RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum

Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Pennsylvania.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 2:13 PM

Default PA Turnpike

Did the PA Turnpike move over to OpenSky?
Sponsored links

Old 10-22-2010, 3:45 PM

I'm still hearing district 4 which is the only one I get where I live. So at least not that one yet.
Old 10-22-2010, 4:35 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh08077 View Post
Did the PA Turnpike move over to OpenSky?
I don't think so. I'm sitting here listening to both 159.045 and .075. Both are very active in western part of the state
Old 10-22-2010, 7:16 PM

Smile

Thanks! I'm headed out to Indiana, PA tomorrow.
Old 10-24-2010, 7:14 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I was in Hershey a few weeks ago and 159.0750 was stillpretty active
kc2gik@justinmattes.com
Sponsored links
Old 11-06-2012, 5:35 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Just today I caught some traffic about "the 800 system" not transmitting as it should so they would have to use the current system . I wonder how far off the change over is?
Old 11-06-2012, 6:20 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

District 4 appears pretty active tonight on VHF, FYI
Old 11-06-2012, 6:32 PM
Pennsylvania DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by markandjere View Post
Just today I caught some traffic about "the 800 system" not transmitting as it should so they would have to use the current system . I wonder how far off the change over is?
Who was it that was talking?

PTC uses the 800 system for data to control highway signs and they have 30 or so mobile radios in use in turnpike admin vehicles. PSP, on the other hand, has OpenSky radios in all their cars. I have not paid much attention lately, but I thought I heard a trooper recently who sounded like he was talking on a patched radio (800 to VHF). No idea if they're going that route or not. Considering PSP is investing in new VHF equipment statewide, it seems unnecessary, so I was probably just hearing things.

PTC has a lot invested in their VHF system and they just narrowbanded the system this summer. Emergency services providers just had to buy new VHF Kenwood radios for the narrowbanding. Most of what I see on the road just has VHF antennas.

This radio maintenance contract RFP would indicate to me that the VHF is not going anywhere anytime soon:
http://www.paturnpike.com/OUTPUT/PDFs/RFPs/100514.pdf
Old 11-06-2012, 6:52 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

A reference was made to Everett . I only heard the last part of the conversation regarding the "800" system. Sounded like a Trooper to me but I have no way of knowing for sure. There was no mention of a Safety designator or service # (8XXX) .
Old 11-06-2012, 6:56 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

PTC has a lot invested in their VHF system and they just narrowbanded the system this summer. Emergency services providers just had to buy new VHF Kenwood radios for the narrowbanding. Most of what I see on the road just has VHF antennas.

I know ............Thats why I thought it was odd to hear the 800 reference.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Pennsylvania DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

From a 2009 document on the PTC web server:

The statewide Open-Sky 800 MHz radio system called PA StarNet is an IP based digital trunked two way radio system being utilized by the Commission for two way communications on the Finley Connector portion of the Mon Fayette Expressway. It is essentially VOIP technology. It interfaces to the Turnpike backbone at Beacon tower via an Open-Sky gateway. The five VHF radio districts also have an Open Sky gateway that can be used to communicate between both the Turnpike and PA StarNet systems. This capability can be utilized to facilitate a cutover to the Open Sky system if necessary.
Old 11-07-2012, 9:10 AM

Daily i hear all turnpike comms from 159.045 and the mobile to mobile 159.0000 everything from traffic stops to accident command comms
Old 12-01-2012, 10:33 AM

Well PSP-Embreeville and PSP-Avondale all have the new VHF system or old system back in the cars. Just look for the Dukes of Hazard VHF whip antenna on the trunk. Even the unmarked cars have them which kind of gives that away.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:19 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by benrussellpa View Post
Who was it that was talking?

PTC uses the 800 system for data to control highway signs and they have 30 or so mobile radios in use in turnpike admin vehicles. PSP, on the other hand, has OpenSky radios in all their cars. I have not paid much attention lately, but I thought I heard a trooper recently who sounded like he was talking on a patched radio (800 to VHF). No idea if they're going that route or not. Considering PSP is investing in new VHF equipment statewide, it seems unnecessary, so I was probably just hearing things.

This radio maintenance contract RFP would indicate to me that the VHF is not going anywhere anytime soon:
http://www.paturnpike.com/OUTPUT/PDFs/RFPs/100514.pdf
A lot of the patrols are getting the new Motorola radios. However, they sound like they've been digitized real badly.
Old 12-03-2012, 3:09 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

The signals don't seem to be as strong as they used to be . I can hear the nearby comms just fine most of the time but I use to be able to hear much more traffic and a much larger area.
Old 12-04-2012, 4:38 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The audio seems lower since they narrow banded.
Old 12-04-2012, 8:29 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by benrussellpa View Post
From a 2009 document on the PTC web server:

The statewide Open-Sky 800 MHz radio system called PA StarNet is an IP based digital trunked two way radio system being utilized by the Commission for two way communications on the Finley Connector portion of the Mon Fayette Expressway. It is essentially VOIP technology. It interfaces to the Turnpike backbone at Beacon tower via an Open-Sky gateway. The five VHF radio districts also have an Open Sky gateway that can be used to communicate between both the Turnpike and PA StarNet systems. This capability can be utilized to facilitate a cutover to the Open Sky system if necessary.
So are there Open Sky talk groups that correspond which each of the VHF channels?
Old 12-04-2012, 8:51 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmummert View Post
So are there Open Sky talk groups that correspond which each of the VHF channels?
Interesting they use it for 576, I pass that road and can hear the VHF quite clearly there.

I'm sure they have several groups assigned for the Pike, probably setup as such:
Dist 1 - 5
Mobiles
Ops
etc.

Last edited by kirkwoodcr; 12-04-2012 at 9:15 AM.. Reason: More info
Old 12-05-2012, 5:26 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

mlmummert, if your radio has it, switch to NFM and/or turn Audio Boost: On. You may be trying to listen to narrow FM with a wide FM setting. Otherwise, turn the volume up.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:56 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB7MIB View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

mlmummert, if your radio has it, switch to NFM and/or turn Audio Boost: On. You may be trying to listen to narrow FM with a wide FM setting. Otherwise, turn the volume up.
It is on NFM (PRO-106).