New Fleetnet Site in Zone 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocscan

Premium Subscriber
Tonight I logged Site 37 from Ottawa. the Control Channel was/is on 143.0700. Trunk88 is giving it a 99% decode, and my Pro-197 is decoding the P25 with very little motorboating. So far I have a total of 5 frequencies logged, and based on the TG's heard its likely coming in from east of Ottawa. Trunk88 is decoding the site name as MILRCR, and lists 02,04,05,06,07,08 and 09 as neighbors.

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
I really doubt its east of Ottawa because its neighbours aren't including 03 Alfred or 34 Vankleek hill..i would be more inclined,to,think south west of Ottawa: maybe Kemptville area or west of that...there seems to be a gap in the area around Merrickville that could use a tower site according to the tower site map.

Last edited:

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Coming in full bars here in Morewood. Some 2OPS34 traffic.
Perfect voice on the 396XT. Set search and store to see what comes up.

Last edited:

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
....maybe Kemptville area or west of that....
Maybe part of it was to fix that dead zone in downtown Kemptville. I always seem to get crappy reception in Kemptville. Winchester gets real scratchy and Prescott is not great either.

Will have to go out touring with the antenna off and track it down.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
If you average the lat/long of the advertised neighbors, you get 45.03250373, -75.66496912 which is very close to Kemptville. In fact, the flag is a few meters north of an OPP detachment.

I did a Geographical search on Spectrum Direct using the above coords and a 10km radius, and found that Bell Paging has a site called Millar's Corners which is actually several miles south of Kemptville at 44.96048, -75.58534.

Last edited:

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
If you average the lat/long of the advertised neighbors, you get 45.03250373, -75.66496912 which is very close to Kemptville. In fact, the flag is a few meters north of an OPP detachment.

I did a Geographical search on Spectrum Direct using the above coords and a 10km radius, and found that Bell Paging has a site called Millar's Corners which is actually several miles south of Kemptville at 44.96048, -75.58534.
Interesting, was at the brother-in-laws on Christmas Eve talking to him and some other guys from the VFD and they were talking about the going to P25 and a new site that was supposed to be firing up just down the road from his place on Townline Rd.

But is the Leeds-Grenville switch supposed to have anything to do with Bell?

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't know anything about "the switch", but Bell is the vendor for the provincial radio system. FleetNet is a Bell trademark.
They said all they knew was the new radios are P25 and were talking about the new site. His wife wants help setting up a scanner at home. Thinking ahead to figure out what she will need.

mciupa

Database Admin
Keep us informed, submit the data when ready and it will be added to the database. :cool:

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Tonight I logged Site 37 from Ottawa. the Control Channel was/is on 143.0700. Trunk88 is giving it a 99% decode, and my Pro-197 is decoding the P25 with very little motorboating. So far I have a total of 5 frequencies logged, and based on the TG's heard its likely coming in from east of Ottawa. Trunk88 is decoding the site name as MILRCR, and lists 02,04,05,06,07,08 and 09 as neighbors.
Are you getting six frequencies now?
At 14:19:09 I got "All trunks busy; 5 Voice channels in use"

Last edited:

bpsmicro

I'm getting it full-scale on the portable 15km west of Kemptville, so that definitely indicates a Kemptville-area location. They must still be programming it, because for the first couple of hours I was only getting the OPP TGs, and then just recently I started getting Kingston East (EMS). The timing actually corresponds with David's "all trunks busy" indication. So they may be adding TGs to the site list, and may have to play with the list (I can't imagine why we'd want 2OPS34 way out here, for example).
Still, it'll be nice to be able to use the portable at home for a change. :)

Brad.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
I'm wondering if the terrain may be any different for listening while at work at Ottawa Airport. Depending on how planes are parked in the hangar sometimes I don't get Winchester form inside. Ottawa gets a bit quiet for OPP later at night. Sometimes I have to roll the toolbox out by the hangar doors!:D

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada

I am not a tech by any means,so this might be a stupid question, but 143.0700 is also the control channel for site 34 in Vankleek Hill...would they have 2 tower sites that close to each other using the same control channel freq? Line of site from Vankleek to Millar's corners is what..less than 50 miles?

DaveH

They must still be programming it, because for the first couple of hours I was only getting the OPP TGs, and then just recently I started getting Kingston East (EMS).

Brad.

According to my source, it was fully active on Dec. 16th, if not earlier.

Dave

DaveH

Interesting, was at the brother-in-laws on Christmas Eve talking to him and some other guys from the VFD and they were talking about the going to P25 and a new site that was supposed to be firing up just down the road from his place on Townline Rd.

But is the Leeds-Grenville switch supposed to have anything to do with Bell?

If you check TAFL, L&G licences show P25 on different frequencies (which have been
known for awhile) including site at Millar's Corners.

Dave

Last edited:

DaveH

I am not a tech by any means,so this might be a stupid question, but 143.0700 is also the control channel for site 34 in Vankleek Hill...would they have 2 tower sites that close to each other using the same control channel freq? Line of site from Vankleek to Millar's corners is what..less than 50 miles?

True, but there's topography involved...one might have asked all of a sudden why Site 34
was so strong.. Hopefully they know what they're doing, and we don't end up with a situation
similar to what a couple of other nearby sites had.

Dave

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber

I don't see that being an issue. I am in Morewood with antenna up 40 feet and can't get a sniff of VanKleek hill.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Even if you could hear both control channels, systems have functions in place to keep them separate, like connect tones on Motorola Type II systems and NACs on P25 systems. (Scanners don't honor these features but professional radios do.)

Status
Not open for further replies.