RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum

Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Pennsylvania.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #301 (permalink)  
Old 11-08-2013, 5:13 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 722
Default

Lancaster County, PA is ditching their OpenSky system as well, if they haven't done so already. Sorry, but the masses have spoken, and OpenSky is junk.
__________________
One step from "Banned For The Greater Good" lol

Last edited by phillydjdan; 11-08-2013 at 5:13 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
        
  #302 (permalink)  
Old 11-08-2013, 6:46 PM
k3cfc's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beavertown Pa.
Posts: 661
Default Open sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydjdan View Post
Lancaster County, PA is ditching their OpenSky system as well, if they haven't done so already. Sorry, but the masses have spoken, and OpenSky is junk.
I agree with ya but after how many millions of tax dollars?

K3CFC
__________________
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am.
My attitude depends on who you are.
Reply With Quote
  #303 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2013, 10:47 AM
rgchristy's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Delco, PA
Posts: 238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Air View Post
I don't think it's a good idea to have amateurs looking for BOL vehicles or persons.
No argument here. You're absolutely correct, which is why I used the example that I did.

"And when the robbery call goes out with partial tag information, and a "foamer" just happens to be riding by at the time, sees that vehicle in question, records the tag number and calls it into 911."

Stay Safe,

Rich C
Reply With Quote
  #304 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2013, 6:59 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3cfc View Post
I agree with ya but after how many millions of tax dollars?

K3CFC
I'm right there with ya, pal! I wish I had that kind of money to flush down the toilet...
__________________
One step from "Banned For The Greater Good" lol
Reply With Quote
  #305 (permalink)  
Old 11-10-2013, 3:39 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Crawford County PA
Posts: 23
Default What I find so silly

The DCNR folks last year decided the OPEN SKY reliability issues were significant enough to warrant building a separate VHF-system.
The PSP folks have also decide the OPEN SKY was not the confidence builder that it was conceived to be. They began to build PLAN B, a VHF system.
Meanwhile, the DCNR STATE PARK folks have moved or are attempting to move to Open Sky.
Fish/Boat and Game Comm. people are also moving onto open Sky now (from previous reports).
If Open Sky has reliability issues that cause PSP to decide they need PLAN B, why are other state users moving onto a something that has questions?
Why are valuable scarce funds being used on something that may not work?
Are other state agencies still buying Open Sky equipment?
If so, who is approving these buys, given the current view (per PSP) of the Open Sky reliability?
Add to this that new view that Open Sky was a mistake, but 700 P25 is what they need; why is any state user still considering buying into the Open Sky system?
On, a side note: If First Energy is now building their own radio system in various parts of the state, does that mean their use of Open Sky days is on the decline? If so, why?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #306 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Ray_Air's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 762
Default

Have any of you guys ever used OpenSky? Or do you just hate it because you can't monitor it?

I use it. I'm sorry to inform that - it works and sounds pretty good.

I think PA has coverage issues. It's not the technology. When it was M/A-Com, we had issues, but Harris engineers really improved it.


As a hobbyist however, I do miss listening to police and fire. They're all on OpenSky and we are not issued portables to take home. But I understand that I'm not entitled to be able to monitor all public safety systems and unfortunately the nature of the newer ( and future) digital systems ( proprietary and/or encrypted) are not scanner comparable. So we can kind of see what the future hold for hobbyists.
Reply With Quote
  #307 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2013, 12:01 PM
xxdanielt3's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: mountains of PA
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekim223 View Post
The DCNR folks last year decided the OPEN SKY reliability issues were significant enough to warrant building a separate VHF-system.
The PSP folks have also decide the OPEN SKY was not the confidence builder that it was conceived to be. They began to build PLAN B, a VHF system.
Meanwhile, the DCNR STATE PARK folks have moved or are attempting to move to Open Sky.
Fish/Boat and Game Comm. people are also moving onto open Sky now (from previous reports).
If Open Sky has reliability issues that cause PSP to decide they need PLAN B, why are other state users moving onto a something that has questions?
Why are valuable scarce funds being used on something that may not work?
Are other state agencies still buying Open Sky equipment?
If so, who is approving these buys, given the current view (per PSP) of the Open Sky reliability?
Add to this that new view that Open Sky was a mistake, but 700 P25 is what they need; why is any state user still considering buying into the Open Sky system?
On, a side note: If First Energy is now building their own radio system in various parts of the state, does that mean their use of Open Sky days is on the decline? If so, why?
If PSP doesn't like and isn't comfortable with it, would you rather have them, an emergency providing service, stay on that system? DCNR doesn't exactly run into the same situations that PSP does. Just something to look at.
__________________
KC3ATT
Radio Shack Pro-164 - Uniden BC95XLT - Motorola Minitor I, II, III, IV and (2)V - Baofeng UV5R - Yaesu FT60R - Motorola Spectra
Reply With Quote
  #308 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2013, 2:10 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 722
Default

