RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum

Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Pennsylvania.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 8:29 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default chauffeur6

@chauffeur6

Thanks for posting that info. . . . It has been a really long week for me. . . . Main line duties have me in the middle of a large radio system upgrade at work (about 3 1/2 months in on a 18-24 month project). . . . I had that info on the screen and forgot to c/p the links in to it. . . .
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2013, 8:47 PM
Pennsylvania DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Ha. I feel stupid now....completely forgot about the state licenses at 700. I lost my flash drive full of all my accumulated STARNET and related radio info back in the fall. Kinda like I lost a whole radio library. I still find myself struggling to re-compile all that information, at least that part of it available online somewhere. Some stuff was duplicated on home or work computers, but some of it seems gone forever unless I can find this silly drive.
Old 03-16-2013, 8:20 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I saw the two letters from the PSP to the FCC posted by Chauffeur6. I assume that this is a complete listing of the VHF frequencies being used by the PSP in the various indicated counties? I ask because I did not see not Perry County listed among them and we have a barracks here (PSP Newport).

After seeing those letters yesterday, I decided to program in some of my old Harrisburg (Dauphin County) PSP frequencies in my portable (155.670 base and 155.910 mobiles). I did hear a transmission on the base frequency talking about responding to an EMS call of a deceased person. I don't recall hearing anything on the mobile side. In fact, I don't see even see 155.910 as being used in Dauphin County anymore. The PSP letter to the FCC shows 155.445 and 155.670.

At home, I plugged in the frequency I found online for PSP Newport barracks (155.445). This morning, I heard a female dispatcher tell "Newport 2" that she heard them loud and clear. I did not hear the mobile end and thought maybe I was missing that frequency? I have also heard transmissions here at home on 155.670 and 154.755 (mobile to mobile?). However, the latter was "Harrisburg" talking to a mobile unit.

Just trying to wrap my head around which barracks are using which frequencies and why Perry is not listed.

My Scanners: Uniden HP-1, Uniden Bearcat BC125AT and Uniden Bearcat BC355N
Old 03-16-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg1969 View Post
I saw the two letters from the PSP to the FCC posted by Chauffeur6. I assume that this is a complete listing of the VHF frequencies being used by the PSP in the various indicated counties? I ask because I did not see not Perry County listed among them and we have a barracks here (PSP Newport).
It's a list of the VHF base stations the PSP plans to replace this year. Some VHF base stations have already been replaced and wouldn't need to be listed on a Request for Extension to the FCC. It is not necessarily a complete listing of all VHF base stations used by the PSP across the entire state.

Quote:
After seeing those letters yesterday, I decided to program in some of my old Harrisburg (Dauphin County) PSP frequencies in my portable (155.670 base and 155.910 mobiles). I did hear a transmission on the base frequency talking about responding to an EMS call of a deceased person. I don't recall hearing anything on the mobile side. In fact, I don't see even see 155.910 as being used in Dauphin County anymore. The PSP letter to the FCC shows 155.445 and 155.670.
You're not going to hear mobile units unless they are nearby. They put out less power than a base station, and unlike a base station which is located at a fixed point that is usually at a decent elevation, the mobiles are roaming around all sorts of terrain, including low laying areas.

You're not going to see the mobile frequencies listed in those Request for Extension because that wasn't the purpose of those lists. As previously stated, they are lists of the base stations (and thus base frequencies only) that are planned to have their hardware replaced this year.

Quote:
At home, I plugged in the frequency I found online for PSP Newport barracks (155.445). This morning, I heard a female dispatcher tell "Newport 2" that she heard them loud and clear. I did not hear the mobile end and thought maybe I was missing that frequency? I have also heard transmissions here at home on 155.670 and 154.755 (mobile to mobile?). However, the latter was "Harrisburg" talking to a mobile unit.

Just trying to wrap my head around which barracks are using which frequencies and why Perry is not listed.
Same answers as above.

This is the list of what VHF frequencies the PSP uses:

Pennsylvania State Police Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Along with the VHF channel assignments per Troop/Barracks:

PSP Troop VHF Channel Assignments - The RadioReference Wiki

Don't read too much into those Requests for Extensions, or make assumptions based on what you see there. They have a specific purpose as relates to licensing matter with the FCC, and are not intended to be a complete guide to the PSP VHF frequencies.
Old 03-16-2013, 8:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks for clarifying. I programmed in some of the frequencies just to see what I might pick up from time to time.

