Milaircomms in Lincoln County?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanthewaves

Does anyone know if there is including USGS mil air coms that can be monitored in L.C.? with only a portable like BCD 396 XT without a roof mount? I'm about 4 miles inland from Lincoln City. Also anything on HF?

Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The ironic thing here is that you're a bit too far away to hear the base station (although there's an outside chance you could hear any aircraft leaving the base), and you're a bit too close to hear them on HF (and the 396XT doesn't really get HF anyway...).

You would need to have no obstructions (mountains, buildings, etc.) between you and the base to have a chance at hearing them on the 396XT especially with just the little duckie in your home.

Mike

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
You've got an air station in Astoria, another in North Bend, and one helo from North Bend based in Newport (although soon to be closed Dec. 15th).

I would imagine that many rescues close to shore would be coordinated between the USCG and local fire departments / fire districts on VHF marine channels or VHF fire channels. As far as Milair comms go, it probably wouldn't hurt to plug in the various nationwide USCG UHF frequencies and see what pops up. Plus, the CG supposedly has their new(er) digital VHF channels in operation on the OR coast.

But like Mike said, with just an HT antenna, your range is going to be pretty much limited to line of sight.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
I used to live on the south coast and I still have family there and travel down there every now and then and the USCG uses 345.000 AM for helicopters. They also use Marine VHF channels 16, 21A, and 22A and yes they do have their P25 freqs in use. Some are mixed encryption and some use no encryption.

USCG P25 VHF and UHF: (All of them use 293 NAC)
United States Coast Guard - The RadioReference Wiki

I've heard USCG North Bend Sector and units under its command use VHF 110, 111, 114, 121, 123, 127, and 128 for motor life boat ops and 411 UHF for helos but the UHF one is almost always encrypted.

Sector North Bend goes from OR/CA border to Depot Bay. Astoria covers north of Depot Bay to OR/WA border if I recall correctly. So there may be more of those digital freqs in use by Astoria units too.

Last edited:

Ghostman6

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yes, I can verify Astoria uses the VHF digital in Astoria. I had my XTS2500 at Camp Rilea recently on business and heard quite a bit of traffic. The info in the link is correct on the frequencies and NACs.

Status
Not open for further replies.