Towers on I80 and I79

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSTOUFFER

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know what all the new antennas are for that they are mounting on phone poles along the interstate?

MSTOUFFER

Premium Subscriber
I will try to grab a pic. They are every ten miles out here in Venango County. They appear to have 3 microwave type antennas on them. I also have seen them on I79

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Without seeing them, it is hard to answer your question. They could be microcell fill in sites for the STARNet system. There are only 736 of them in service around the state.

kirkwoodcr

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know what all the new antennas are for that they are mounting on phone poles along the interstate?

If you're talking about the ones at the interchange, they're putting in cameras and weather stations.

The towers along I-80 are probably the Turnpike radio system...since the turnpike has to pay for I-80 now...

john_1234

Sorry, to open an old thread, but I have been seeing these as well. They aren’t always at an interchange, but seem to be every few miles in some places. I took a photo of one the other day. Any ideas?

Attachments

• ant.jpg
    ant.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,057

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
If you're talking about the ones at the interchange, they're putting in cameras and weather stations.

The towers along I-80 are probably the Turnpike radio system...since the turnpike has to pay for I-80 now...

I don't know if you're trying to be funny with the turnpike comment, but no, they are not installing the turnpike radio system along I-80.

Anyway, some other ideas....

To see where the cameras are along I-79, you can go here:
511PA - Travel Info To Go

or here:
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Penndot/Districts/district11.nsf/Web Cameras?OpenPage

There are no cameras currently operational on I-80 near 79.

It could be infrastructure related to the Intelligent Transportation System upgrade project going on in the NW part of the state:

PennDOT: Intelligent Transportation System Coming to Northwest Pennsylvania Interstates -- HARRISBURG, Pa., May 10, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --

That will bring traffic cameras to the area.

KB3KBR

(ಠ_ಠ) (◣_◢) (。◕‿◕。)
Feed Provider
my understanding was that it is a microwave backbone system for penndot. supposed to be linking weather sites together from what i heard.

TRNcommLLC

Feed Provider
They been along I-70 for sometime now (year or 2).
They are within LOS of each other.

Not sure what they are for.

Could it be low power repeaters for the state radio system?

I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.