Motorola specs needed for FleetNet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need the use of your big brains out there. I am a retired Firefighter/ Medic from the USA. I live in Ontario now. I have a uniden digital scanner but to me the sound is crappy on them. Due to medical reasons I could be in a wheelchair soon and need to find a hobby. I want to buy some radios like a Motorola xts 5000 or similar. I found a company who is willing to program the Bellnet freqs as receive only in them for me.

Can someone tell me the requirements or whatever they are called I need to have so I can buy one online. Like smartzone etc. I know I need vhf but what else do I look for.. thanks

mmisk

Hello and welcome.

I am in Ottawa, however I am sure that someone in the London area will be able to help you out soon.

Mike

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
I am pretty sure the radios will not work for you because they need to be registered on the fleetnet system Even if you got them working the dispatcher will see the radio on the tower and wonder who/what it is and then they can kick you off if needed.

I think, someone here can likely correct me.

That being said I have multiple 996XT and 996XTP2's and it sounds fine to me.

ATCTech

...or just a good quality external speaker on your current radio. My old 396t is just fine on Fleetnet through a proper speaker. A whole lot cheaper than a new radio or a having to be in front of your PC to listen.

derevs

walruswaterhead;
Looked at your current radio list and noticed you have a BCD 396XT, this radio is capable of p25 digital which the OPP use, (at present). You can always add an external speaker for better audio. Although the audio isn't too good on handhelds you might want to go to a base station like the 996p2 or the 536hp with an external speaker.
These can be programmed very easily with the Sentinel software.
The xts5000 would have limited coverage and programming capabilities should you wish to listen to other agencies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I am pretty sure the radios will not work for you because they need to be registered on the fleetnet system Even if you got them working the dispatcher will see the radio on the tower and wonder who/what it is and then they can kick you off if needed.

No, an XTS/XTL radio can be set up to not affiliate with the system and scan it. It is not simple, and needs to be done properly or the radio will try and affiliate.

If your radio does affiliate, it can cause serious problems with authorized users and system resources. Likely the system operator will inhibit the radio, rendering it useless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gary123

Welcome to Ontario. I dont want to scare you but you should know what your dealing with and the potential risks involved.

Myself I wouldnt even go the Moto radio route. They are not user programmable. To put them on the system requires the unauthorized use of software and restricted 'tools'. Scanners are safe and easily programmable for the TGs you want and the towers your near. They can be quickly updated for any place you plan to travel. They also scan faster and have more user friendly displays with more information if you set them up to display it.

A big downside:
If it did affiliate expect to own a brick (dead radio) The system is regularly monitored for illegal units or units logging in outside their normal areas/times etc. These hits are NOT ignored. The tower, TG, RID time and other info is collected. This is one of the few things Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (The government) actively work with the agencies to enforce.

There are a lot of people here in the London area who will be happy to help you get your scanner working as good as it gets. There are P25 settings that can be tweaked to really improve the audio and function. You can even upload your scanner .hpd have some one edit it and return it to you. They can walk you through using sentinel or other software etc.

scanning is a great hobby. There is not only law enforcement to monitor. if you see a plane you can monitor the aircraft coming and going at the airport. The same for trains, Hospitals, schools (sometimes very interesting) , Hiway trucking, The local mall or factory (sometimes very informative as they get bored and chat about all kinds of stuff). Sometimes you can pick up the local drive through very entertaining while your having a coffee or hamburger. If you get deeper into it you can pick up satellites and some military operations The list goes on.

Myself I like being able to go through the city and know what 'channel' that building is using.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Hah, looks like you're outvoted five to one. Meanwhile, us Moto owners will keep on enjoying the clear audio and what, double the range that any scanner can hope to muster?

Huh? Not my problem people do not want to learn, and are ok with crappy receivers and crappy audio...

thanks for all the responses. the company i found to program it, is a authorized motorola dealer that programs all the ambulance radios on the network north of toronto. i have listened to them on my 396xt for a while and not super excited with the audio quality. i dont wanna brick a radio but if i can figure out a portable way to get a crisp sound i hope to look at the option.

Again thanks for the help

slicerwizard

Huh? Not my problem people do not want to learn, and are ok with crappy receivers and crappy audio...
I guess you misunderstood.

BTW, I notice that in pretty much every "Just use a scanner" discussion, some of the "Don't use a Motorola radio" comments come from guys who use Motorola radios as scanners. Go figure.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I guess you misunderstood.

BTW, I notice that in pretty much every "Just use a scanner" discussion, some of the "Don't use a Motorola radio" comments come from guys who use Motorola radios as scanners. Go figure.

Roger. I see what you are saying. My apologies.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
the company i found to program it, is a authorized motorola dealer that programs all the ambulance radios on the network north of toronto.

If they're an authorized dealer, they should be able to tell you what to buy. I would recommend you ask them.

DaveH

I know just about nothing about Motorola CPS but can I assume there is capability to set the TX frequencies on the CCs at least to something (like 0) which will assure that the radio does not try to affiliate?

Dave

gary123

can I assume there is capability to set the TX frequencies on the CCs at least to something (like 0) which will assure that the radio does not try to affiliate?

That is why using a radio as a scanner may be a bad idea. If you dont know what your doing your asking for trouble.

DaveH

Just thinking out loud a bit as I know the free Chinese SW used to program Tier 2 DMR radios allows TX frequency to be set to zero, plus disable TX, which hopefully in that case stops any transmission. Moto CPS may be similar.

And if WPW is not happy with scanner audio, willing to spend the bucks and doesn't create any problems, who would I be to argue...

As for me I'm OK with scanner audio, for the little I listen to OPP as it's not terribly riveting around here, mostly traffic stops, reports of bad driving, collisions, domestics etc. Plus I don't care for expensive accessories, licensed software, single-band and keyboard programming limitations. Not questioning the superior performance of "real radios" in many cases.

Dave

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I know just about nothing about Motorola CPS but can I assume there is capability to set the TX frequencies on the CCs at least to something (like 0) which will assure that the radio does not try to affiliate?

You can set a channel range different from the proper range and then pick a frequency within that range and your radio will never affiliate.

However, that will not keep it from trying to affiliate. It will still try on the channel you have chosen. There was another member here who had no clue what he was doing and he didn't understand that the flashing red light was his radio trying to affiliate. The system would never see the radio but it was still transmitting.

Keep in mind that your radio can still be inhibited. It doesn't need to affiliate to be inhibited.

gary123

I would set the tx power to the lowest value the tuner allows. That way your not pumping out 5 or more watts intermittently on some "unknown" frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.