US Steel Canada/Stelco & Juravinski Hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbstone99

Premium Subscriber
It looks like the US Steel Canada/Stelco plant in Hamilton is being converted over to a Mototrbo Connect Plus system. The Motorola Type II control channel is still rumbling away on 852.4500. I didn't monitor it for more then a couple minutes but didn't see any activity either. I was able to verify Mototrbo signals on 5 of their 8 frequencies. I am not sure about the other ones yet. I will have to pop my head into the security office Tuesday when I am back at work to see if there are any changes to the radios and give the other frequencies a listen to as well.

Network 372
Site 1 Neighours 0
853.0750 Control Channel

Source 2901 & 2907
Group 10

It also looks like Juravinski Hospital in Hamilton has also gone Mototrbo. Their Motorola Type 2 system is gone and I did heard a Mototrbo signal on 858.4750 for a few seconds but didn't have enough time to wait around and find out the details. Their transmissions seem to always be far apart.

Matt

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Thanks for the info! Interesting that they would use Connect Plus and not Capacity Plus (Connect Plus is significantly more expensive since it requires an XRC trunking controller).

mbstone99

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info! Interesting that they would use Connect Plus and not Capacity Plus (Connect Plus is significantly more expensive since it requires an XRC trunking controller).

I saw one of the security guys walking by me today talking on his radio. I didn't get a good look at the radio but it definitely didn't look like the old MTX838 they where using before. It did though have the key up tone that you hear on TRBO radios.

Matt

mbstone99

Premium Subscriber
are these digital systems. would I be able to monitor juravinski and stelco with a BR-330T?

You can't monitor these with a regular scanner.. the only way you can and that is if they don't encrypt (which I have no idea if they do or not) is using a scanner with a discriminator tap or SDR with DSD.

Matt

mbstone99

Premium Subscriber
I just wanted to post a quick update.. I peeked into the security office Friday while I was walking by and it looks like they are using XPR4550's so they definitely using TRBO now. The US Steel plant in Nanticoke though is still using UHF conventional.

Matt

mbstone99

Premium Subscriber
Just another update for this.. I was scanning up on the mountain tonight and it looks like the old US Steel Motorola Type 2 trunk is totally gone.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.