Northeastern Ontario - New Liskeard help

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoingCrazy

Hello guys, new to the forum, I live in New Liskeard and the one frequency shows up on my pro-106 and is used by the OPP quite often 143.375, I listen to them and it is the OPP for sure, would anyone else be from my area? There was a fellow broadcasting here up until a couple years ago, don't know why he went offline. I am thinking of trying it if I can figure it out....lol im a dummy when it comes to electronincs, I couldn't turn a computer on a year ago, and now this radio has me lost, everyone tells me I should have bought a more user friendly radio, any help would be great, thanks again.

DaveH

What you will hear for OPP on one frequency is going to be only part of the
big picture as most of their activity on VHF is on a shared system (Fleetnet
Zone 3). There are some discrete UHF frequencies listed in the database
here, but mostly mobile repeaters with limited range.

Is the frequency 143.370 (143.375 is 5kHz off) or 141.375? In any case
it's only one of several which are assigned by the system so I imagine
you're getting only message fragments.

Modern scanners are by necessity fairly complex to deal with modern
trunked systems (and other features), so don't take those "user friendly"
comments too seriously. You could have bought a simpler/cheaper scanner
but it might not do what you want (things have changed in the last 20 years).

Find out how to program one site (nearest you) of the Fleetnet system, and you
should hear OPP, MTO, and MOH (except a few talkgroups which might
be encrypted). Some are analog, some digital. Make sure you have a
decent antenna, and you should hear the control channel grinding noise
fairly strong.

You can buy programming software which will ease some of the pain of
programming the scanner, but meantime (and people will disagree) I suggest
you try programming it manually. I have a PSR-600 which is functionally
similar, and with some effort can be done. Reading from the database, I could
program a site in 5 minutes or so. Make sure to program the Custom Frequency
Table info, otherwise the scanner will not track the system.

Dave

GoingCrazy

Dave

I have been having a heck of a time with this unit, the Freq. is 141.250 and it in 3OPS21, all the other freq. come in nice and clear, just this one is a bugger, its not static, its like the voices go load then soft and all choppy, its hard to explain unless your here.....LOL
I really like this unit, even though I haven't got a clue on how to use it, I had on years ago and listened to the North Bay Police then one day it went silent, I later found out that they went digital, so I figured I needed a digital scanner to listen to the O.P.P. where I am living now up here in New Liskeard, but I have now found out they are not digital, this could be wrong info, but I have no idea....LOL
Now these people that say they can program my scanner for only the stuff I want to listen too, is this true or is it a money grab? I thank you so much Dave for your info.

DaveH

I have been having a heck of a time with this unit, the Freq. is 141.250 and it in 3OPS21, all the other freq. come in nice and clear, just this one is a bugger, its not static, its like the voices go load then soft and all choppy, its hard to explain unless your here.....LOL
I really like this unit, even though I haven't got a clue on how to use it, I had on years ago and listened to the North Bay Police then one day it went silent, I later found out that they went digital, so I figured I needed a digital scanner to listen to the O.P.P. where I am living now up here in New Liskeard, but I have now found out they are not digital, this could be wrong info, but I have no idea....LOL
Now these people that say they can program my scanner for only the stuff I want to listen too, is this true or is it a money grab? I thank you so much Dave for your info.

I suggest pulling out the manual and learning how to program it yourself. You can get software
for $50 or less (plus a programming cable if you don't have one). To download frequencies and
systems from the database here, you'll need to become a Premium Subscriber (at cost).

If someone else programs it, you're going to be dependent on someone else every time
you want a new frequency, or something changes. Some paid programming services may be
OK, others may not be. I have no recommendations here, never have used any. Why not
at least invest in the programming software, which you can re-use, unless you would rather
avoid dependency on using your computer.

Where are you getting the frequencies you are programming? 143.375 and 141.250 sound
like interference. Also sounds like you are scanning conventionally which is a start but
you really need to program it as a Motorola Type II VHF trunked system (I don't know all
the details, most will be in your manual). It is not all that difficult, takes a bit of time and
effort.

Again, OPP is on a shared system and no particular frequency is "theirs"; they are
assigned to whomever needs them, dynamically. The frequency usually changes on
every key of the mic. so you will not hear a complete message on any specific frequency.

Take some time to look at the RR database here (free); only computer downloading costs
extra. Start here:

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3511

North Bay PD as I understand are digital P25, with encryption which is a show-stopper for
scanner listeners.

Dave

East_Algoma

GoingCrazy : hang in there...Dave H is right....try to learn your radio on your own , however a good guy to see is Hitsfm as you already know , he is one smart fellow ! s is DaveH

Also I found this for you on Google....

http://marksscanners.com/106_197/106_197.shtml

A very easy to read online manual to Program your radio...enjoy !

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
The Pro-106 is an excellent scanner. Once you get the hang of it and wrap your head around how things work I'm sure you will really enjoy it. I got mine a few months after it hit the market and it's been in use pretty much every day since.

GoingCrazy

Thanks guys.

Thanks for replying guys, I was so upset with the thing I put it in the drawer and gave up. So a few days ago I pulled it out to give it another go, it still does the same thing on the one frequency, I wish I could just block it out.
I really enjoy the scanner I have, I just need to learn how to use it, I will tell you folks straight up, I am not a very good reader as I don't process the info I read, life long issue. So once again I want to thank you guys for your replies from way back.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Do you have a programming cable for the radio by chance? If so, or if you get one... we could program the file up for you and all you would need to do is load it to the radio. Much MUCH easier than trying to do it by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.