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.0.4; LG-MS870 Build/IMM76L) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

DCNR around my way essentially do the same exact thing as PSP, just on state park property.

And yes, you may think your opensky system is the bees knees... until you have to talk to an outside agency. So much for interopability...
__________________
One step from "Banned For The Greater Good" lol
Reply With Quote
  #309 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2013, 4:03 PM
DisasterGuy's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Maryland Shore
Posts: 373
Default PA State Police Struggle with OpenSky Issues

I would venture to say that shifting to Phase II P25 tomorrow on the same towers and same frequencies would produce the exact same result and coverage.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #310 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2013, 5:01 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Juneau, AK
Posts: 30
Default ALMR APCO-25

I don't what happened with Open Sky, but I'm picking up radio transmissions from hundreds of miles away living in Alaska.

Before you decide I'm coming off like a pompous ***, please regard the fact I didn't design or implement the system. I had nothing to do with it. It just seems to work and this technology is utterly mind blowing and remarkable.

I'm living in Juneau and can hear public works and other agencies in Ketchikan, Sitka, Fairbanks, Anchorage and others.

There is lots of encryption on the AST and local law enforcement frequencies, but lots in the clear.

It's pretty cool, thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote
  #311 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2013, 6:08 PM
dlnorth's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 68
Default

I can try to answer some of your questions:

From day one, the new DCNR radio system was designed to be a hybrid radio system, operating on both 800 and VHF. They did not try 800, find out that it did not work, and then go to VHF as a Plan B, as PSP did. State parks have all moved to the OpenSky system. Most are VHF/800 hybrids, but some only use 800.

PSP has already spent at least $11 million on their VHF backup system. Not everyone has the juice that PSP has. The political support required for an agency to spend $11 million on a backup system is quite substantial, especially in this economic climate, and few agencies, outside of PSP, are going to be able to do that when additional money is still being dumped into making improvements to the OpenSky system.

PSP has been using OpenSky for years. There are other state agencies who have still not completed their initial OpenSky rollout. If PSP completely abandons OpenSky for voice comms, some state agencies will probably just be completing their initial rollout at that time. That is just the nature of state government.

DCNR does the same job and has many of the law enforcement responsibilities that PSP has, but they only have jurisdiction on state forest and state park property. They are not PSP and don't have anywhere near the political clout that PSP has.

One reason for agencies to continue signing on with OpenSky is that, even in spite of all of the issues, it may still work better than what they had before. It may also provide the agency with the ability to communicate with other state agencies who have already migrated to OpenSky. OpenSky also enables agencies to talk to PSAP's via PEMA talkgroups. Some PSAP's have completely abandoned low band, which causes problems for Fish Commission and Game Commission units. The fish cops in my area just got 800 MHz Opensky radios, and they now have comms with my county's PSAP. For the past few years, they have had no ability to communicate with any law enforcement agencies in the county or the 911 center, because they were on low band and everyone else was on 800. There could be other reasons, but those are just a few that immediately come to mind.

