Sudbury EDACS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rc1990

Good day all,

Will some service stay on the Greater Sudbury EDACS system? I ask because a new P25 system is rolling out for public safety (transit is already using it) and just today a 3 or 4 new sites were added. I just find it weird that a system that will be shutting down soon is being updated with new sites and TGs!

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
It's been updated since nobody has bothered to do any work on the system in the past

Yes, it will most likely be shut down but for now, it's good to at least get the proper information in the database.

I suspect there's more sites that are missing.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
I should have added that it appears that the old system will be shut down since its remaining frequencies are being shown as alternate control channels for the new system.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Found a couple of more sites for the old system today. I'm pretty sure there's 12 sites just like the new P25 system but I was unable to find anymore. I'm guessing they're on the western outskirts of town and possibly something down near Noelville.

Also mapped out the Vale Connect Plus TRBO system. Lot's of activity but nothing too interesting. I believe there's possibly a second site somewhere but I've been able to locate it.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Good day all,

Will some service stay on the Greater Sudbury EDACS system? I ask because a new P25 system is rolling out for public safety (transit is already using it) and just today a 3 or 4 new sites were added. I just find it weird that a system that will be shutting down soon is being updated with new sites and TGs!

It's not uncommon for cities/counties/municipalities which build out a new public safety system to use the "old" system for public works etc. I believe that's been considered in a few places, and is the plan for at least a couple of municipalities planning on getting on the provincewide Alberta system.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
The city has not added any new sites and the old system will not be sticking around.

Initially somebody submitted the main city site to the database about 10 years ago. When I was in the area doing some camping about 8 years ago, I added in what I called the west site. I noticed quite a few more control channels on the air but didn't have time to investigate.

Now that I'm back in the area for work, I've had some time to figure out some of the other sites and have added them to the database. I believe the system has at least 12 sites.

It's probably a huge waste of time since the system will be decommissioned but the challenge has been fun.

And yes, the system will be decommissioned. I don't think they would list the old systems channels as alternate control channels for the new system if it was sticking around.

Status
Not open for further replies.