PENNDOT - Flaggers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveradio

Yesterday PENNDOT was working on 534 in Carbon County, they had three flaggers posted along the construction site.

I was able to locate the frequency they were using in "plain English" so it must be "Direct, Tac" frequencies off the open sky system.

866.4375 PL156.7

Does each district have its own set of frequencies set-up like this, know they were using same type of HT radios down my way.

Thanks for updates
Steve

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Yesterday PENNDOT was working on 534 in Carbon County, they had three flaggers posted along the construction site.

I was able to locate the frequency they were using in "plain English" so it must be "Direct, Tac" frequencies off the open sky system.

866.4375 PL156.7

Does each district have its own set of frequencies set-up like this, know they were using same type of HT radios down my way.

Thanks for updates
Steve

Steve, interesting catch.

An FCC check shows this frequenct on licenses for two repeater sites...one in Monroe and one in Northampton. Both are trunked system sites for STARNet.

I guess they just randomly grab any of their licensed frequencies for use as a portable to portable simplex talkaround. That'll make it tough to find any other agency talkarounds since there are tons of licensed frequencies for the state system.

I punched this into my scanner and will let you know if I hear anything in my travels around eastern PA.

I wondered why they would want to tie up system resources for something like traffic control at construction sites...looks like they were wise enough to implement off system talk-around for that.

druhe

Premium Subscriber
analog ?

What I find interesting is a PL "156.7" is being displayed. This indicates to me that they are operating analog as opposed to OpenSky or P25

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
What I find interesting is a PL "156.7" is being displayed. This indicates to me that they are operating analog as opposed to OpenSky or P25

That does not surprise me based on what I've seen in regard to the equipment in use.

The new 7100 series radios will do P25 in conventional mode, but I don't think the older portables do that.

Steveradio

They have not been back since that day, not sure if they rotate or who all was using that frequency.

Maybe each District has a "Direct" frequency off system in case of failure or troubled areas like LTR system radios have?

CHAWMAN24

Heard Penn D.O.T. District 9 units on Interstate 99 south of Altoona today using 866.4375 with PL of 156.7 today. It also sounded from what i was hearing that the trucks were also using this frequency to talk to each other. It was definately a talk around frequency of some sort. The flaggers were also on this freq.

talviar

The older portables in use on the Opensky Network do support talk around. Radio requires a reboot to get into "conventional mode" Default CH 1 position shows A634T on the display . . . Translated. . .
A=Analog
634=FCC Channel # 634 which equals 866.4375
T=Talk Around

There are a few other channels but they appear to be the NSPAC Repeater T/A freqs then there is a D634T which would be a digital talk around freq.

A real PITA to switch the radio between talk around and repeater mode.

As always this has been my $1.95 and YMMV. . . :lol:

Tony

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Just heard a Pendot line painting crew use 866.4375 in Luzerne Co. I didn't catch the PL.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Just heard a Pendot line painting crew use 866.4375 in Luzerne Co. I didn't catch the PL.

Pl should be standard 156.7 statewide. It would appear as though some folks have radios that are rebanded and some do not since all of the OpenSky radios in PA should have the same simplex frequency in them (in analog and digital mode).

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
866.4375 P25 N-293 Simplex Philadelphia/Delaware Co. area sounds like a road crew can't confirm it's PennDot though.

Nice, that confirms the blips I heard a couple of weeks ago near 476/95. If it is a road crew on this freq, I'd put my money on PennDOT comms.

JRM5204

Yeah I figured PennDOT just couldn't confirm it was them. They were joking around and playing music but it was a work crew heard talk about getting a shovel off of a truck. I'm at 420 & 95 and it was weak so they had to be a few miles north or south of me on 95 or in the area of exit 1 on 476.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
Nice, that confirms the blips I heard a couple of weeks ago near 476/95. If it is a road crew on this freq, I'd put my money on PennDOT comms.

I get this every AM. There (appears to be) a transmitter stuck open IAO highland ave and I95. I need to see if there is a PL on it. It's been this way for weeks. No voice traffic. Fades in around Rt452 and out around 476.

Dave

Twister_2

Feed Provider
Penndot has been doing a lot of work in the Hershey area this summer. Each time I saw they had proper radios with speaker mics. I assumed they had a UHF P25 simplex freq but never confirmed. I am currently monitoring 866.4375 on my sdr dongle with no luck yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Septa3371CSX1

Penndot has been doing a lot of work in the Hershey area this summer. Each time I saw they had proper radios with speaker mics. I assumed they had a UHF P25 simplex freq but never confirmed. I am currently monitoring 866.4375 on my sdr dongle with no luck yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Try the rebanded frequency of 851.4375.

Status
Not open for further replies.