Yes, other state agencies are still buying OpenSky equipment. Without another system in place, there would be no reason to buy any other equipment. The state provides the infrastructure and the agencies have to buy the subscriber equipment. It's not like the agencies really have much of a choice regarding which system they want to use. If given an option, I'm sure many agencies would not use the system, but they just don't have that option.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ekim223 View Post
The DCNR folks last year decided the OPEN SKY reliability issues were significant enough to warrant building a separate VHF-system.
The PSP folks have also decide the OPEN SKY was not the confidence builder that it was conceived to be. They began to build PLAN B, a VHF system.
Meanwhile, the DCNR STATE PARK folks have moved or are attempting to move to Open Sky.
Fish/Boat and Game Comm. people are also moving onto open Sky now (from previous reports).
If Open Sky has reliability issues that cause PSP to decide they need PLAN B, why are other state users moving onto a something that has questions?
Why are valuable scarce funds being used on something that may not work?
Are other state agencies still buying Open Sky equipment?
If so, who is approving these buys, given the current view (per PSP) of the Open Sky reliability?
Add to this that new view that Open Sky was a mistake, but 700 P25 is what they need; why is any state user still considering buying into the Open Sky system?
On, a side note: If First Energy is now building their own radio system in various parts of the state, does that mean their use of Open Sky days is on the decline? If so, why?
Reply With Quote
  #312 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2013, 6:17 PM
dlnorth's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 68
Default

I have used it since about 2007, and the voice quality is the about the worst that I have ever heard on a radio system. It has gotten better over the years, but it used to sound like the teacher from Charlie Brown and now only sounds marginally better.

I also have problems with only being able to reliably scan 2 talkgroups at a time. That presents a problem when you have an agency talkgroup, a regional talkgroup, and three county PSAP talkgroups that need to be monitored using a single radio.

The fact that I can't monitor it doesn't bother me, as I feel that not all government communications should be monitored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Air View Post
Have any of you guys ever used OpenSky? Or do you just hate it because you can't monitor it?

I use it. I'm sorry to inform that - it works and sounds pretty good.

I think PA has coverage issues. It's not the technology. When it was M/A-Com, we had issues, but Harris engineers really improved it.


As a hobbyist however, I do miss listening to police and fire. They're all on OpenSky and we are not issued portables to take home. But I understand that I'm not entitled to be able to monitor all public safety systems and unfortunately the nature of the newer ( and future) digital systems ( proprietary and/or encrypted) are not scanner comparable. So we can kind of see what the future hold for hobbyists.
Reply With Quote
  #313 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2013, 7:01 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterGuy View Post
I would venture to say that shifting to Phase II P25 tomorrow on the same towers and same frequencies would produce the exact same result and coverage.
Tomorrow, yes, for some. In the Philly area, the City of Philadelphia already has P25 radios capable of 700 MHz Phase 2, programming the state P25 system wouldn't be a problem. Bucks County has the licenses and is installing a 700 P25 Phase 2 system as we speak, which will then have the ablility to program the state P25 system as well. Montgomery County is also ironing out the details to upgrade their 800MHz system to P25 Phase 2. Almost everyone in the Philly region is going to 700 or 800 MHz P25, and it's all for what? Interopability!

I also read somewhere that those Opensky bricks have to be turned off and back on just to switch to a simplex conventional channel. So any firefighters using them has to power it off and back on just to switch to a fireground channel. Seems like flipping a zone toggle switch and twisting a knob to select a channel would be a lot quicker. No thanks, I'll stick with the better performing, better designed, tougher constructed big M radios. Heck, I'd even go with Kenwood radios before I chose Harris. They're like the ugly cousin of the radio family.
__________________
One step from "Banned For The Greater Good" lol
Reply With Quote
  #314 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2013, 9:56 PM
benrussellpa's Avatar
Pennsylvania DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: metro Philly
Posts: 1,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydjdan View Post

I also read somewhere that those Opensky bricks have to be turned off and back on just to switch to a simplex conventional channel. So any firefighters using them has to power it off and back on just to switch to a fireground channel. Seems like flipping a zone toggle switch and twisting a knob to select a channel would be a lot quicker. No thanks, I'll stick with the better performing, better designed, tougher constructed big M radios. Heck, I'd even go with Kenwood radios before I chose Harris. They're like the ugly cousin of the radio family.

