How old is FleetNet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrweather

Out of curiosity, how old is Fleetnet?

I remember listening to OPP on the NOR system as late as 2000/2001.

mmisk

When OPP was on low band

I am giving away how old I am but......I used to listen to them on low band.
42.06 and 42.22 if my memory is correct. Times sure have changed.
Could listen to anything in those days. Anyone else?

mciupa

Database Admin
I am giving away how old I am but......I used to listen to them on low band.
42.06 and 42.22 if my memory is correct. Times sure have changed.
Could listen to anything in those days. Anyone else?

When I would vacation near Rice Lake the OPP pairings were 41.96 and 42.02 for Port Hope Detachment.

derevs

Count me in on that. Used to listen to OPP in Bala. The only problem was american interference during the summer months, Cedar Rapids, I believe.
And some some good days I also found CHP (California Highway Patrol) on my tunable Patrolman.

DaveH

From my notes, Fleetnet moved into eastern Ontario in Dec. 2002. Prior to that I recall on a trip to KW, hearing what was the first Zone 1 CC on 142.815, which turned out to be Guelph (but didn't know it at the time); must have been at least a couple of years earlier.

Dave

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
When I moved to London, EMS had JUST switched over to Fleetnet. This would have been Spring 2001. OPP were still on NOR for more or less the rest of the year, if not more. A good bet would be to say 2002 is when Fleetnet went into full swing.

mrweather

Thanks all for the info. I remember the old trick for monitoring NOR was to put in the 107.2 PL tone so that the scanner wouldn't lock up on the squawking noise. Unfortunately, I only could hear the base side of the transmission.

Last edited:

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
That was an intentional design of the system. There were a few different modes of operation for the system:

NOR = Normal = Comm Center to Car only (one car at a time) - In this mode, you'd only hear the PCC.
TAC = Total Area Coverage = Many cars together on one "channel" used for incidents - In this mode, you'd hear both sides.
SIM = Simplex = Radio to Radio
COM = Provincial Common = 142.770 Repeater
AUX = Auxiliary Channels, used for non-OPP repeaters in specific setups. For example, OPP in Northern Ontario had access to MOH PCOM 150.1000 to coordinate helicopter landings via the AUX channel.

They could also do a "Line Patch" which was used to allow two cars to talk to each other. This would use the A and B channel for each respective car.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
And with that...I think Marty the OPP dispatcher left when fleetnet came in. Everyone liked Marty on the radio. He was a favourite dispatcher of many.

There was also another familiar voice as well. May very well been an Irish accent at that too. Not sure who that was.

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
I heard a guy with accent a lot on Fleetnet. I thought they called him Marty????? One of his favorite lines was telling them of a report that somebody was rolling down the highway "At a high rate of fuel consumption"

Have not heard the voice in quite a while though.

Status
Not open for further replies.