CBSA/CYYZ Fire/Ops When Peel switches to P25........?

Status
Not open for further replies.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
So when the switch happens to P25 eventually, does this mean that everyone on the old system will follow suit, or is it possible some groups/organizations will still continue to use the old system.

I guess I am inquiring about the CBSA/CYYZ groups Fire/Ops

Any insight into that, or would it be pure speculation at this point...

regards,

Jason

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
They'll probably just get new radios and operate on the new system. I've heard that GTAA have been getting APX6000's and if that's the case, they'll be ready to switch.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
They'll probably just get new radios and operate on the new system. I've heard that GTAA have been getting APX6000's and if that's the case, they'll be ready to switch.

Isn't that the model that does dual bands? Wonder if their being programed with OPP if they are of course?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
None that I know of. I'm a little too far north to monitor it on a regular basis though.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
None that I know of. I'm a little too far north to monitor it on a regular basis though.

Yeah, i can't search as i only have Motorola radios, was going to grab a 996 to search the system, but someone on this board disappeared on me again... :(

ATCTech

I had Unitrunker sitting on it for a few hours one day last week and no activity was logged at all.

SCPD

QRT
Always wonderd what they were going to do once the switch as well and I did go on a GTAA and they were using those Motorolla 6000's i think?

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Well, when they do switch, the P25 system will have to be carried over the in-terminal DAS system at Pearson, so it would only make sense for the VCOM channels and CBSA to switch over, considering the infrastructure would already be in place. Much cheaper than doing it alone. I've heard that they're looking at replacing the Harmony system with TRBO though, so that might be an option.

ATCTech

The Motorola Harmony uses iDEN technology (think Clearnet (now Telus) "MiKE" PTT service) on a much smaller scale. Like full-blown Telus MiKE it also allows telephone calling ability.

The GTAA has been on a Harmony system for quite a few years for most services, Duty Managers, airside and groundside security, airfield and building electrical, airfield maintenance, plumbers, carpenters, millwrights, cleaners, virtually all support services really. Even the CDF is (or at least was at last check) on it for Ice House to vehicle communications. I believe Lakeshore Communications is the support provider for that system. What's on the Peel trunk system is only the tip of the communications iceberg at YZ.

Search the TAFL for Fleetcom Inc. under the Toronto District Office.

Lakeshore Communications Harmony page:

http://www.raydios.com/airtime.php

Motorola iDEN technology is fully described here:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...t15RvPH5cp1wX1Q&bvm=bv.46340616,d.aWM&cad=rja

Last edited:

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info ATCTech, so why is VCOM not on Harmony as well? Would it not make sense?

It would be good if all the Harmony users went P25 as well, and left most of it in the clear!

JAson

Last edited:

ATCTech

I very much doubt you'll ever see the GTAA pay for system access to the Regional public safety system for plumbers and painters. The GTAA is a business after all, not a public sector, Government or Crown Corporation but they do of course need full interoperability with all emergency services during incident response.

For day to day operations they go with the best bang for the buck and were already with Lakeshore/Fleetcom on an old trunk system prior to the Harmony contract, and 'way back when' there were 3 or 4 460 MHz UHF frequencies in the good old days of Transport Canada running the place, plus 2 UHF RCMP repeaters.

Last edited:

YYZFD

I can confirm that the new digital encrypted system is expected to become live in Sept.
All I know at this point is that we (YYZ Fire) will be on it with a new dispatch & radio use protocol that will put us alone on a number of channels.

The APX radios were shipped with the new trucks (15 total) and at this point the other rigs are still using the XTS2500 radios.

I will post as I get more info.

SCPD

QRT
I can confirm that the new digital encrypted system is expected to become live in Sept.
All I know at this point is that we (YYZ Fire) will be on it with a new dispatch & radio use protocol that will put us alone on a number of channels.

The APX radios were shipped with the new trucks (15 total) and at this point the other rigs are still using the XTS2500 radios.

Is it your understanding that the whole system will be digital encrypted or just airport fire and related users? So far in testing it seems to have more encrypted talkgroups than clear. Any word if other Peel fire departments will also be encrypted?

YYZFD

Tech,

At this point thats all I know. I did hear that we should be the first to go live on the system but I will believe that when it happens.

YYZFD

New system goes live at 02:00 on Oct. 16.
All TG's will be encrypted!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.