To go from OpenSky network to conventional, you need to enter the menu on the radio, choose the conventional mode, then the radio will reboot into conventional mode. Same thing to get back on the network. I use radios on both a Motorola TRS and an EFJ Multinet TRS and they are both much easier...nothing more complicated than turning the selector knob or maing a few quick button pushes depending on how the channel layout is set up in those radios.

What I do not know is whether or not the OpenSky equipment could be programmed to have talkgroups and conventional channels in the same profile. I don't think it can, but can't say that with total certainty.
Reply With Quote
  #315 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2013, 2:22 AM
Ray_Air's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydjdan View Post
Tomorrow, yes, for some. In the Philly area, the City of Philadelphia already has P25 radios capable of 700 MHz Phase 2, programming the state P25 system wouldn't be a problem. Bucks County has the licenses and is installing a 700 P25 Phase 2 system as we speak, which will then have the ablility to program the state P25 system as well. Montgomery County is also ironing out the details to upgrade their 800MHz system to P25 Phase 2. Almost everyone in the Philly region is going to 700 or 800 MHz P25, and it's all for what? Interopability!

I also read somewhere that those Opensky bricks have to be turned off and back on just to switch to a simplex conventional channel. So any firefighters using them has to power it off and back on just to switch to a fireground channel. Seems like flipping a zone toggle switch and twisting a knob to select a channel would be a lot quicker. No thanks, I'll stick with the better performing, better designed, tougher constructed big M radios. Heck, I'd even go with Kenwood radios before I chose Harris. They're like the ugly cousin of the radio family.
I don't know how they set up your radios but ours have 16TGs in a profile, however when I put it on scan it scans more TGs than are in the profile. I know we have only one scan option but one of the radio techs changes the scan profile because sometimes I'll be receiving agencies that I didn't receive before. Not sure if scan options are user defined or admin level.

I only use scan if its quiet out. If any surrounding agencies have a BOL they want to share it will automatically receive it on ALLDISPATCH. While in scan, if there's traffic on our channel, the radio will beep and immediately go to our channels.

As far as interop we have a direct channel to the statewide P25 sys. Interop in county is done by using countywide ops channels.

Do you guys ever use the 700MHz simplex mode ( analog) on the radios?
What update version of OTP are you guys using?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #316 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2013, 2:28 AM
Ray_Air's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benrussellpa View Post
To go from OpenSky network to conventional, you need to enter the menu on the radio, choose the conventional mode, then the radio will reboot into conventional mode. Same thing to get back on the network. I use radios on both a Motorola TRS and an EFJ Multinet TRS and they are both much easier...nothing more complicated than turning the selector knob or maing a few quick button pushes depending on how the channel layout is set up in those radios.

What I do not know is whether or not the OpenSky equipment could be programmed to have talkgroups and conventional channels in the same profile. I don't think it can, but can't say that with total certainty.
P7200, up or down arrow till you get to ProfileMenu, side option button to select desired profile, press M to save and reboot. Pretty easy.

If you select 700 mode, you have to enable TalkAround ( top side option button).

M7200, use scroll control button to go to desired menu, use ramp up/down button to find option you want in menu, press Menu to save.

Scene of Incident Mode and ICALL are a little more complicated as you need to enter predetermined numbers.
But I've never had to use either.

Also, conventional channels cannot be programmed in OpenSky mode. The radios have 3 modes: OTP ( OpenSky Trunked), ECP ( EDACS/Conventional/P25 and 700 ( 700MHz conventional analog). Modes cannot be intermixed.
We do have direct patch channels in OTP mode ( ex- OpenSky patched to a P25 system)

Last edited by Ray_Air; 11-12-2013 at 2:58 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #317 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2014, 4:36 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 27
Default

The following is an excerpt from the minutes of the last radio committee meeting back in early December.

