Portland Police Bureau

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello:

I am attempting to monitor Portland P.B. North Precinct on 10704. However, I am not hearing very much activity. Is it a common practice for them to combined dispatch to another precinct?

Thanks!

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
It used to be, when there were 4 dispatch talkgroups years ago. IIRC, they would patch North/NE and Central together, and SE and East together on a daily basis between 3am and 3pm. But I don't believe they patch nets anymore since moving to three dispatch TGs. Then again I have all my radios set to ignore the status bit, so if they did patch two TGs I wouldn't necessarily notice. But I don't believe they do. Any one net can be pretty quiet for long periods.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
That's why scanners scan ;). I often have my BC780 set to check just about every public service talkgroup or frequency from Lewis County, WA south to Linn County, OR, out east to Hood River County and west to Lincoln County. When the propagation is really good I can occasionally pickup Thurston County, WA, and even Douglas County, OR. The 780 is never quiet for long, even at 4am on a Tuesday! But for sure on a busy night there can be plenty just on 10704.

G

Last edited:
Wow...what type of antenna do you have? It's interesting because on one hand I want to listen/hear all that traffic...but at some point it becomes overwhelming. I guess for me, less is more?

3King

Premium Subscriber
I have a quick question... What is the TG for Portland police and multnomah county sheriff department?and is there a TG that I can listen to both agencies county wide?

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Wow...what type of antenna do you have? It's interesting because on one hand I want to listen/hear all that traffic...but at some point it becomes overwhelming. I guess for me, less is more?

I'm running a rooftop 2-meter Yagi. I have it pointed south, and it certainly has the best gain in that direction, but it does suprisingly well in all directions. I live on a small hill which helps as well.

As far as the traffic, I don't try to pick out details or follow every conversation. Most law and fire comms are pretty boring when you get right down to it. What I'm listening for out of the corner of my ear are things like background sirens, excited voices, or the odd word that gets your attention like "ricochet", or "55", or SERT, or EDU. Then I know something's up and I can hone in on what's happening, fire up another radio if need be, etc. That's how I like to do it. Everyone has their own thing.

I should also ask, is the Portland Public Safety Radio System Motorola Type II SmartZone FM or NMF?

I'd be surprised if it's not NFM, especially after re-banding, but there's certainly no harm in switching your trunk frequencies to FM mode to see which sounds better.

I have a quick question... What is the TG for Portland police and multnomah county sheriff department?and is there a TG that I can listen to both agencies county wide?

PPB has three dispatch talkgroups, MCSO has their own TG, which also dispatches Gresham PD, and I believe Fairview PD as well. There is no single "county-wide" TG, but of course individual units can chat with each other on Law 1, or some other tac channel. You'll find all the talkgroups in the RR database:

Portland Public Safety Radio System Trunking System, Portland, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

G

It's amazing how living on a hill helps. Just increases that range so much. Much like yourself, I guess from over the years of listening, I've just learned to tune in the "action" and drown out the rest.

I haven't noticed too much of a difference between the NFM & FM...I have it on NFM right now and I guess I'll just leave it at that.

---

It appears all the info. in the database is correct for the Portland Public Safety Radio System. You should be able to easily find all the talkgroups etc.

hillsbjp

Premium Subscriber
They don't patch any of the dispatch talkgroups anymore. All North and NE precinct is dispatched on 10704. All Central and SE traffic is dispatched on 7472. The old SE dispatch talkgroup (9456) is still used for when they have a critical incident close one of the main nets. In those cases they will move non-emergency traffic to the SE talkgroup. They also use SE for special event coordination. Most recently it was the main net for the PPB traffic for the "hands up don't shoot" protests.

To clarify, North and Northeast have been combined administratively into the same precinct. But the cars still have the same beat numbers so you will hear 5xx and 6xx cars on North dispatch. You will hear 7xx and 8xx units on Central.

MCSO and other County Law departments use talkgroup 20816.

3King

Premium Subscriber
I'm running a rooftop 2-meter Yagi. I have it pointed south, and it certainly has the best gain in that direction, but it does suprisingly well in all directions. I live on a small hill which helps as well.

As far as the traffic, I don't try to pick out details or follow every conversation. Most law and fire comms are pretty boring when you get right down to it. What I'm listening for out of the corner of my ear are things like background sirens, excited voices, or the odd word that gets your attention like "ricochet", or "55", or SERT, or EDU. Then I know something's up and I can hone in on what's happening, fire up another radio if need be, etc. That's how I like to do it. Everyone has their own thing.

I'd be surprised if it's not NFM, especially after re-banding, but there's certainly no harm in switching your trunk frequencies to FM mode to see which sounds better.

PPB has three dispatch talkgroups, MCSO has their own TG, which also dispatches Gresham PD, and I believe Fairview PD as well. There is no single "county-wide" TG, but of course individual units can chat with each other on Law 1, or some other tac channel. You'll find all the talkgroups in the RR database:

Portland Public Safety Radio System Trunking System, Portland, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

G
OK,so I have gone thru a little bit of the settings on my psr 500 and just for right now I have Portland police tg 10704 in my radio and I set the system to Motorola 800/900 after seeing that that system also supports 700 and I came across some info about finding out the fleet map code and apparently I have to figure out the fleet map code to get the tg ID to receive correctly,so my question is does anyone know what the fleet map code is so I can program it because after reading the info the fleet map code is all I need to get the 10704 to receive correctly..

DickH

OK,so I have gone thru a little bit of the settings on my psr 500 and just for right now I have Portland police tg 10704 in my radio and I set the system to Motorola 800/900 after seeing that that system also supports 700 and I came across some info about finding out the fleet map code and apparently I have to figure out the fleet map code to get the tg ID to receive correctly,so my question is does anyone know what the fleet map code is so I can program it because after reading the info the fleet map code is all I need to get the 10704 to receive correctly..

Fleet maps are needed only for Motorola Type I systems and those are a thing of the past.
10704 is a Type II Talk Group. The info. you "came across" is not accurate.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber

You don't need a Fleetmap for the Portland 800 system. Just use some software like Win500, get an account here at Radioreference, and import the system from the RR database. Win 500 will take care of all the settings, you'll just need to organize some scan lists for the Talkgroups you want to monitor. In Win500 I think you can choose 'Control Channel Only' as an option somewhere. If so I'd select it, but if you don't see that option don't worry about it.

Otto

You don't even need to have an account here, just copy and paste the info from the database into your software.

If you where running a Uniden XT scanner, you can download freescan, then PM me your email and I could send you a code plug for BOEC, WCCCA, CRESA, CCOM, and all the conventional agencies that you can hear in the Portland metro area. It even has oddball USFS, ODF, Mt. Hood ski patrol etc in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.