Does anyone in London/Middlesex county use a Uniden 396?

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioroo

I'm looking to move up to Digital and would like to hear from people in or near my area about their experience with the Uniden 396. I know London Police are encrypted full time now so that's out. What else can you pick up? My analogue scanner only picks up Ambulance, snow patrol and HAM. Plus a heck of a lot of freqs devoted to electronic hums/bleeps.

And is anyone around this area getting a Uniden 436? If so, do you think it's worth the extra cost over the older 396?

Thank!

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.0.1483 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

You might be able to get a 396T for $300 or less.

A 396XT or the base 996XT, you might be able to get one cheaper now.

The 436 + 536's look cool thou. Some of the mods and members here have got theirs already, check out the Uniden forum here for comments.

As you know, you won't be able to monitor LPS, not sure about LFS. The OPP/EMS/MTO air, rail, some municipal systems can be scanned, it's still worth the $ if u have it.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
There are several, a good many guys Can't say why no one has responded to your thread.

. Contact TorontoKris here with a private message, he sells all kinds of scanners a a reasonable price.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I've had a 396, as well as a 396XT. I'm currently using a Pro-106 and Pro-197 (I prefer GRE's digital decoding over Uniden's). Anywhoo.. With a digital scanner you will be able to receive London Fire and all the city public works talkgroups. You will also be able to receive the digital activity on Fleetnet (OPP, MNR, MTO Enforecement etc). Other than that... there isn't a whole lot of P25 around here. London, Stratford and Woodstock police services are P25 but are all encrypted.

radioroo

Hi Forts. Thanks for your feedback. I'm near London and I understand that the London PD is encrypted. Can I pick up the OPP is they just happen to be driving in my area or can I pick it up all the time from a tower? I'm still getting to grips with how it works.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
In a nutshell you will get the immediate counties around the tower you are listening to. For example the Byron tower usually carries Middlesex, Elgin & Chatham-Kent OPP... Sometimes Huron if a unit happens to be close enough to the tower. The Ipperwash site normally carries Middlesex, Lambton & Chatham-Kent, whereas the Goderich site would carry Huron, Perth etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.