RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Canada Radio Discussion Forums > Ontario

Ontario Forum for discussing radio information in the province of Ontario.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 10:44 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Scanning in Marathon Ontario

Hello.

I apologize if I have posted this in the wrong Forum. (If this is the case, please advise and I will move it to the appropriate area).

My son moved to Marathon Ontario, earlier this year and I would like to look at possibly purchasing a scanner which would have P25 (APCO) for OPP as well as the ability to monitor the more local channels.

Would anyone have a suggestion where I could purchase an inexpensive portable scanner which could accomplish this? I've checked eBay and some local retailers, however the prices seem a bit high. (My caveat is that I have been out of the scanner-buying activity for quite some time and these price may be quite appropriate for the types of scanners being offered).

Thank you for any replies to this posting. (I just returned from my first visit to Marathon, and was taken aback by its beauty and friendliness of the people.)
Sponsored links
Old 08-07-2014, 1:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Handheld, new, retail, the price point is around 400-500 for digital trunker that you would need for OPP.

http://www.amazon.com/Whistler-WS104...istler+scanner

Uniden BCD396XT Compact APCO 25 Handheld Scanner|BCD396XT [UNI-BCD396XT] : @ Radioworld Toronto

There is a guy on this forum, Torontokris that sometimes has good deals. I have bought from him and he is absolutely a trustworthy dealer.

Rumor has it that OPP radio system is due for replacement around 2017 so it could be a big outlay for a short time listening if they go encrypted or something (total crap-shoot what they will do)

Last edited by davidmc36; 08-07-2014 at 1:44 PM..
Old 08-07-2014, 2:56 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You might also want to keep an eye on kijiji or your local buy and sell for a used unit. It has to be capable of digital trunking.