Sponsored links

Old 03-16-2013, 10:20 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I will sniff around and see if i can locate the site near irwin.
Old 03-19-2013, 7:57 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Looks like PSP is also putting some new cars on the street. Looks pretty sharp, even with the bland-tacular markings...
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2013, 8:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Was that a Philly car?
Old 03-19-2013, 8:57 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

No sir, that is a Pennsylvania State Trooper sitting in the median on I-95 near the Philly line.
Old 03-20-2013, 2:17 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydjdan View Post
Looks like PSP is also putting some new cars on the street. Looks pretty sharp, even with the bland-tacular markings...

PHOTOS: Pennsylvania State Police Unveil New Look On The Roads

Quote:
PHILADELPHIA -
Pennsylvania State Police will have a slightly different look when out on the roads.

On Monday, troopers showed off the new Ford Police Interceptor, the department's new fleet vehicle.

Troopers say the new Fords will replace the Crown Victorias, as they go out of service.

You can take a look at the new fleet vehicle in the slideshow above.
Old 03-20-2013, 7:07 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I think he meant was that a PSP (Philly area) car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydjdan View Post
No sir, that is a Pennsylvania State Trooper sitting in the median on I-95 near the Philly line.

Old 03-20-2013, 7:09 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Ah, well in that case it appeared to be a Trevose barracks car.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yes, I meant Philly (K1) Barracks. Was wondering who had the new cars was all.
Old 04-16-2013, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talviar View Post
Already several sites in the state on 700 Mhz with P25 trunking supposedly for communication with the State Police Helo's . . . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by talviar View Post
Southwestern Corner of the state. . . . look for 773.06875 MHz
as a P25 control channel . . . . .
Looks like one of them in the Pittsburgh area has been identified:

http://forums.radioreference.com/pen...ittsburgh.html

P25 System 002 (Pittsburgh Area) Trunking System, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - Scanner Frequencies
Old 05-20-2013, 5:54 PM

I had the oppurtunity to meet with the chief of site development and maintenance for PSP today. After discussing a number of agenda items in regards to tower sites in Montgomery Co, I received the latest information in regards to OpenSky, PSP, VHF etc. As we know these types of systems and their design change over time but as of today here is the latest.

-A 10 site 700Mhz system was specially built for aviation use throughout the state. They are currently getting 99.5% coverage in the entire state from aircraft at a flight level of 100ft or greater. The OpenSky system does not like when subscriber units affiliate with multiple tower sites. To get around this problem the 700MHz system was built.

-PSP is moving forward with the buildout of a VHF system. In most parts of the state it will be a FB or simplex operation. In the Northern part of the state it will be a VHF trunked system. Some sites in the state will be a FB2 or repeater operation.

-Plans are being prepared and a presentation is being formed to present to the legislature for more money. The additional funds are being targeted to decommission the OpenSky system and migrate to a P25 Phase 2 platform. All radios being purchased from Harris have to be OpenSky and P25 capable. The older radios in the fleet, which are OpenSky only, are already being replaced once their life expectancy is over with the P25 capable gear.

-In many parts of the state "hard" patches have been established to allow county level systems access into the OpenSky system. Similar "hard" patches are being planned for the new Berks, Chester and Montgomery systems.

JJ
Sponsored links
Old 05-20-2013, 6:06 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimenez01 View Post

<<<<<<<<<<snipped>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

-Plans are being prepared and a presentation is being formed to present to the legislature for more money. The additional funds are being targeted to decommission the OpenSky system and migrate to a P25 Phase 2 platform. All radios being purchased from Harris have to be OpenSky and P25 capable. The older radios in the fleet, which are OpenSky only, are already being replaced once their life expectancy is over with the P25 capable gear.

<<<<<<<<<< snipped>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

JJ
Does this affect only PSP, or all agencies that are using it, such as PEMA and DCNR ? Anytime frame mentioned ?
Old 05-20-2013, 6:17 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Jim,

GREAT info, thank you for sharing!
Old 05-20-2013, 6:27 PM

druhe,
Yes all agencies using the OpenSky system will have to migrate over to the new system. There was no time frame given but was referenced as a long term project. I would guess 3-5 years.

JJ

Last edited by jjimenez01; 05-20-2013 at 6:30 PM..
Old 05-20-2013, 7:17 PM

Maybe we'll be able to hear PSP transmissions once again like it use to be!
Old 06-30-2013, 10:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Have been hearing the Blooming Grove Barracks (Pike Co.) on Ch A 155.580 at least daily of late. Not a lot of activity, but activity nonetheless. Anyone else hearing an uptick of PSP activity on VHF?

Tags