RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum

Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Pennsylvania.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 12:28 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The Express Times is doing an article on this. It will be out either later today or tomorrow. I had the opportunity to be interviewed and to state the case why they should not be encrypting day to day radio traffic. I will post the links when it comes out.
@kc2kzz - My Twitter feed. @WCAlerts - Warren County Fire/EMS alerts
Sponsored links

Old 08-06-2012, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosoup4u View Post
Just Police. The existing VHF patches are going to be renamed Interop 1 & 2.
Do you know if they are encrypting the current EDACS system or going to a provoice digital system. I am hearing conflicting information about it. What patches are you referring to. Ones on the current EDACS system? I see they encrypted the two vice talk groups and another police ops one that I never knew they even had.
www.kernsnewsservice.com
Old 08-06-2012, 4:58 PM

Allentown Police Department switches to encrypted radios; communications will not be publicly accessible | lehighvalleylive.com
www.kernsnewsservice.com
Old 08-06-2012, 5:48 PM

And a quote from the article

Quote:
City officials say the change was made to increase officer safety and enhance operational security, particularly by preventing criminals from listening to radio traffic on commercially available scanners and smartphone apps.
Yep, streaming has nothing to do with encryption.
Old 08-06-2012, 8:03 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Good catch... I agree that quote makes it obvious streaming wasn't the issue. Scanner listeners have obviously been causing problems there, and this is the result.
Sponsored links
Old 08-07-2012, 1:09 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

As I've said previously crime is skyrocketing in that area and all over in NEPa. But not once in my life do I ever recall hearing that the criminals had scanners or were listening to a smartphone app while committing their crimes. Did it happen and wasn't mentioned? Maybe. Did they do it without getting caught doing it? Possibly. Most criminals aren't that bright to do something like that. To me the rationale they're using to go to encryption is a joke. Why not just come out and say "The technology is available for us to do it so we went and did it so to everyone that wanted to listen, bite us".

210XLT, 120XLT, BCT2, Pro-90, Pro-2048, Pro-94, BCT15X, PSR-800,BCD396XT,BCD996XT
Old 08-07-2012, 3:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

And encryption has nothing to do with streaming and this is not a joke it really does not if you want to think that great that is your opinion.If the agency or agencies want to encrypt so be it that is their choice right?This conversation has been going on for years before the internet was even around and we had to talk by phone or mail.Hold on a sec i got to lock my phone on a talkgroup so i know what is going down.Oh wait i cant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyC View Post
And a quote from the article

Yep, streaming has nothing to do with encryption.

Last edited by mule1075; 08-07-2012 at 4:13 PM.. Reason: Poor Spelling
Old 08-07-2012, 4:46 PM

I personally feel that primary dispatch channels should be unencrypted. If the officers feel the need to switch to a secure / encrypted means of communication for an incident then they should have the option to switch communications to an encrypted tac channel. Keeping the regular dispatch channel unencrypted allows the public to know where the police are going, what kind of calls they are responding to, etc. It is also useful when mobile as it gives us (the public) a heads up on accidents, chases, and other incidents. I know whenever I'm out and about and hear a call go out that is near to my location, I keep a look out and try to avoid any trouble spots if I know something is going on. I'm also ready to call in or flag down an officer and pass along any relevant information to a call they are on. Encrypted dispatch is only going to hurt the relationship between the public and the police.
Victory5318@gmail.com
Old 08-07-2012, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule1075 View Post
And encryption has nothing to do with streaming and this is not a joke it really does not if you want to think that great that is your opinion.If the agency or agencies want to encrypt so be it that is their choice right?This conversation has been going on for years before the internet was even around and we had to talk by phone or mail.Hold on a sec i got to lock my phone on a talkgroup so i know what is going down.Oh wait i cant.
If you bothered to read the article you would see these are not MY words. Yes, it is my opinion (and many others) that streaming contributes to encryption. No it is not the only reason. Why is it difficult for some people to add two and two together?
Sponsored links
Old 08-08-2012, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosoup4u View Post
Just Police. The existing VHF patches are going to be renamed Interop 1 & 2.
Where are these VHF patches? I can't seem to find them in the database.
Old 08-08-2012, 5:38 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I just realized these weren't in the database. I just submitted them.

158.790 186.2 Interop 1 (Used to be Police Dispatch Trunk Simulcast)
159.090 186.2 Interop 2 (Used to be Police SCOPE Trunk Simulcast)
155.040 186.2 EMS (EMS Dispatch Trunk Simulcast)
Old 08-09-2012, 5:10 AM

So what are these: 158.790 186.2 Interop 1 (Used to be Police Dispatch Trunk Simulcast)
159.090 186.2 Interop 2 (Used to be Police SCOPE Trunk Simulcast)

going to be used for now? Are they for other agencies to be able to communicate with allentown police if needed?

I agree that dispatch shouldnt be encrypted but I can understand them using encryption channels if needed. NYPD is the biggest police department in the country and they dont encrypt their channels.
www.kernsnewsservice.com
Old 08-11-2012, 8:45 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Those 2 VHF freqs have always been around and simulcasted APD Dispatch and Scope. That allowed the area PD's to talk to APD. Same goes with the EMS VHF patch, that is how Mutual Aid EMS calls into the Comm Center.

If you have a scanner that will show radio ID's, The ID for the EMS VHF Patch is 853, Police Patch ID's are 851, 852 and 854.
Old 08-11-2012, 4:20 PM

Ok, However we can not pick up any of the police talk group ids cause they went to a encrypted system. Even though some of the talk group ids are listed in the database as analog they are still not able to be picked up on the scanner.
www.kernsnewsservice.com
Old 08-15-2012, 12:52 AM

Allentown VICE has been using the system for some time now, since the system went on the air along with few other agencies like FEMA. Seen a picture of the protable radio being used but no mobile radios yet.
Sponsored links
Old 08-16-2012, 8:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default That is the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septa3371CSX1 View Post
Sounds like some officials in Allentown are concerned not so much that criminals have scanners but rather smart phones with streaming scanner apps. This is becoming a common trend in many places as agencies switch to digital encrypted systems thinking it will help keep criminals out of the loop. The problem is it doesn't really solve any problems other than the ability for criminals to listen in. This switch won't solve the crime problem in Allentown it will only serve as a way to keep town watches, freelance reporters, hobbyists, etc from being able to keep an ear on what is going on.

Anyone know where Allentown got the money to make this switch?
That is the point they don't want people to listen in.. It is easier to hide how bad it is when people don't know what is going on. Nothing to do with officer safety and everything to do with image.