opp encrypted ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlmust

I'm a newbie and just purchased a BCD436HP, I am familiar with the old scanners but was hoping with all of the intentions of listening to the OPP, Fire, Ambulance again in the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Cornwall area region, I've picked up two OPP encrypted 142.0350MHZ MFN and 141.5850MHZ MFN . Picking up Ottawa Ambulance really well but not Cornwall, and no Cornwall fire dept. ? Am I reading this right as the summer begins the opp and so on are all going encrypted ?

Last edited:

jlmust

I believe Cornwall city Police have been and OPP in Cornwall are also, Getting only one way {com center} only, Still picking up OPP on portables like the old way

VE3JSO

opp is still in the clear i am getting the 6mike alright but the are patched with another talkgroup the only enc talkgroups that i know is tsb and some tru

mrweather

I've encountered the odd encrypted OPP talkgroup but nothing across the board. Yet.

OPP 2OPS31 SD&G 3India Long Sault off the CRNWAL Fleetnet tower is straight unencrypted P25 today. 142.035 MHz. is the Cornwall Police repeater, not OPP. and 141.585 MHz. is their simplex frequency. Both have been encrypted (Motorola P25 with AES 256) for several years. SD&G EMS ambulances (and Prescott-Russell as well) are dispatched by Ottawa CACC on Fleetnet in analog narrowband FM. Cornwall Fire can be heard on 155.835 MHz., while adjacent rural fire are on 154.635 MHz. (South Stormont) and 158.685 MHz. (South Glengarry) and all share a Mutual Aid frequency of 154.130 MHz., which is rarely used.

jlmust

Thanks for that info, I hadn't been on the forums in a long long time and just thought I'd buy this new scanner BCD436HP that's suppose to be easy to use and seemed to promise everything with USA and CANADA data base, I'm somewhat disappointed, one thing is that there's so many features that I know nothing about and two it doesn't seem to pick up what I thought it would. I'm sitting here Sunday with it on with my favorites programed for my local area and nothing is being transmitted. it may be I dont have it set up right but I've spent hours trying to figure things out. Sometimes the opp's come in really strong and clear or one sided and encrypted, Ottawa ambulance works well but never Cornwall ambulance, I'm still waiting on our local SG Fire dept to get a call out. I'm able to listen to opp on frequency 411.3125 and 410.8625. sometimes and SG fire 158.6850 on my old NESET PRO 44.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that info, I hadn't been on the forums in a long long time and just thought I'd buy this new scanner BCD436HP that's suppose to be easy to use and seemed to promise everything with USA and CANADA data base, I'm somewhat disappointed, one thing is that there's so many features that I know nothing about and two it doesn't seem to pick up what I thought it would. I'm sitting here Sunday with it on with my favorites programed for my local area and nothing is being transmitted. it may be I dont have it set up right but I've spent hours trying to figure things out. Sometimes the opp's come in really strong and clear or one sided and encrypted, Ottawa ambulance works well but never Cornwall ambulance, I'm still waiting on our local SG Fire dept to get a call out. I'm able to listen to opp on frequency 411.3125 and 410.8625. sometimes and SG fire 158.6850 on my old NESET PRO 44.

To the original poster, don't take this the wrong way but you have no idea of what you are doing and your current mindset, monitoring a particular frequency is so last century. And that is no big deal because you bought a scanner that can get you to properly listen to the users of Fleetnet within a minute.

The OPP are not encrypted. One of the features on your scanner should help you, you have the entire database for North America at your disposal. Fleetnet, the Radio System that the OPP, EMS, MTO and MNR use are active users of this system.

Without understanding how a trunked system works you can very quickly get Fleetnet working for you. Stop thinking that you can use a certain frequency to listen to the OPP. The frequencies in the 410 band that you are hearing them are repeaters. In order to hear a OPP unit on its repeater frequency of 410.8625 you have to be close enough to a unit with a repeater that is on, with 2-10 km's of it.

Fleetnet works like this. Towers cover the province, in your Zone, figure out which tower is close to you or you can simply select all the towers in Zone 2 and go from there. Once you figure out which towers are close to you turn the ones that you cannot hear (i.e. allow your scanner to work) off.

Then select the talkgroups for your area, you can pick and choose which ones you want, you can enter in all the OPP talk groups in Zone 2 or ones for your area. Same with the EMS, If you are in the Ottawa area, pick the Ottawa EMS and the local MTO Talkgroups, and pick the local OPP talkgroups for your area. No sense in entering in the talkgroups for the Kingston area if you are in Ottawa.

I don't have your scanner but I did own a Home Patrol and a PSR800, both scanners have the database that will allow you to monitor anything that is capable of being monitored.

Once you figure out what you can expect to hear, which tower is close enough by I can give you 100% assurance that you will be able to listen to the OPP and EMS, And once you figure out and get a feel on how to create, and prepare scan lists you can very easily travel from one end of the province to another and listen to the OPP cruisers the entire way.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
did you try searching the frequency database for that, i think cornwall opp is encrypted i may be wrong
Anyone here that does not know how to use a scanner that is designed for trunk tracking please do not post here, let someone in the area who has a scanner and experience to step up and help out. No offense but saying that the OPP may be encrypted without understanding what you are trying to listen to makes it more difficult to explain the correct way to do things.

, Are you aware that the OPP are very much and very easily scanned with any of the newer scanners as long as you either have a scanner that allows you to monitor Motorola P25 type systems? There is a wiki on this site that shows you which scanners are digital capable and ones that are not.

You have to understand that you cannot approach this as "I will enter in a frequency and the scanner will stop on it and I will hear them," You will have to have a scanner that does trunking. You will either have to have a scanner that does digital trunking. You will then have to have a scanner that either already has a database to use like a 436, Home Patrol, 536, or PSR800 and whatever the Whistler scanners are named and numbered as. If you do have a scanner with a database it is then very easy to pick and choose and monitor.

If you actually have a scanner that does not have a database but is capable of monitoring a system like Fleetnet (a short list on scanners that do this, in no means am I even providing you with an exhaustive list), a Uniden 296, 396T and XT, PSR 600, Pro96 you can monitor fleetnet and create a scan list as long as your scanner can detect a control channel from a local tower and has long as you enter in the offsets and such (this table is listed in the DB for the entire fleetnet system).

The original poster probably spent up to and over $500 dollars on his/her scanner. It seems that he/she did not do his research, that's ok because they purchased a scanner with a database in the scanner, waiting to be used.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
As Eric said, the OP will need a better understanding of how trunking works. The 436/536 scanners, while marketed as 'friendly and easy to use' are really anything but, especially if you are completely green to it. I've had many many scanners over the years and found the 436 to be information overload. Kept it a week then sold it. Anyhow, as far as OPP goes, the only groups that are encrypted are investigative/surveillance/JFO type stuff. General operations is completely in the clear. TRU in encrypted as well, but they aren't on Fleetnet.

jlmust

Sorry if I posted wrong. Thanks and no offence taken .. I bit off more than I can chew at this point but I'll get it figured out with some help from you guys. I much appreciate any info I can receive .. I've been reading and re reading the manual and I am getting better of understanding. I guess I figured like in the older scanners that you just input what you wanted to listen too and away you go. I guess their are a lot of changes I miss not keeping up to date with it Thank you all. It was $600 .

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Sorry if I posted wrong. Thanks and no offence taken .. I bit off more than I can chew at this point but I'll get it figured out with some help from you guys. I much appreciate any info I can receive .. I've been reading and re reading the manual and I am getting better of understanding. I guess I figured like in the older scanners that you just input what you wanted to listen too and away you go. I guess their are a lot of changes I miss not keeping up to date with it Thank you all. It was $600 .

There is no offense taken and I was not trying to be rude. What I did not like was that the people who were responding to you where just adding to the confusion. And I can't do anything about it but there are plenty of people who are members of this site who could help you but choose not to or couldn't be bothered. There is nothing I can do about that but I can comment when people post ridiculous stuff about encryption or don't understand, more than 15 years in, and closer to the end of the lifespan of this radio system, how fleetnet works.

Because Trunking is difficult, the scanner makers have built scanners that make it easier to allow us to listen to what we can. This site here is the most important scanning site in the world, it is with this site's growth that you have a scanner with a built in database and the ability to update add or delete right on your scanner.

And anyone who knows me, knows that I am extremely illiterate when it comes to understanding how this all works, and I ask plenty of questions that are considered to be dumb, I have over 3,000 posts here, go look at my history and laugh at some of the stuff I have asked for here. But I do and always appreciated help that I received here and I want to play it forward. And I want to help make it clearer to people to get help and not confuse them.

Your scanner has this databaser for Fleetnet, simply go to the database, on the software or right on your scanner, select Ontario, and any county in the immediate area for Fleetnet, from SDG, Ottawa all the way to Northumberland, Fleetnet Zone 2. Select Fleetnet, either select all the towers in Zone 2 or take a look at the list of towers in the Database on here first and select those. I live in Burlington and since I don't plan on going to Durham in Grey County as a newbie I would select the towers close to me, Charlton, Brittania, Fonthill, Skylon, Woodlawn, Brantford, Cayuga.

And I select the talkgroups that I would expect that I would expect that would 'work' with these towers. Just as you will not hear a radio station in Windsor on FM it doesnt make sense for me to select their tower or the talkgroups for that area. Pick the tower(s) that you feel are close enough to you, pick out the EMS talkgroups for the local CACC's (communication centres), pick the MOH Wide talkgroups, as you will hear EMS units from different jurisdictions in and out of Ottawa, they will use these MOH Wide talkgroups.

Pick all or just about all of the OPP Talkgroups in your zone. Many of them patch with each other, enter in and select the MNR ones for your area and throught your zones, the same with the MTO Enforcement talkgroups as they are patched at times with local OPP talkgroups especially in the evenings and weekends.

And finally you should be able to select the CISO and Investigative talkgroups. PM me why and I will be happy to explain why.

As you get a feel for your scanner and what you are hearing, what you will hear at home or thru travels you will quickly pick up how this works and you can create very elaborate and interesting scan lists. And play it forward like I try to.

Depending how far East or Northeast of Cornwall you are, you may need an external antenna for your BCD436HP. I use a GRE PSR-600 in Cornwall, and can only receive the local Cornwall (Fleetnet Site 2 - "CRNWAL") Fleetnet tower on 142.260 MHz. on the whip antenna provided with the scanner. While many on this forum would recommend a "discone" scanner antenna, I like to use something with a little more gain, a dual band VHF/UHF amateur radio antenna like a Diamond X-200 or a Jetstream JTB-2.

In any case, if you are not receiving your local Fleetnet tower well, OPP reception will be problematic. This would be either Site 2 - CRNWAL (Cornwall) on 142.260 MHz. or Site 34 - VANKLK (Vankleek Hill) on 143.070 MHz., or possibly Site 3 - ALFRED on 142.710 MHz., depending on your location.

As for fire, Cornwall and South Stormont use repeaters and so are easy to receive. Not so with South Glengarry; they are not repeated so they are difficult to hear unless you are close to one of their five fire stations or one of their trucks. You can wait days before hearing anything on their 158.685 frequency. You will hear dispatches and pages ("tone outs") on their transmitter at the CJOH TV tower site just North of Lancaster, but little else unless you are close.

Any questions about the local situation, PM me.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Unless somebody has real info, lets not speculate or spread wild rumours (happening by summer etc)
People spread rumours/threads in 2009 that TPS would be full blown enc before the G20 in 2010.

Is the Fleetnet system due for an upgrade in the future... yes
Will it be encrpyted? Clear? Phase 2? Who knows right now.
Have they even got contracts/SOP? Much less started testing a new system... not to my knowledge.

bigcam406

Unless somebody has real info, lets not speculate or spread wild rumours (happening by summer etc)
People spread rumours/threads in 2009 that TPS would be full blown enc before the G20 in 2010.

Have they even got contracts/SOP? Much less started testing a new system... not to my knowledge.

relax everyone,and enjoy it while we can.

mlmummert

Yeah really. People in 2009 were swearing that TPS was just about to throw the switch and convert to P25 Phase II fully encrypted (fire, garbage trucks and all).

Status
Not open for further replies.