Fleetnet Zone 2 Site #38

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATCTech

Interesting conditions tonight into Fleetnet Zone 2. Currently decoding both Apsley (site 21) on 142.530 and Site 38 on 142.635. Apsley is reporting 38 as one of it's peers while the unlisted 38 is showing 18, 19, 21, 24, 26 & 28 as peers.

Anyone have information on this one?

Attachments

• Zone 2 Site 38.JPG
    Zone 2 Site 38.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:

DaveH

If you're decoding the Site 38 CC you should be able to get a Site Alias...which
would narrow it down if not nail down the location. Not sure if/how Unitrunker
does this but other utilities such as TRUNK88 etc. display it.

Dave

DaveH

Also, check Andy's very useful map of Zone 2 sites (>Wiki). As a crude exercise one could
draw lines between neighbour sites which are furthest apart and probably come up with an
approximate location. I'll still betting on the Site Alias...it worked for one of the
newer sites (Millar's Corners) once people knew the general area, though it did go
unnoticed for awhile...

Dave

BTW I'm guessing between Bancroft and Whitney (Algonquin Park?)

Last edited:

ATCTech

Thanks Dave. I was hoping it would populate but with constant blanking by co-users of the frequency and fading it never did. The other notable thing is Apsley was reporting the site 38 CC as 142.590 when it was actually on 142.635. Site 38 was reporting 142.590 as it's alternate. Maybe tonight will be good too and I'll start listening earlier.

Bob

DaveH

OK Bob, good find and observations. I just noticed (when you mentioned 142.590) that
Pontypool in Zone 1 has that CC and is also Site 38. That might explain things given
enhanced propagation.

Dave

mciupa

Also, check Andy's very useful map of Zone 2 sites (>Wiki). As a crude exercise one could
draw lines between neighbour sites which are furthest apart and probably come up with an
approximate location. I'll still betting on the Site Alias...it worked for one of the
newer sites (Millar's Corners) once people knew the general area, though it did go
unnoticed for awhile...

Dave

BTW I'm guessing between Bancroft and Whitney (Algonquin Park?)

Maynooth, perhaps?

ATCTech

Could be Dave, the way things were fading in and out last night anything is possible. I receive Pontypool regularly (including as I write this, sorry Mike!) and as usual it's only showing me Whitby and Sunderland as peers. Also, it's Zone 1. Being nowhere near enough the boundary to Zone 2 here I have to ask, it is normal for peers to exist across zones? My question relates to the limited peers Pontypool reports. It's more the cc of 142.635 that had me stumped, and the lack of a site 38 in the RR database in Zone 2.

The VHF WX channels were alternating between Environment Canada and National Weather service stations every minute or two for a while as well.

As an aside, I also saw a DMR control channel at 142.470 showing system #387 and Site #1 briefly, but very clearly. That according to DMRDecode.

Bob

Attachments

• Ponypool 38.JPG
    Ponypool 38.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:

ATCTech

Thanks, hadn't gone searching. It just showed up for a moment during my Fleetnet activity last night.

slicerwizard

it is normal for peers to exist across zones? My question relates to the limited peers Pontypool reports.
No. Since zone 1 and zone 2 are separate, non-interconnected systems, it would do a user no good if his radio automatically jumped from one system to the other - who would hear him?

DaveH

So...can anyone confirm there is a new Zone 2 Site 38, and it's not just a UniTrunker
anomaly; and that proximity to Zone 1 Site 38 is just coincidental?

Dave

ATCTech

I would love to have those conditions back again to confirm what was logged but it hasn't happened. The 'clue' I guess you could say was Apsley reporting a site #38 peer. As slicerwizard confirms, it wouldn't be a zone 1 site. I stupidly neglected to do a screen capture of the Apsley decode.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I would love to have those conditions back again to confirm what was logged but it hasn't happened. The 'clue' I guess you could say was Apsley reporting a site #38 peer. As slicerwizard confirms, it wouldn't be a zone 1 site. I stupidly neglected to do a screen capture of the Apsley decode.

Bob:

Check out my post today on Fleetnet, Can you monitor anything like the towers I monitored over the last days?

Status
Not open for further replies.