants being flushed.

WOW! Does it ever come in nice and clear.
Old 02-20-2014, 5:02 AM

Default Leeds and Grenville county fire

I guess the new paging system does not reach into Kingston , and I noticed last night different signal strength in the paging, I thought it was bro be county wide, when Grenville departments were paged out last night it was about strength 2, and when Leeds departments were paged it was strength 5. I am in the west end of Leeds,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2014, 6:16 AM

Default Re: Leeds and Grenville county fire

I have pdw setup and running, I have it set to just Decode for now until I see what I'm going to get, i went through the manual and software quick, but is there a way to only Decode or send certain pages for a specific department? I'm assuming I will need cap codes and pdw is supposed to Decode cap codes? But where do I go from there with that? I only want my department pages to be Sent via email.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-20-2014, 8:31 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyj77 View Post
I have pdw setup and running, I have it set to just Decode for now until I see what I'm going to get, i went through the manual and software quick, but is there a way to only Decode or send certain pages for a specific department? I'm assuming I will need cap codes and pdw is supposed to Decode cap codes? But where do I go from there with that? I only want my department pages to be Sent via email.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
You will need to set up filters and filter the output file. Use the address (cap code) as the filter. Set up email to send Filtered only.
I have seen every code except for LTI and Gan from the testing last weekend. They're easy to figure out, you will probably want 3 codes for 3 filters. One for a Call, another for Stand Down and another for Message.

BTW I have found out the right settings for text messages or Twitter. For text messages you set email to send message. For Twitter you set email to send subject.
I'm ready the hard work is done... now I just wait for our system to go live...............