United Counties of Prescott-Russell Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmisk

United Counties of Prescott-Russell Fire

Have not heard any activity on the usual frequencies in quite some time.

Had a look at their council minutes and it looks like they have hired Turris to supply them with a new radio system.

No other information on this .

DaveH

Which frequencies are you not hearing cavity on : 154.010, link on 414.2875/419.2875 etc.?

Turris has UHF channels in Sarsfiled, Vankleek Hill, Rockland etc. but nothing to suggest any fire service would go onto these (public system). Also in TAFL: 163.275 and 163.575 in Casselman, looks like DMR but have not heard anything on them, may not be related.

Dave

mmisk

Yes the long time 154.010 and others are now quiet.

Nothing new in the TAFL listings.

I will try to listen more to the Turris system as much as possible.

MM

DaveH

DaveH

Maybe someone could sneak a peek of antennas on fire vehicles in SD&G.

Also: Rockland area FF mentioned to me about a year or so ago, they were switching to DMR, no further
details; but things sometimes change. Ottawa currently dispatches them.

Dave

Jammin_Jay

This could explain the reason why a switch over occured, turris is the radio service provider.
This is right from north glengarry fire , which was dispatched from hawkesburry
They explain about how different depts would walk all over each other during some communications...
In prescott russel and north glengarry
Bell will be installing radio equipment on the maxville water tower.

What gets me about this, is why would one fire dispatch, use the same frequency as another different fire dispatch, so
When you have multiple calls, they walk on one another, there argument, is that they paid for the liscense to broadcast on that frequency.

http://www.northglengarry.ca/uploads/24/Doc_636438538900766352.pdf

Last edited:

mmisk

I live in the east end and have been listening to them for years.
They each have their own separate frequencies, plus the common mutual aid frequencies.

Now they are all quiet and I don't hear them on any of the Turris sites or anywhere else.

randyf

still trying to figure this all out
The Council of the United Counties of Prescott and Russell met on March 21, 2017, in the
Counties’ Administration Building in L'Orignal to attend an information session on
communication infrastructure system by Turris Communications.
WARDEN’S WELCOME AND ROLL CALL
At 9:15 a.m. Warden Gary J. Barton called the meeting to order.
Were present: Warden Gary J. Barton, Jeanne Charlebois, Guy Desjardins, Robert Kirby,
Fernand Dicaire, Conrad Lamadeleine, Pierre Leroux and François St-Amour, Council
Members.
Also present: Stéphane P. Parisien CAO, Michel Chrétien, Marc Clermont, Pierre Gauthier,
Justin Bromberg and Andrée Latreille, Clerk
Anie Vigliotti, Sal Hussary and Dan Lafrance, Turris Communications’ Representatives
Fire Chiefs, some Chief Administrative Officers of local municipalities
POWERPOINT PRESENTATION
Madam Aline Vigliotti, Project Manager at Turris Communications gave a copy of her
PowerPoint presentation. She presented the “Motorola Connect Plus Managed system”,
discussed the current issues with the actual system, their system features, and pricing
structure in three parts 1) infrastructure, maintenance, airtime; 2) user gear; and 3) paging
option. Mrs. Vigliotti, Mr. Hussary and Mr. Lafrance answered questions from Members and
attending fire chiefs.
The discussions also involved the reasons for sole sourcing, the need to clarify the costs for
each municipality and the importance of having liability insurance to indemnify the
municipalities in the event of a system disaster. At the Council’s request, fire chiefs will have
to send their user gear data so that Turris calculate the actual costs per municipality, and
time is of the essence.
ADJOURNMENT
061… Moved by Pierre Leroux
Seconded by Robert Kirby
BE IT RESOLVED that Council adjourned the Special Council Meeting at 10:30 a.m.
Carried

DaveH

There are some council minutes from over a year ago mentioning Turris, Bell, Maxville water tower, Cornwall frequency etc. Things have happened since.

Connect Plus sounds like an oversell for a system like this, if you look at Leeds & Grenville conventional/simulcast on two channels.

I have not heard any new CC's which would map to this activity. Putting them on a public UHF system sounds like a bad move.

TAFL search of Turris, Bell Mobility, Maxville, Cornwall, various known frequencies, etc. has not turned up anything specific.

How is mutual aid handled now?

More questions than answers...

This is where someone closer to the action could be helpful.

To start, did the installation at Maxville go ahead?

Can someone eyeball fire vehicles for (new) antennas?

Dave

mmisk

Guess I am probably closest. I am perhaps 20 minutes from Russell

I plan on going to Embrun-Russell, grab a coffee and check out the station and vehicles for antennas etc

Perhaps if there is someone who looks friendly I might say hello.

I know a someone who is or was a fire volunteer out here, and I did ask him about their new radios but he had not idea what I was talking about.

randyf

still trying to figure this all out
what are you running for radios run a search for a bit through 150ish up to say 174.000 and up through 400.000 to about 470.000 see if any nxdn and dmr pop up if you have a nxdn dmr capable radio

Jammin_Jay

Randy i think your confusing the town of prescott which is grenville county,
With the actual Counties of prescott and Russell which are united.

Hawkesburry is the central dispatch, for the counties except Clarence-Rockland which was dispatched
By ottawa. Hawkesburry also dispatched the township of North Glengarry, in SD&G.

The main tower which linked the previous UHF system with all the other towers, was
In ST isidore on top of the water tower.

That may of changed, with this new system.
Anyone in the vicinity take a picture of a fire truck antenna or antenna at the stations
Or if your lucky enough one of the portables the fireman are carrying on them.

Jammin_Jay

I dont know if this is being too specific, but read this link i found
Its a inventory of all the communication equipment for hawkesburry fire dispatch, for prescott russell fire depts
Little dated, probably...

Be advised, this link has 30 pages, but lists specifics to model # of dispatch equipment, tones of repeaters,
Link frequencies, and which location and tower, the length of coxial cable, type of canble.
Too bad these listings werent available throughout ontario fire services dispatch, lol

https://www.alfred-plantagenet.com/fr/our-township/resources/Fire-Dispatch---Equipment-Inventory.pdf

Last edited:

mmisk

A visit to Russell

what are you running for radios run a search for a bit through 150ish up to say 174.000 and up through 400.000 to about 470.000 see if any nxdn and dmr pop up if you have a nxdn dmr capable radio

I would have close call, and a laptop with SDR with a 2mhz spectrum.

So I took a drive to Russell picked up a Tim's then went to the Fire Station.
All of the trucks were in. Took a picture of the tower, and looks like all vhf still.

No activity, could not stay too long. That picture was from a cellphone, next time will bring a better camera.

Attachments

• Russell FD Crop.jpg
    Russell FD Crop.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

DaveH

I dont know if this is being too specific, but read this link i found
Its a inventory of all the communication equipment for hawkesburry fire dispatch, for prescott russell fire depts
Little dated, probably...

Be advised, this link has 30 pages, but lists specifics to model # of dispatch equipment, tones of repeaters,
Link frequencies, and which location and tower, the length of coxial cable, type of canble.
Too bad these listings werent available throughout ontario fire services dispatch, lol

https://www.alfred-plantagenet.com/fr/our-township/resources/Fire-Dispatch---Equipment-Inventory.pdf

Interesting though it's all the old stuff. Activity on 154.010 is not completely gone, heard paging to Embrun last night on it.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.