Halton's new system garbled??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokey

The fire department from the 3 municipalities in Halton don't sound crystal clear and at times garbled. Does everyone else have this issue? If not, I am using a 396t that I used the Arc software to setup and maybe there are tweaks that someone could help me out with.

Thank you.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
If you aren't receiving a very good signal, digital can often sound as though it is encrypted. That is, it sounds very "digital" for lack of a better word.

Where are you located? You should be able to receive at least one site full quieting.

There's only two sites now, north and south.

North sites are located at Acton, Moffat, Georgetown. South sites are located at Brant/Lakeshore, Bronte/Lakeshore, Rattlesnake Point & Sheridan College.

pokey

Thanks Excalibur. I am west Milton. I pick up south tower only. Yes it's definitely not clear like the old system....just as how you described it.

SCPD

QRT
halton system

hi. I am in Oakville and i hear the system often gambled, funny enough it seems to be picked up easier and clearer in my car all over Oakville and right out to Toronto.

I suggest if your in Milton - use the milton frequencies, you will still pick up all the same IDs as if you are using the South tower.

cheers

mciupa

Database Admin
Sunday I was in Milton hearing both towers no problem. Yesterday, I was at McMaster in Hamilton and heard only the South Site with no issues, including a Halton Hills Fire call that was on the South site.

This is with a HomePatrol and 800 MHz RadioShack antenna.

SCPD

QRT
I have experienced the garbled or missed transmissions issued on both Halton towers with both my 396XT and 996T as well and in various parts of Halton, Fire seems to be the worst, works talkgroups seem better now I have everything on the default levels.

London's new P25 system on the other hand is one of the best I have heard along with Niagara falls fire and Go transit but I am wondering if it has something to do with Halton being 6.25Khz narrowband and some scanners not being able to handle is as well as others?

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9360; en) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.391 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I don't really have issues with any audio from any of the users on the Halton system.

As others mentioned, it might be that you being in Milton, you might be far enough away from the Torrence St site to have issues? Aren't you closer to the Milton area tower, the escarpment is where many a radio system go to die.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I would say in Milton you should be picking up the south tower with very little difficulty, given that you're in fairly close proximity to the Rattlesnake Point tower.

If you still aren't picking up the system clearly, I'd take a second look at your setup. Make sure you're using the correct frequencies (IE, the base frequency isn't screwed up and putting you off frequency by 6.25kHz or some such), make sure you have the scanner set to NFM. Also, you might be getting overloaded by cellphone interference. Try turning on the attenuation. Although it will reduce the signal, it might reduce the interference just enough to make the system come in loud and clear.

pokey

I changed from auto to nfm and turned attenuation on and it was worse! I find when I'm out and about it is abit better though.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
I just put this system into my 396XT and I get a full 5 bars here in east mississauga..(Connected to my roof antenna) Whats the range on this new Halton system?

Jason

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9360; en) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.391 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

02blackss said:
I just put this system into my 396XT and I get a full 5 bars here in east mississauga..(Connected to my roof antenna) Whats the range on this new Halton system?

Jason

I can get it at work at 403/Dundas and I can hear it in the west end of Toronto.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
As far as range, it is obviously designed to work very well in all of Halton. As a result, you'll be able to pick it up a lot further away. I can pick it up from downtown Toronto on a 396 with little difficulty.

SCPD

QRT
As far as range, it is obviously designed to work very well in all of Halton. As a result, you'll be able to pick it up a lot further away. I can pick it up from downtown Toronto on a 396 with little difficulty.

Signal is good but the audio is choppy or it simply doesn't always stop on a talkgroup, one radio will stop but the other will just keep scanning, this only seems to be a problem on the Halton P25, will have to closely check settings and stuff next time I am out that way.

SCPD

QRT
halton system

next time your out here - you may want to try turning on the attenuator as well, the signal will be weaker, maybe alot - but you may hear more without noise that could be interfering in your signal.

cheers

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
The Halton system is Simulcast whereas the London system is not. I wonder if that might be part of the issue?

SCPD

QRT
The Halton system is Simulcast whereas the London system is not. I wonder if that might be part of the issue?

Interesting, and I have read that the Unidens have a problem with P25 simulcast systems in the states and it still has not been fixed via firmware updates, that might be it.

What I did do though is change my modulation to AUTO for the system frequencies and it sounds a lot less choppy, not as good as GO transit or London's P25 but a bit better.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Scanners and simulcast P25 systems typically don't play well together at all. When I'm in Sarnia trying to listen to MPSCS across the border it's a total crap shoot on any of my digital scanners. Sounds great one minute, not worth a crap the next. The reception using a 'real' radio is like night and day.

glennradio

Premium Subscriber
Halton garbled?

Hey Pokey, I didn't see anywhere what antenna you are using. If your inside and using the stock antenna with your radio, I can understand why the signal is not too good. If you can get an external antenna hooked up with some decent coax that will handle the 800 mhz band without significant losses, you'll probably get the north and south towers without much difficulty. I'm over in east Milton using an external antenna and receive both towers fine; when inside I use an 800 mhz handheld antenna and receive the north tower without problem. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.