RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Oregon Radio Discussion Forum

Oregon Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Oregon.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 2:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Any word on Salem/Marion Co going digital?

Contemplating buying a new scanner, but I don't want to waste money either on a digital if not neccesary, or a conventional if it will be useless in a matter of months.

I had heard rumors of Salem going to a digital system a couple years ago, but haven't heard anything since, and with the budget crunch everyone is under I don't know if it got backburnered.

Thanks,
Tom
Sponsored links
Old 10-02-2012, 3:17 PM
Just another radio geek.
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The last rumor I heard about the salem area was they were looking at hooking up with the WCCCA/CCOM/Newberg system. Who knows when or if?
Old 10-02-2012, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joescanner View Post
The last rumor I heard about the salem area was they were looking at hooking up with the WCCCA/CCOM/Newberg system. Who knows when or if?
I think it will now be "if"
Old 10-03-2012, 9:37 AM

Salem and Marion Co are only rebanding UHF and VHF currently. You are safe, from what I've heard they are not going digital for a few years yet. Buying used or new? Make sure the scanner model accepts rebanded frequencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmundal View Post
Contemplating buying a new scanner, but I don't want to waste money either on a digital if not neccesary, or a conventional if it will be useless in a matter of months.

I had heard rumors of Salem going to a digital system a couple years ago, but haven't heard anything since, and with the budget crunch everyone is under I don't know if it got backburnered.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-03-2012, 9:52 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks for the replies. Not sure what yet, was thinking of going with something inexpensive to run a dedicated MCFD #1 feed but I need to test a rooftop antenna first to see whether or not I can get the simplex fireground comms from south Salem. If not, its probably not worth the effort. Also, I just like to collect toys

I currently have a

RS Pro-89 (Salem PD feed)

RS Pro-164 (Salem Fire feed)

BCT346xt Personal

Would like to add a 'base' scanner hooked to a roof antenna.
Sponsored links
Old 10-03-2012, 5:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fielder3 View Post
Salem and Marion Co are only rebanding UHF and VHF currently. You are safe, from what I've heard they are not going digital for a few years yet. Buying used or new? Make sure the scanner model accepts rebanded frequencies.
"REBANDING" only affects 800MHz, Salem made the shift a few years ago.

If you are referring to NARROW BANDING, Central fire was done last year, don't know about MCSO but all of the locals and North, and South fire channels are narrow.