PA Turnpike

Status
Not open for further replies.

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
Just today I caught some traffic about "the 800 system" not transmitting as it should so they would have to use the current system . I wonder how far off the change over is?

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Just today I caught some traffic about "the 800 system" not transmitting as it should so they would have to use the current system . I wonder how far off the change over is?

Who was it that was talking?

PTC uses the 800 system for data to control highway signs and they have 30 or so mobile radios in use in turnpike admin vehicles. PSP, on the other hand, has OpenSky radios in all their cars. I have not paid much attention lately, but I thought I heard a trooper recently who sounded like he was talking on a patched radio (800 to VHF). No idea if they're going that route or not. Considering PSP is investing in new VHF equipment statewide, it seems unnecessary, so I was probably just hearing things.

PTC has a lot invested in their VHF system and they just narrowbanded the system this summer. Emergency services providers just had to buy new VHF Kenwood radios for the narrowbanding. Most of what I see on the road just has VHF antennas.

This radio maintenance contract RFP would indicate to me that the VHF is not going anywhere anytime soon:
http://www.paturnpike.com/OUTPUT/PDFs/RFPs/100514.pdf

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
A reference was made to Everett . I only heard the last part of the conversation regarding the "800" system. Sounded like a Trooper to me but I have no way of knowing for sure. There was no mention of a Safety designator or service # (8XXX) .

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
PTC has a lot invested in their VHF system and they just narrowbanded the system this summer. Emergency services providers just had to buy new VHF Kenwood radios for the narrowbanding. Most of what I see on the road just has VHF antennas.

I know ............Thats why I thought it was odd to hear the 800 reference.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
From a 2009 document on the PTC web server:

The statewide Open-Sky 800 MHz radio system called PA StarNet is an IP based digital trunked two way radio system being utilized by the Commission for two way communications on the Finley Connector portion of the Mon Fayette Expressway. It is essentially VOIP technology. It interfaces to the Turnpike backbone at Beacon tower via an Open-Sky gateway. The five VHF radio districts also have an Open Sky gateway that can be used to communicate between both the Turnpike and PA StarNet systems. This capability can be utilized to facilitate a cutover to the Open Sky system if necessary.

DEPUTY11

Well PSP-Embreeville and PSP-Avondale all have the new VHF system or old system back in the cars. Just look for the Dukes of Hazard VHF whip antenna on the trunk. Even the unmarked cars have them which kind of gives that away.

kirkwoodcr

Premium Subscriber
Who was it that was talking?

PTC uses the 800 system for data to control highway signs and they have 30 or so mobile radios in use in turnpike admin vehicles. PSP, on the other hand, has OpenSky radios in all their cars. I have not paid much attention lately, but I thought I heard a trooper recently who sounded like he was talking on a patched radio (800 to VHF). No idea if they're going that route or not. Considering PSP is investing in new VHF equipment statewide, it seems unnecessary, so I was probably just hearing things.

This radio maintenance contract RFP would indicate to me that the VHF is not going anywhere anytime soon:
http://www.paturnpike.com/OUTPUT/PDFs/RFPs/100514.pdf

A lot of the patrols are getting the new Motorola radios. However, they sound like they've been digitized real badly.

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
The signals don't seem to be as strong as they used to be . I can hear the nearby comms just fine most of the time but I use to be able to hear much more traffic and a much larger area.

mlmummert

From a 2009 document on the PTC web server:

The statewide Open-Sky 800 MHz radio system called PA StarNet is an IP based digital trunked two way radio system being utilized by the Commission for two way communications on the Finley Connector portion of the Mon Fayette Expressway. It is essentially VOIP technology. It interfaces to the Turnpike backbone at Beacon tower via an Open-Sky gateway. The five VHF radio districts also have an Open Sky gateway that can be used to communicate between both the Turnpike and PA StarNet systems. This capability can be utilized to facilitate a cutover to the Open Sky system if necessary.

So are there Open Sky talk groups that correspond which each of the VHF channels?

kirkwoodcr

Premium Subscriber
So are there Open Sky talk groups that correspond which each of the VHF channels?

Interesting they use it for 576, I pass that road and can hear the VHF quite clearly there.

I'm sure they have several groups assigned for the Pike, probably setup as such:
Dist 1 - 5
Mobiles
Ops
etc.

Last edited:

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

mlmummert, if your radio has it, switch to NFM and/or turn Audio Boost: On. You may be trying to listen to narrow FM with a wide FM setting. Otherwise, turn the volume up.

mlmummert

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

mlmummert, if your radio has it, switch to NFM and/or turn Audio Boost: On. You may be trying to listen to narrow FM with a wide FM setting. Otherwise, turn the volume up.

It is on NFM (PRO-106).

Status
Not open for further replies.