Durham Region, Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.

robashton4h

Premium Subscriber
News reports this morning indicate that Durham Region Emergency Services will be moving to their new radio system at the end of June. I believe this is to include the regional police all fire services and EMS but not sure who else. I suppose this will mean the end of scanning in the Durham Region. Rob

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Fire and Police will be encrypted. EMS will remain on FleetNet, but like in some other places, they may have some 800MHz talkgroups for supervisors and that sort of thing.

bigcam406

its been in the works for over a year.wont miss the police because they have been encrypted since November 1999.great use of 48 million of our tax dollars.

bigcam406

you know whats worse?they had to call in pumpers from Clarington early this morning for a fully engulfed tractor trailer fire on the 401 at Harmony Rd. cutoff because they didnt have enough water from the Oshawa pumpers to put it out.yup,money well spent.

VE3RADIO

Fire will be around for a year.. the union does not want the system at least on the timeline given, word from a friend at fire told me the smartnet system will be simulcasting for a year.

bigcam406

I don't understand.when they announced the changeover,they were adamant that it was for the greater good.now the union doesn't like the timeline given.and simulcasting using the old system? only in Durham........

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I don't understand.when they announced the changeover,they were adamant that it was for the greater good.now the union doesn't like the timeline given.and simulcasting using the old system? only in Durham........

I suspect the union will has concerns with digital and encryption from a end user of firefighter side of things and want more time to be completely convinced the new system is going to work and work every time as there are multiple stories on this site and elsewhere on the web indicating problems with fire fighters not being heard by dispatch etc. So I think they are all bugs sorted out first. It has to work from every basement and concrete apartment they are fighting fires in.

bigcam406

what you say makes sense.but this has been in the works since 2010,so there has been lots of time for research and testing,before anyone should of agreed to it.sounds like the union was asleep at the wheel,or our municipal boneheads kept them in the dark about the subjects you have stated.if it was my bet,i'd put money on the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.