Ambulance NSAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvdbir

Can someone tell me what this is and is it scannable ? I am assuming it is something to do with satellite technology, but will ask if it is a radio or computer based system.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I'm not in Ontario, but you may be mishearing "MSAT". It's a two-way radio that uses satellites instead of ground-based repeaters. A number of public safety agencies use them when they get out of range of their terrestrial radio networks. I am fairly certain they're not monitorable.

Here's one vendor's page on the MSAT mobile radio.

I should add before someone gives me grief: In some cases it is possible to hear an agency on "the MSAT channel", but that's because they have linked/patched an MSAT radio to their land mobile system. I've seen several applications where an MSAT radio in a truck is slaved to a regular LMR mobile, and the crew never even sees/touches the MSAT itself. They just switch to "channel x" on their radio and are on the satellite network.

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I know BCAS, and AHS both use MSat to supliment thier respective radio networks in the northen parts of BC and Alberta. I would imagine other ambulance services use it as well across Canada. MSat uses a geostationary satillite, and can be used for phone calls and/or PTT service.

It is the same service that they use in the Bering Sea on the crab boats on Deadliest Catch.

It's not scanable directly, but as Jay said it is able to be heard when interfaced directly to LMR radios.

For other applications i habe seen both a hand held PTT controlhead as well as an old school, full duplex 'cell style' handset installed together.

The down side to MSat is that it is the better part of half a second of propagation delay, makes it hard to have a full duplex conversation.

Gotta remeber the delay when making phone calls! Globalstar and Irridium are better choices for sat phone service in that regard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.