RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Canada Radio Discussion Forums > Ontario

Ontario Forum for discussing radio information in the province of Ontario.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 7:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Peel Regional Police

They are now fully encrypted. Have a great day!
Sponsored links
Old 05-06-2014, 1:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

No they aren't. https://twitter.com/PeelPoliceMedia/...53575366021121
And it doesn't sound like they will be: https://twitter.com/PeelPoliceMedia/...49161486000128 and https://twitter.com/PeelPoliceMedia/...49303916171264
Old 05-06-2014, 3:19 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The media is bombarding @PeelPoliceMedia with requests/demands to stay in the clear. It seems they are listening, and these messages are going right to Chief Evans.
Old 05-06-2014, 4:29 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

So far, all I'm hearing are 4 of the 5 division dispatch channels. (11,12,21,22. No Airport).

Even 11 Div Special Events were on 11 disp rather than their own talkgroup.
Old 05-06-2014, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyberoptics View Post
The media is bombarding @PeelPoliceMedia with requests/demands to stay in the clear. It seems they are listening, and these messages are going right to Chief Evans.
It won't take a few tweets from reporters to change anybody at PRP's mind.

As someone who has listened to PRP for years both personally and professionally, I'll be sad to see it go -- but be assured .. .it WILL be happening.

Some police departments issue radios to accredited newsrooms. When I worked at CTV in Saskatchewan, we had an XTS5K that Regina Police issued us to listen in on their encrypted system. The Calgary Sun has several company-owned & police-programmed XTS3Ks in their newsroom (Calgary Police is P25, but still in the clear)

If the PRP is truly interested in transparency, I see them taking the "buy an approved radio and we'll program it for you" option for (accredited) newsrooms, instead of just eschewing encryption.

All this means is that news organizations may be allowed to keep listening, but it's still going to be the end of the road for the casual listener.
Old 05-07-2014, 3:40 PM

"PRP" and "transparency" historically have not been seen together in the same sentence...
Old 05-07-2014, 6:59 PM

All radios have been changed out and the "Tech" are working on any bugs on 11 and 12 div i would give them 10 days and then as the movie was called "Gone Baby Gone" ! They didn't drop all that money to stay unencrypted... The media can cry all they want PRP has never got along with the media in the first place.. My 2 cents....
Old 05-07-2014, 10:21 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heterodyne View Post
It won't take a few tweets from reporters to change anybody at PRP's mind.

As someone who has listened to PRP for years both personally and professionally, I'll be sad to see it go -- but be assured .. .it WILL be happening.

Some police departments issue radios to accredited newsrooms. When I worked at CTV in Saskatchewan, we had an XTS5K that Regina Police issued us to listen in on their encrypted system. The Calgary Sun has several company-owned & police-programmed XTS3Ks in their newsroom (Calgary Police is P25, but still in the clear)

If the PRP is truly interested in transparency, I see them taking the "buy an approved radio and we'll program it for you" option for (accredited) newsrooms, instead of just eschewing encryption.

All this means is that news organizations may be allowed to keep listening, but it's still going to be the end of the road for the casual listener.
from what i am reading and understanding on prp media relations twitter they are going to stay in the clear but anything can happen