Transmitter - License?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mciupa

What is the model of radio do you want to transmit on?

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
Is the license easy to get, how do I go about getting one?

Thanks,

You would need to apply for a radio license with IC, and they would issue you a frequency to transmit on. All this comes at a yearly cost though. Cost depends on whether your a business or public safety agency and how many persons/radios will be transmitting on the frequency. There is also info for amaetur radio. Internet, radio and wireless - Industry Canada

You would need to apply for a radio license with IC, and they would issue you a frequency to transmit on. All this comes at a yearly cost though. Cost depends on whether your a business or public safety agency and how many persons/radios will be transmitting on the frequency. There is also info for amaetur radio. Internet, radio and wireless - Industry Canada

There looks like there isn't a fee for the amaetur operators.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
I'm not very knowledgeable on Canada's laws but from what ScanPEI said you would have to get your amateur radio license because most of the time governments wont issue a frequency license to an individual just for personal chit-chat. For example you would have to be a representative of a club or own a business to have your own frequency license.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
There looks like there isn't a fee for the amaetur operators.

I'm not 100% sure on cost, but you have to pass an exam to get your certificate. You would only have to pay the yearly fee as mentioned above if you plan on transmitting outside the amaetur bands, say for personal or business.

mciupa

You can gauge your level of expertise with this Amateur Radio practice exam.

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/025.nsf/eng/h_00040.html

You can join an Amateur Radio club in your area, or write at Industry Canada office, or if you can arrange something with an examiner, write it at a mutually agreeable place and pay him for his time.

Where do I get the material to study? I looked on the site but couldn't find it really. :(

THanks

mrweather

IC does not charge a fee to get and maintain a "Certificate of Proficiency in Amateur Radio". There may be a nominal cost to write the exam.

I'm guessing the OP would only be interested in the Basic licence as that will get you on the air. If you get a mark of 80% or higher on the Basic exam you'll get HF privileges as well.

Radio Amateurs of Canada and Coax Publications put out Basic study guides.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I'm not very knowledgeable on Canada's laws but from what ScanPEI said you would have to get your amateur radio license because most of the time governments wont issue a frequency license to an individual just for personal chit-chat. For example you would have to be a representative of a club or own a business to have your own frequency license.

IC will issue LMR licenses to individuals. There are lots of simplex LMR channels that IC will license... All one has to do is know what frequency to put down, and submit the license, with fee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hfxChris

Database Admin
I may have missed it, but I don't think anybody's asked the obvious and most important question here... what is it you want to do?

Are you a business with employees that you need to communicate with?

Do you just want to chat with a few friends every now and then?

Something else?

There are a number of different radio services that may or may not require licenses, fees, etc and have different rules around their use. Knowing what you're wanting to do would help out a lot. Part of the conversation here seems to be guiding you towards amateur radio, but unless I missed something I don't think I saw you say you wanted to get into amateur radio specifically, and for certain uses (such as operating a business) that would definitely not be an appropriate avenue to explore.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
This was basically discussed in your other post: http://forums.radioreference.com/new-user-getting-started-forum/308633-baofeng-uv5r.html. The only non licensed frequencies in Canada on VHF and UHF are the FRS/GMRS frequencies [all other frequencies in these band frequencies require a business or ham license]. But this radio may not be type accepted for FRS as too much power and removeable antenna. As has been said on posts, if one knew what the intended use was for, one could give a better answer.

This was basically discussed in your other post: http://forums.radioreference.com/new-user-getting-started-forum/308633-baofeng-uv5r.html. The only non licensed frequencies in Canada on VHF and UHF are the FRS/GMRS frequencies [all other frequencies in these band frequencies require a business or ham license]. But this radio may not be type accepted for FRS as too much power and removeable antenna. As has been said on posts, if one knew what the intended use was for, one could give a better answer.

If I want to chat with other people on repeaters, what do I need?

mike_art03a

You'll need to take an exam to get your Basic Amateur Radio Operator license then, don't bother just transmitting on the local repeater as that will annoy the local hams and they will get you shutdown and fined real quick. Not to mention, your radio can be seized.

Buy the guide from RAC or look up your local amateur radio club and see if they offer lessons or get a local ham to mentor you.

You'll need to take an exam to get your Basic Amateur Radio Operator license then, don't bother just transmitting on the local repeater as that will annoy the local hams and they will get you shutdown and fined real quick. Not to mention, your radio can be seized.

Buy the guide from RAC or look up your local amateur radio club and see if they offer lessons or get a local ham to mentor you.

Out of curiosity how long does it take to get your AR license on overage?

Status
Not open for further replies.