Leeds and Grenville county fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

captain_crash911

Premium Subscriber
can anyone confirm that Leeds and Greenville is going digital. I heard that they made a decision finally on
the new radio and tower and that all firefighter will carry digital( alpha) pagers.

gfdfortynine

I haven't heard anything recently. Heard awhile back that we are going digital, but wasn't until 2015ish. Will take that long to come up with a down payment. As far as I know nothing been chosen.

I can hardly wait......everyone I know that have alpha pagers hate them.

captain_crash911

Premium Subscriber
update

it looks like the whole county fire system is going to p25.
according to industry canada , there will be vhf pairs simulcast on 7 to 8 towers.
all paging will be with aplha pagers that will stretch to kingston to morrisburg to Carlton place.
the frequencies to monitor are 154.430, 163.545,166.965,
I do not know what will happen with 154.340 or 154.070 but They already probably thought of that.

DaveH

TAFL no longer shows 163.545 for L&G P25, only 164.325 and 166.965.
154.430 does not show as a P25 frequency.

Dave

Jammin_Jay

I don't know about 154.430, if it will remain
As a backup. But 154.070 would remain part of the system,
It would be analog though, the other 2 frequencies would
Be p25.. Its the same as opc 142.770, if a police service
Switches over to p25, the radio service provider will have
The opc channel programmed as analog because no opc
Channel I know is p25, as a base standard for all police radios
In Ontario registered with industry canada

gfdfortynine

Gananoque Fire will be P25 in 2013

Gananoque council passed a motion to move forward with the new communications system.
Leeds and Thousand Island council also passed a motion to proceed but I am not sure of their time line. I assume it will be soon because we share a Fire Chief and have signed a new automatic aid agreement with them.
Brockville Fire Dispatch already has the new console installed.

The attached PDF shows the council report with a detailed quote of the equipment to be installed.

Attachments

• REP - GB - 2012-02-FIRE - County Communications (amended 3).pdf
    196.2 KB · Views: 749

DaveH

Bottom line is, rather than relying on press releases and public goings-on,
I'd continue to monitor the new frequencies for activity, and keep checking
TAFL for any changes.

Dave

IFD10

All South Dundas stations (Iroquois, Morrisburg, Williamsburg) are now digital. Dispatch is provided by Brockville. Has anyone been listening down this way?

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
All South Dundas stations (Iroquois, Morrisburg, Williamsburg) are now digital. Dispatch is provided by Brockville. Has anyone been listening down this way?
Have not been listening yet but should be close enough to give it a try.

Any consensus on what freqs to plug in?

I would like to get some info as Brother-in-law is VFD and his wife would like to get a scanner.

DaveH

Have not been listening yet but should be close enough to give it a try.

Any consensus on what freqs to plug in?

I would like to get some info as Brother-in-law is VFD and his wife would like to get a scanner.

Perhaps you should search out a TRBO-capable scanner for your brother-in-law....

Dave

IFD10

I'm not sure of our new frequency at the moment but I do know that the rest of South Eastern Ontario is working on 154.130. This would be stations such as Ingleside, Long Sault, Newington, St. Andrews. Possibly Finch, Maxville. I will try to find out some more info on the new system being used in South Dundas.

DaveH

Besides tone/voice paging on 154.130, there is grinding digital
noise which is not P25. As for other frequencies, someone can check
TAFL under "Morrisburg" etc.

Dave

IFD10

Well I have found out that we are using the new TRBO system. Also within the next few years anyone that is dispatched by Brockville will be using this system. Is there any scanner available yet to listen to this system?

DaveH

Well I have found out that we are using the new TRBO system. Also within the next few years anyone that is dispatched by Brockville will be using this system. Is there any scanner available yet to listen to this system?

None at present and nothing definite in the works, that I'm aware. Assuming they don't
use "privacy" (encryption), which is TBD, there are a couple of choices. Easiest/cheapest but not
convenient is the software solution (DSD running on a Windows/Linux PC). Second is buy a "real" radio
on eBay (or elsewhere) and get it programmed; this one is more complex/expensive, can't
advise further as I haven't done it, and real radios have to be handled with care, which
includes not transmitting.

Dave

DaveH

...and keeping in mind that DSD requires a radio with discriminator tap, won't
work from speaker or earphone jack audio. It's a perfect use for a good old cheap
scanner with limited capabilities (why tie up an expensive trunked scanner) with
ideally a good RF front-end (to resist paging intermod etc.). Larger base/mobile
scanners are generally easier to work on, than handheld ones.

I'm hearing 1-2s digital bursts every few minutes on 154.13. DMRDecode could be run
to get some info (such as privacy), but that software does not decode voice. It
also needs discriminator audio.

Dave

gfdfortynine

So I'm wondering... I've had a look at the equipment quotes for my department and it lists xts and xtl 2500 radios. From their spec sheets, it looks like they are p25 radios and not trbo am I wrong?

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
So I'm wondering... I've had a look at the equipment quotes for my department and it lists xts and xtl 2500 radios. From their spec sheets, it looks like they are p25 radios and not trbo am I wrong?
Having a peek at the sheets it appears that the TRBO radios are a completely different line up.

I know the lads at the FD I spoke to claimed they knew it was P25.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.