Old VCOM (CYYZ) control channel/activity???

Status
Not open for further replies.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
I was doing my usual scanning of CBSA this evening, and I thought for the heck of it I would scan the old VCOM system for awhile...

I noticed the control channel was buzzing away, and I also caught some digitized conversation..I assume it was encrypted..

I thought they were on a completely new system and the old system would be de-activated/not used?

Anyone know?

Jason

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Many times when new systems come online there are stragglers that are slow to get switched over, or sometimes old radios get re-purposed for another job before the system gets shut down. I monitored the new system last night for a little bit and there wasn't a whole lot of activity on there either.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Jason, which system are you referring to?

VCOM is the name for the Region of Peel's 3600baud system. I believe there are still many users left on the system including all the Fire Departments within the Region. I don't believe they've switched to the new system yet.

When the GTAA were using the Peel system they referred to the channels as VCOM since that was the name of the system.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
Jason, which system are you referring to?

VCOM is the name for the Region of Peel's 3600baud system. I believe there are still many users left on the system including all the Fire Departments within the Region. I don't believe they've switched to the new system yet.

When the GTAA were using the Peel system they referred to the channels as VCOM since that was the name of the system.

Hi Mike, So yes, I am referring to the GTAA portion of the VCOM system. There was a thread on here some time ago stating that the GTAA was going to a new system and it was 100% encrypted. Since then, I have not heard a peep out of it. And just last night I was monitoring it and I heard some digitized voice...(This was on my analogue BCT15X)..

Jason

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Than you've got me totally confused. GTAA was using talkgroups on Peel's VCOM system. Nothing on VCOM has been turned down and GTAA didn't have any "portion" of VCOM.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
I just got this information from another forum member...

Old VCOM (CYYZ) control channel/activity???

The system that Lakeshore Communications is providing is not to be confused with the new Peel region P25 Phase 2 system. Although they are both interoperable. The new Lakeshore system is to replace the old 900mhz trunked Harmony Iden system that was installed for GTAA VCOM.

Jason

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
The new Lakeshore system is to replace the old 900mhz trunked Harmony Iden system that was installed for GTAA VCOM.

Jason

VCOM is the old Peel system. It has nothing to do with the 900MHz Harmony system.

Google "Peel" and "VCOM" and you'll see that the name for the old Peel system was VCOM.

I assume it's the name for the new Peel system as well.

GTAA left the Peel VCOM system and moved to a new P25 system that was installed at the airport just for them.

ATCTech

851.0750,is the CC for new GTAA P25 system.All t/gs logged have been encrypted from my perspective.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I take it back...at 7:21 there was an alert tone being sounded on VCOM6, then a womans voice about a cleanup at terminal 1.

I did not catch it all, so...it appears as if the old system is active to some degree?

Anyone have any info on this?

Jason

mciupa

Database Admin
Just heard a medical call on VCOM6 around 7pm, so it's still alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.