7. PA-STARNet P25 Upgrade Proposals
In a closed commonwealth-only session, Robert Barnham, Chief, Radio Applications and Networks, STARNet Division, outlined the background,

technical tradeoffs, process, and status of the transition of PA-STARNet from Harris Corporation’s OpenSkyŽ technology to the APCO P25 standard.
In October, both Harris Corporation and Motorola delivered proposals for the transition in response to the department’s Request for Quotation

(RFQ). PSP has been analyzing and evaluating the proposals. The two vendors will offer briefings explaining their proposals to the Public Safety

Communications Council and an executive-level audience of agency managers on Friday, December 6.
Mr. Barnham assured the audience that any firm decision to migrate to the P25 technology will be carried out during a transition period with

both OpenSkyŽ and P25 running in parallel. He drew an analogy with Sprint’s phasing out the iDEN technology after acquiring Nextel.
Lt. Manetta commented that OpenSky’s limitation of radio personalities to 16 talk groups in 16 profiles has caused problems for PSP in

accommodating the many law enforcement agencies and 911 centers with which it communicates.
Jeffrey Toth of the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA) observed that users typically have a difficult time remembering how to

navigate from one talk group profile to another.
David Forster of the STARNet Division, PSP, acknowledging the intention to purchase P25-standard radios competitively, asked about the impact of

the use of radios from multiple vendors on over-the-air programming. Mr. Barnham stated that RFQ requirements included demonstrating the ability

to work with radios from other vendors.
Mr. Kosalko asked if there were plans for a radio laboratory to demonstrate and experiment with P25 radios. Mr. Barnham responded that PSP will

have OpenSkyŽ, P25 Phase 1, and P25 Phase 2 equipment set up for that purpose.
Jesse Geiman of the Department of Corrections expressed the concern that competitive procurement of P25 subscriber equipment could lead to mixing

of incompatible features and functions with radios from different vendors on the network. He also said that buying radios through a competitive

procurement process can result in low-quality equipment being offered to agencies. Mr. Kuller assured the group that PSP will protect the user

community by setting and enforcing equipment acceptance standards.
Jim Kleeman of DCNR asked about what happens to agencies that prefer to continue using OpenSkyŽ. Mr. Kuller said that PSP will work with

agencies that have specific requirements.
Kevin Campbell of PEMA asked about support for P25 Inter-Subsystem Interface (ISSI), an open standard interface allowing interconnection of

radio systems that use different technologies. Mr. Barnham answered that the P25 technology proposed by both Harris Corporation and Motorola

includes ISSI support.Mr. Kosalko asked about support for cross-band scanning, and Mr. Barnham responded that cross-band scanning is supported

with multiband radios.After Mr. Barnham stated that vendors are required to guarantee a specified level of mobile radio coverage, Mr. Toth asked

whether portable radio coverage might be less than the OpenSkyŽ P7200 radios offer now. Mr. Barnham replied that direct portable radio coverage

could be reduced with a P25 system, but a vehicular repeater will be available, compatible with the P7200 radios. The mobile repeater is similar

in design to the OpenSkyŽ Vehicular Tactical Network (V-TAC). Existing in-building coverage will be maintained, for instance, in casinos and

around the Capitol Complex in Harrisburg.
Mr. Kuller said the STARNet Division would request further analysis of portable radio coverage with P25 by the two vendors. Mr. Barnham added

that the P25 RFQ does require vendors to provide predicted portable radio coverage. Mr. Kosalko said that OAG has been happy with its P7200

radios, and that he shares Mr. Toth’s concerns. On behalf of his agency, Steven Shaver of PEMA agreed with Mr. Kosalko’s comments.
Mr. Kosalko inquired about the availability of encrypted voice communications with P25. Mr. Barnham said that fixed, rolling-key encryption is

available, and its use is an agency decision.
Mr. Kosalko asked whether FirstEnergy Corporation, a PA-STARNet business partner, is expected to continue using the statewide system if it moves

from OpenSkyŽ to P25. Mr. Barnham explained the importance of the partnership with FirstEnergy, which contributed 44 Specialized Mobile Radio

