153.740 Unknown Licensee

Status
Not open for further replies.

southradio

Occasionally, during band scans, I'll have a weak signal show up on 153.740. This appears to be ducting of a signal from somewhere (perhaps western Washington, area area from which I also receive ducting of signals on typical fire frequencies such as 154.010, 154.430, etc. The weak signal on 153.740 appears to be a fire or EMS dispatch operation as I'll hear tones followed by a warbler. Looking at the RR database, I see Polk County Oregon is licensed for this but it doesn't appear to be used for dispatch so must be someone else. There are a few Washington licenses on it. Anyone else hearing this? I first noticed it during the summer and managed to detect a 110.9 PL being used. With some downtime during the holidays allowing more listening time and more band scanning for activity, I've noticed it again occasionally the past couple of days. Anyone have an idea where it originates?

boycesm

153.74000 KJY673 M 103.5 PL OxbowRegPark Oxbow Regional Park (METRO) - Gresham FM Public Works
- Pulled from R.R. D.B.

Not sure about the other ones but I found that one off the bat.

mikepdx

Occasionally, during band scans, I'll have a weak signal show up on 153.740...
The weak signal on 153.740 appears to be a fire or EMS dispatch operation...

It would help to know where YOU are located to better answer the question.

but...you probably hear this:
Clatsop County Fire went to a repeater on their
fire dispatch channel - the new output freq is 153.74
KYO255 (CLATSOP, COUNTY OF) FCC Callsign Details

The RR database is NOT correct showing 151.155 as the
fire frequency. That's actually the input for Medix Amb repeater.

southradio

"but...you probably hear this:

fire frequency. That's actually the input for Medix Amb repeater."

Thanks for that info. Next time my work takes me closer to Clatsop County, I'll have to check that out. I was assuming it was from somewhere in western Washington as I was also receiving quite a bit of ducting from that area.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber

Thank you for the update. :) Every trip to the coast leaves me wondering if I am missing something.

southradio

I'm occasionally hearing traffic again this summer on 153.740 and was able to identify it as apparently Mason County, Washington with mentions of Shelton in the fire/ems dispatches. Using a 110.9 PL which looks like the same PL as is being used in Polk County, Oregon. Doesn't show up in the RR database for Mason County and FCC shows both FB and FB2 transmitter sites but I haven't been able to detect any repeater operation so far with the very weak and noisy signals. RR database shows 110.9 being used for those frequencies shown. The ducting often provides reception of Thurston County VHF high band signals during the summer so this fits right with that pattern.

Padovani

I live in Polk County, and that frequency is a secondary working channel — but it rarely gets used. Its primary use is to take the load off of 153.770 when there are multiple large incidents. If you're hearing even occasional traffic on it, it's definitely not coming from here!

kd7jfv

Database Admin
Mike, can you please submit a correction to the database so I can get it updated to reflect this information?

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I have a similar mystery going on. I was searching the bands a while back and found a very weak signal on 154.0625, DCS 343. It I is a repeater output. Unfortunately I haven’t yet been able to copy any info that might indicate a location. My impression so far is that it is law enforcement, maybe a secondary channel, but I could be wrong. It’s just so weak I can’t make out much. It’s probably reaching me through tropospheric ducting, and I’m now trying to figure out a direction based on what other distant stations I’m hearing at the same time. Like Lewis County, Hood River County, Lincoln County; all of those I only receive from my home in SW Portland when conditions are right, so maybe that can at least point a direction for this weak signal. But if anyone happens to know who this is I’d love to know! Perhaps one or two of you kind folks could plug this into your scanning rotation and see if you receive a copiable signal.

Thanks in advance for any help!

<Edit to add: &#8220;It is a repeater output.&#8221;>

Last edited:

Baker845

Did a fcc date base search and 154.0625 is freq in sweet home for Linn county SO. And there also listing for Grays Harbor county WA. But it's likely Linn county you are hearing.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Did a fcc date base search and 154.0625 is freq in sweet home for Linn county SO. And there also listing for Grays Harbor county WA. But it's likely Linn county you are hearing.

Thanks for that info Baker845. Linn County would definitely make sense. I can receive them on 154.71 when they’re on Scott Mt and conditions are right. But I’m not sure if they use their old system much anymore - haven’t heard them for a while. Do they still use analog VHF at all? Are there any folks down the valley hearing Linn SO on this frequency? Would be interesting to know.

I saw the Grays Harbor Fire listing in the RR database. Pretty sure it’s not that - too far away for typical tropo conditions around here, plus I think what I’m hearing is law enforcement.

Baker845

Doing some more researching 154.0625 is the input to on of there repeaters that link from 700mhz. Vhf is still used in Linn county where 700mhz system doesn't work. In data base there list of Linn county new vhf freqs.From what i been told asking around all but, one site is linked to Linn counties 700 mhz talkgroup for dispatch.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
Linn County's VHF in the DB is correct. They have all of their VHF repeaters multicast with their dispatch talkgroup on the SW 7 system and the State system except that Scott Mtn VHF is silent.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Linn County's VHF in the DB is correct. They have all of their VHF repeaters multicast with their dispatch talkgroup on the SW 7 system and the State system except that Scott Mtn VHF is silent.

Do you know if they're using 154.0625 for anything? It's not listed in the RR database for Linn Co., but as Baker mentioned it is included in their FCC license. I haven't heard any activity on that frequency for a few days, but I haven't been watching my scanner like a hawk either. Plus if it is is actually Linn County on that frequency I would need propagation conditions to be just right to get a signal. Seems like conditions have been so-so lately. I have yet to get a clear enough signal to make out what exactly I'm hearing.

Baker845

sparklehorse,

You won't hear traffic on 154.0625. It's input freq for one of Linn counties Vhf repeater that is multicast with their dispatch talkgroup.

Status
Not open for further replies.