RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Canada Radio Discussion Forums > Ontario

Ontario Forum for discussing radio information in the province of Ontario.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2014, 5:16 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Earth Sector 001
Posts: 539
Default

Funny thing about the OPP, they go digital but put up Beat repeaters in area's which are analog and anyone with any scanner can pick them up.

Just happened in Pembroke. OPP took over in June, old PD analog went dead, and 3 weeks ago scanners came back alive as they put a BEAT repeater online.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2014, 7:18 PM
mciupa's Avatar
Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,802
Default

Since it is clear and analog, all scanners can hear the Comm Centre get the word out for a "first available tow" to arrive on scene for a collision and get traffic flowing again.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2014, 5:27 PM
EJB's Avatar
EJB EJB is offline
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Halton Region Aldershot
Posts: 2,959
Default

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.0.1483 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleblackie
Yes you are correct, a lot of the calls will go out over the mws.

Just ask those that listened to halton before and after they upgraded and see if they noticed a difference. Or those that had been listening to York region or any other force that adopted MDT/MWS. When I used to live in York you could actually decode their ist generation mdt's. Don't live there anymore so I don't know if it's still possible.

For the departments that upgraded to them, for the first year or so scanner listeners would not notice much difference but as the forces that adopted the technology became more adept at using them to their full capabilities (and once the whole fleet was equipped), they quickly realized they could send out group calls, group bolos and any other important FYI group messages that they did not want going out over the air.

Yes you will still hear the "on scene chatter" but if you don't know where the scene is since the original call was sent via mws then it's almost the same as having encryption. :-(
Didn't really notice in Halton a switch to CAD, they had been going that route for a long time.

Halton used to have a lot ITC sensitive stuff on spec 3, with the obligatory "Raagge' i.e Roger that all the undercover cops seem to think makes them sound cool and edgy.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 05-07-2014, 11:10 PM
Banned for duplicate accounts
   
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleblackie View Post
Yes you are correct, a lot of the calls will go out over the mws.

Just ask those that listened to halton before and after they upgraded and see if they noticed a difference. Or those that had been listening to York region or any other force that adopted MDT/MWS. When I used to live in York you could actually decode their ist generation mdt's. Don't live there anymore so I don't know if it's still possible.

For the departments that upgraded to them, for the first year or so scanner listeners would not notice much difference but as the forces that adopted the technology became more adept at using them to their full capabilities (and once the whole fleet was equipped), they quickly realized they could send out group calls, group bolos and any other important FYI group messages that they did not want going out over the air.

Yes you will still hear the "on scene chatter" but if you don't know where the scene is since the original call was sent via mws then it's almost the same as having encryption. :-(
Yes many police in US and Canada hardly dispatch non priority calls over radio these days like theft report ,MVC report ,vandalism ,shoplift ,noise complaint , car broken into ,alarm ,B&E report ,threatening phone calls ,Dog complaint, traffic hazards ,broken down car ,road blockage ,harassment, criminal mischief ,threatening ,welfare check ,assist person ,parking complaint ,house party so on.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 05-08-2014, 8:41 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Earth Sector 001
Posts: 539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by car55 View Post
Yes many police in US and Canada hardly dispatch non priority calls over radio these days like theft report ,MVC report ,vandalism ,shoplift ,noise complaint , car broken into ,alarm ,B&E report ,threatening phone calls ,Dog complaint, traffic hazards ,broken down car ,road blockage ,harassment, criminal mischief ,threatening ,welfare check ,assist person ,parking complaint ,house party so on.
OPP do.

The in car computers seem to be used more for clearing calls and person/car checks. Thats when the unit is within cell range to get a signal to the computer.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 05-08-2014, 4:18 PM
Banned for duplicate accounts
   
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by webstar22 View Post
OPP do.

The in car computers seem to be used more for clearing calls and person/car checks. Thats when the unit is within cell range to get a signal to the computer.

I never listen to the OPP or RCMP so no idea what they do.

Many of the police in Florida are similar to PRP they dispatch a lot of calls over the radio. Where many of police in Texas are more similar to York Region Police but not too the extreme at not dispatching calls.

Every police department is little different doing things.

The CNI checks and DL checks are good thing more officers are not using radio for that. than we can hear calls not officers running CNI checks and DL checks.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2014, 1:03 AM
Muxlow's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Middlesex County
Posts: 1,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by webstar22 View Post
OPP do.

The in car computers seem to be used more for clearing calls and person/car checks. Thats when the unit is within cell range to get a signal to the computer.

Seems to be not very often lol Lambton county has alot of issues
__________________
Muxlow
..Yeah iv got some radios
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2014, 1:20 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Albany, Oregon, USA
Posts: 312
Default

Quote:
I don't know of a province-wide encrypted system in Canada nor the US.
Florida's statewide system "SLERS" is EDACS Networked Standard with ESK and every single talkgroup uses Provice digital with encryption enabled.
__________________
My Youtube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Forts's Avatar
Mentor
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Strathroy, Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1990 View Post
I don't know of a province-wide encrypted system in Canada nor the US. It would just be a BIGGG waste of money!!!!
How 'bout this one, since it's right in our back yard...

RCMP Central Region Operation Communication System Trunking System, Southern Ontario, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies
__________________
Middlesex County/Strathroy-Caradoc Fire Paging Alerts: http://groups.google.com/group/middlesex-fire
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
        
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Gymbag's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Oxford County
Posts: 137
Default

Hey Forts, Is this RCMP ^^^^^ encrypted???????
Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2014, 11:21 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the 'patch
Posts: 2,114
Default No more OPP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymbag View Post
Hey Forts, Is this RCMP ^^^^^ encrypted???????

Did you even look at the link??? Or even read his post???


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Interoperatablity is not a technology it is an attitude!!!
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2014, 8:48 AM
Forts's Avatar
Mentor
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Strathroy, Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymbag View Post
Hey Forts, Is this RCMP ^^^^^ encrypted???????
Top to bottom, side to side, all the way around.
__________________
Middlesex County/Strathroy-Caradoc Fire Paging Alerts: http://groups.google.com/group/middlesex-fire
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions