Toronto, ON: Police radio to go silent as Toronto cops move toward encrypted communic

Status
Not open for further replies.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
The story didnt say anything about Toronto Fire & EMS being encrypted.
"spokespeople from both services say that their channels will remain unencrypted — for now"

Halton Peel York & Durham Fire Dispatches are still in the clear (some albeit Phase 2)

Last edited:

ssbtech

They're worried about law-abiding citizens listening to what's going on in the community, but they'll have their radios up while arresting and transporting a drug dealer or fraud suspect.

And then they whine when they have to get a search warrant because they're not allowed to exploit NSA backdoors in communication systems.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Wait what?

What's having their radios turned up doing an arrest have to do with anything? While I agree that Police shouldn't have their general operations channels encrypted, I fail to see what that has to do with it?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
“Anything that is encrypted can be cracked.” Um, okay. Idiot.

Sure it can! I'm hacking AES with my Raspberry Pie 2 right now! :)

It's sucks, but it's certainly a sign of the times. Ontario police agencies in the clear can damn near be counted on one hand now...

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Sure it can! I'm hacking AES with my Raspberry Pie 2 right now! :)

It's sucks, but it's certainly a sign of the times. Ontario police agencies in the clear can damn near be counted on one hand now...

It's a trend... RCMP are full time Encrypted in Saskatchewan, and once done their upgrade in BC will be there as well. I would guess when EMCOMM and CREST are replaced, all law enforcement on those systems will be Encrypted, and I will bet a year of salary, Alberta RCMP and Edmonton police will Encrypt as well. I bet with in the next 5-10 years there will be very little law enforcement to listen to Canada wide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
Scanning with a BCD 536HP was just starting to get fun too with the WiFi dongle working and the 536HP Mark II remote software. :(

Once the dominoes start falling, all you can do is watch.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Kind of disappointing that the chief is against media radios. I guess that has to do with stringers and dare I say it tow truck drivers?

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
The 400 series highways are very lucrative for towing services.
It's rather funny and ironic to listen to hear the TPS scanners in the background when the operators are speaking to each other in NXDN mode. I love DSD+. :)

VE3RADIO

“Anything that is encrypted can be cracked.” Um, okay. Idiot.

You have to admit it is a genius way to get tow trucks to come by his store and buy a scanner for the remaining fire and EMS. The tows will think he has some secret for sale.. even though he knows jack (pardon the pun)

ssbtech

Wait what?

What's having their radios turned up doing an arrest have to do with anything? While I agree that Police shouldn't have their general operations channels encrypted, I fail to see what that has to do with it?

Law abiding citizens can't scan the police and listen to what's going on in the community due to "privacy" concerns, but they'll happily read out this confidential information within earshot of the bad guys.

ssbtech

I would guess when EMCOMM and CREST are replaced, all law enforcement on those systems will be Encrypted,

They already said that CREST will encrypt police traffic, as well as fire and ambulance.

It's really too bad. I enjoy knowing what's going on in the community and around here you're lucky if you get a poorly written watered down version of it in the news 24 hrs later. The vast majority of small incidents go unreported.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I am surprised that so many people here read the Star.

The jerk at RadioWorld, he might just get a visit from some of TPS's finest about hacking encryption...

I am going to guess though that his remarks probably had more to deal with DSD+ and stuff, newspapers make numerous mistakes daily in their reporting. Unless the Star has or had a radio room or the reporter actually understands scanning and is active in scanning, you could see how a mistake like this can be made.

It was a smart way of free publicity, a store in Toronto that sells scanners, and can hack encryption... the lineups are going to be out the door! lol.

It could be worse guys, we havent had the police here in the clear in Halton now going on 3 years, only Waterloo Region will remain in the clear for the time being.

Anyone here know the Ambulance chaser in the article? A member here?

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
You have to admit it is a genius way to get tow trucks to come by his store and buy a scanner for the remaining fire and EMS. The tows will think he has some secret for sale.. even though he knows jack (pardon the pun)

That's probably why he offered a quote. And I really do think that the reporter or their researchers got it mixed up.

bigcam406

i find that the tow truck drivers and the OPP work hand in hand at keeping the traffic flowing on the 400 series highways.TPS uses contract towing.cant see tow truck drivers lining up for a scanner that they think will be able to scan encrypted networks,especially if they dont have the TPS contract.as for the encryption,we all knew it was coming.i have had fun listening to them every night at work for the past 20 years.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Most times it was first come first serve.. Hence why the tows have multiple radios and chase down the scene.

TPS uses contract towing.cant see tow truck drivers lining up for a scanner that they think will be able to scan encrypted networks,especially if they dont have the TPS contract

slicerwizard

The 400 series highways are very lucrative for towing services.
It's rather funny and ironic to listen to hear the TPS scanners in the background when the operators are speaking to each other in NXDN mode. I love DSD+. :)
Those guys are definitely funny.

42 band: "...Twyn Rivers, vehicle into the guardrail..."

OnQue Toronto site: half of the 19 traffic channels light up with "Hey guys! Twyn Rivers - car into a guardrail!"

Uh, yeah - it's just a minor PD - an SUV slid sideways and kissed the rail a bit. TPS has to attend to evaluate the rail damage (if any). The vehicle is running and looks fully driveable. And there were two tows already on scene, looking like patient vultures waiting for their prey to die - at least an hour ago...

Attachments

• Patient Vultures.jpg
    Patient Vultures.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,811

mitbr

Say goodbye to the news media!
I used to live in London Ont around 1992 their police went to full time encryption and almost all the local news reporting came to an end. You would occasionally get a tidbit thrown to you by the police but basically they didn't want the locals to know what was going on in their community.

True democracy is not knowing what our government is doing right LOL. As both the US and Canada move towards a police state we better get ready for the problems that will follow.
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.