(SMR) channels under a waiver issued by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to allow their use in a public safety radio system. In

addition, West Penn Power, recently acquired by FirstEnergy, holds valuable licenses to a number of VHF channels. Mr. Barnham is drafting a

letter to FirstEnergy explaining PSP’s direction with PA-STARNet to help them make informed decisions about their participation.
Mr. Toth asked about the future of the 700 MHz air-to-ground overlay network for aviation communications. Mr. Barnham stated that the P25

proposals from both vendors include recommendations to leave the air-to-ground network intact, integrating with other subsystems using ISSI if

necessary. Mr. Barnham also remarked that the FCC requires the state to file a report on use of its 700 MHz spectrum for assessment against its

standards for primary use. Aviation is not considered a primary use.
Mr. Kuller closed the discussion of P25 transition with comments on agency subscriber equipment purchase. The commonwealth faces procurements

totaling roughly $40 million, whether it replaces existing its aging inventory of OpenSkyŽ radios with current-generation OpenSkyŽ radios, or

instead purchases new P25 equipment as PSP has proposed and as it is now exploring through analysis and discussion of the vendor proposals.
Mr. Kosalko asked whether continuing to use the P7200 portable radios as they near the end of their life cycle would still be possible in the

event that the commonwealth adopts Motorola’s P25 technology. Mr. Barnham responded affirmatively, and commented that being able to continue

using the existing inventory of P7200 radios with the new P25 technology is advantageous to the commonwealth.
Mr. Kuller speculated that if there is a decision to adopt P25, the OpenSkyŽ system would operate for at least two or three years after the

introduction of P25 technology.

The entire minutes can be found here...
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...%20Minutes.pdf

Interesting, you can read between the lines and see the openscam fanboys. Discouraging to see that they are asking about encryption, I was hoping maybe to hear PSP comms once again, but alas looks grim.
Reply With Quote
  #318 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2014, 5:03 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 722
Default

It says that encryption will be up to the individual agencies to choose. All this talk of interopability, I think what we'll end up seeing is (for PSP anyway) partial use of it on a certain few channels. I highly doubt they will implement it system-wide. I mean, why would the PSP guy talk all this crap about OpenSky not being interopable and then go and encrypt everything on the new P25 system. That would make no sense. Then again, it seems nothing the government does in regard to radio systems makes any sense...
__________________
One step from "Banned For The Greater Good" lol
Reply With Quote
  #319 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2014, 5:28 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydjdan View Post
It says that encryption will be up to the individual agencies to choose. All this talk of interopability, I think what we'll end up seeing is (for PSP anyway) partial use of it on a certain few channels. I highly doubt they will implement it system-wide. I mean, why would the PSP guy talk all this crap about OpenSky not being interopable and then go and encrypt everything on the new P25 system. That would make no sense. Then again, it seems nothing the government does in regard to radio systems makes any sense...
I hope you are correct Dan. The guy bringing up encryption is from the attorney generals office, so I can see his concern. As far as interop, would not any agency that is set up for interop be given the proper key? I think they were mostly upset about the proprietary nature of openscam, and the fact that harris could (and do) charge outrageous amounts for equipment.
Reply With Quote
  #320 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2014, 5:45 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 722
Default

I hope so too! My prediction is that AG comms will be encrypted (understandably), PSP will have a few encrypted channels on an as-needed basis (in my local area Bucks County has adopted this plan for their new system being built), and some other agencies (perhaps the parole board and corrections) may also use some encryption. I don't predict DNR would if they migrated. It just doesn't seem from what I've read, heard, and saw in the youtube video, that PSP wants to make everything a big secret and have now adopted the idea of interopability. And as for the encryption keys, I doubt they would give those out to outside agencies for security reasons. There would be so many outside agencies in play that trying to keep the keys a secret would be nearly impossible. It would be far easier and cheaper to setup a small set of encrypted channels for only certain agencies to have access to, and leave the outside radios without it. If memory serves me correctly, adding encryption to a radio is about another $1,000 EACH.
__________________
One step from "Banned For The Greater Good" lol
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sticky

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions