Portland audio feeds - System Reconfiguration - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
Both of my audio feeds (Portland Fire and Portland Law) had a slight disruption this afternoon while I moved the computer, dropped in a new video card, moved some stuff around, plugged the power into the UPS (missed that somewhere...) and got ready for my soon-to-be addition of both Clackamas County Law and Clackamas County fire.

I need some good feedback about the current audio levels - too loud? too soft? I can hear them at almost any setting when I stream (man, is there some lag!), but need some more subjective feedback.

There will be a little more downtime later this week when I drop some more RAM into the machine (which, by the way, is about 7 years old, at least according to the date on the BIOS).

joe

pdxbofh

They sound good to me, I will listen more at work tomorrow and report back...

Also. when you program CC Fire, you should include PS1 since they do their water rescues there (at least they used to) - but I'm sure you know that, and were going to include it anyway !
Thanks for the feeds, they come in really handy !!
Will

Baker845

Each time i listen the feeds sound good here. Clackamas county Fire Does use PS1 (Clack A) for water rescues. I heard one when i was up there this last weekend.

Thank you Joe for great feeds, look forward to Clackamas county feed.

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
Both of my audio feeds (Portland Fire and Portland Law) had a slight disruption this afternoon while I moved the computer, dropped in a new video card, moved some stuff around, plugged the power into the UPS (missed that somewhere...) and got ready for my soon-to-be addition of both Clackamas County Law and Clackamas County fire.

I need some good feedback about the current audio levels - too loud? too soft? I can hear them at almost any setting when I stream (man, is there some lag!), but need some more subjective feedback.

There will be a little more downtime later this week when I drop some more RAM into the machine (which, by the way, is about 7 years old, at least according to the date on the BIOS).

joe

The audio feeds have not been very reliable lately, since the switch to ScannerCast. Two instances running simultaneously make the old Celeron 1.7 that runs the feeds bottom out - even with 2GB of RAM.

I will be switching back to the old client (Oddcast?) and moving the Clackamas Law feed down there and adding the Clackamas Fire feed.

joe

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
Well, for those of you that do listen to my feeds (and there are ocasionally a LOT of you!), my feed machine is down (but not out) - the hard drive controller has failed. (I guess that's what happens when you upgrade the memory and drive in an old machine that should just be left to die...)

I hope to have the audio back online tomorrow, but the tags will be turned off until I can get a new hard drive controller.

Thanks for your patience through some of the odd audio the last few days. Hopefully the new controller will fix the problem.

joe

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
OK, I was able to get the new machine configured just in time to have to leave for work, so the audio feeds should currently be up and running (and more usable than they've been for the last several days), but the audio levels are whacked - silly me.

Hopefully everything will be normalized shortly after I get home from work this afternoon.

Happy trails.

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
okay, all four feeds should be online and streaming now. Restored just in time for Portland Fire to find a 55 at the scene of a brush fire in SE.

Please let me know if you listen and experience any problems. Yes, I am aware of the reception issues and am working on reengineering my antenna feed to eliminate them.

I'm also aware that there are no tags being streamed (due to a software glitch I hope), but 3 out of the four scanners now support the feature.

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
OK, the feeds are now more-or-less in their final configuration. A new antenna system feeds all the scanners, and I think the audio quality is much better.

Please provide feedback.

A new scanner will be installed soon for Clackamas Law so that alpha tags can be provided there.

Clackamas County Fire Live Scanner Audio Feed
Clackamas County Law Enforcement Live Scanner Audio Feed
Multnomah County Sheriff and Portland Police Live Scanner Audio Feed
Portland Bureau of Fire and Rescue Live Scanner Audio Feed

joe

pdxbofh

feedback

Just been listening for a few minutes, but so far:

CC Law sounds good
CC Fire is scratchy

Portland Fire sounds GREAT !

Wash Co Fire sounds GREAT !

Thanks for providing this for us !

==========
EDIT for UPDATE:

CC FIRE: The signal itself doesn't sound scratchy, sounds more like low audio that is turned up maybe causing the HISSING sound ? Just guessing

Last edited:

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
Well, some how, I managed to screw up the band plan for the Multnomah County law feed. Go figure. That's fixed now.

The Clackamas Fire feed is provided through a BCT15X, audio from scanner "line out" jack into line in jack on audio card. I will see what I can do about adjusting levels.

I don't provide the Washington County fire feed, but thanks for the other comments!

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
Found the issue with the Clackamas Fire feed just now - the audio hardware had automatic gain control turned on. Turned it off and it sounds much better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.