RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum

Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Pennsylvania.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 5:22 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

As long as you are running the lastest firmware on your Uniden BCD996XT; you DO NOT need any custom bandplans. Just setup the scanner with the control channel frequencies ONLY; set the bandplan to auto and program the talkgroups and you're good to go. The Uniden's are smart enough to figure the other settings out once it hears the control channel for the first time. Custom bandplans are truly only needed for older scanners that are not rebanded by default. Modern scanners such as the "GRE PSR-500, 600. and 800" as well as the "Uniden BCD396T-396XT/996T-996XT and Homepatrol HP-1"; it's likely others will require some custom bandplans to work and track the system correctly.

When in-doubt about the bandplan tables, just set them to auto and a properly designed P-25 system will provide the data to the receiving radios, including scanners, third party software, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw911 View Post
Does band plan need to be modified for the 996XT

I am confused about the band plan notes

Ch-Lo: Ch-Hi: Offset: Base Frequency: Step: Slots:

0 4095 0 851.00625 6.25 FDMA

4096 8191 4096 762.00625 6.25 FDMA

8192 12287 8192 851.01250 12.5 TDMA-2

12288 16383 12288 762.00625 12.5 TDMA-2

The 996XT programming tool I use is only looking for Lower/Base (I assume this is the base refernced above) Upper (which would be what) the offset (I assume is as listed?) and the step (once again as listed?)

Thanks...I know this is only a stop gap until Phase II is rolled out, but given the City's financial situation, it could be "ever"

I only own REAL radios (i.e. Motorola, ICOM, Kenwood, and Yaesu); I'll never have any cheap Chinese knockoffs! Yes, that means you Baofeng, Wouxun, etc...
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2013, 5:23 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHO3 View Post
Having the same problem as pdw911 with the Uniden 996xt. The scanner should monitor the PPD and other Philly entities set as P251. Uniden requires:
Lo Base Freq Upper Base Freq Offset Polarity Spacing
I don't know if that will require 1 or more band plans. Is requiring too much guess work. Can a colleague provide us with the correct band plan(s) aka, I suspect, as trunking tables?
Again, no custom tables needed for these scanners. Simple program the control channels ONLY and set the bandplan for AUTO.

I only own REAL radios (i.e. Motorola, ICOM, Kenwood, and Yaesu); I'll never have any cheap Chinese knockoffs! Yes, that means you Baofeng, Wouxun, etc...
Old 01-16-2013, 5:39 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2GLD View Post
Again, no custom tables needed for these scanners. Simple program the control channels ONLY and set the bandplan for AUTO.
I can confirm that. I programmed the 996xt with control channel only, and it works like a charm.

Also, just heard an official announcement on the fire switchover. Per the FCC dispatcher, all fire units will be switching over to the new system tomorrow morning. In the meantime, all "tac" channels will not be used due to radio maintenance in the background.
Old 01-16-2013, 5:45 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

PhillDJDan:

One last try, if you've got the time. Give this setup and try, it may be able to trick the radio's receiver firmware.

Under the MOT3600 CC, chose Multi Tables and enter the following:

Lo Chan: Hi Chan: Offset: Base Frequency: Step:
440 559 440 851.0250 25.0
0 719 0 851.0125 25.0
720 759 0 848.0000 25.0
815 831 0 846.6250 25.0
961 1022 0 843.4000 25.0
958 958 958 868.9750 25.0

Then, under the MOT9600 CC, chose Normal

Also, in the bank when you have the control channel only; make sure they are each set to MOT and NOT FM and that they are not defaulted to Atten checked.

Please let me know if that works out. I've got several people inquiring about this setup, both in Philly and here...

Thanks,

Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydjdan View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-us; ZTE-N910 Build/GRJ90) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I tried the standard custom bandplan you gave me as well as the one in the notes for the new system. Neither worked. I do have the latest firmware. Like i said before, it seems like the scanner is deaf on the control channel, so even with the bandplan, it isnt going to decode enough control data to do anything with it. I will do some more testing and see what i can come up with. I have a super amp and external antenna i can try.

Old 01-16-2013, 6:14 PM

Not sure if its my software (even though I just did the lastest library update) but I cannot access the system on my EZ Scan software for my PSR 800. I want to import the updated info for the system onto my EZ Scan, but when I click onto the system in the systems tab of Philadelphia County, there is an "x" next to the system and I cannot open up the information for the system. What gives?
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2013, 6:33 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

W2GLD,

The plot thickens...

I just reprogrammed the Pro-96 with your latest custom band plan settings. I still got a control channel that I couldn't decode. For kicks, I went into tuning mode, and jotted down the adjacent frequencies on either side of the control channel. The control channel for Zone 2 is 853.5375, so I programmed in 853.54375 and 853.550. On 853.54375 I get about a 50 to 60 % decode rate, and the system info displays on the bottom. I tried scanning using that frequency, and it works, albeit choppy. I wonder if it's a tuning issue, like it really is off-frequency?
Old 01-16-2013, 7:02 PM

I have a pro 96, and live in Philly. I also listen to the 2nd and 15th, so what would be my best bet?

To sell my pro 96, and buy a PSR-800? That seems like a good long term solution, but what can I do for right now? Idont have the programming wire so I can connect to my computer, can you program it directly from the scanner?
Old 01-16-2013, 7:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

quick question, what does RTF mean, heard on PPD radio a lot.
Old 01-16-2013, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
quick question, what does RTF mean, heard on PPD radio a lot.
Report to follow, meaning that after what ever they were doing, they will hand in a paper report at the end of their shift doing it.

I've been at the police district, and some of the guys spend a few hours after they're off the clock, to finish up boring paper work.

philly uses a lot of words that are confusing. Like flash, it doesnt refer to lights and sirens, but rather a brief description of a suspect.
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2013, 7:48 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

"Turn us/me around to..." is another one that I never saw the need for.

Jesse, I can't answer right now as to using the Pro-96. If I ever get it figured out, I will let you know how to set it up.
Old 01-16-2013, 8:00 PM

Exclamation UPDATE: Fire switching over tomorrow AM

Happened to be listening to the old zone 1 system earlier this afternoon, and heard them put out a message that the fire department is switching to the new system tomorrow morning (1/17).

They also said that apparently there is still work being done on the system, and for some reason apparently some of the new "digital" talkgroups used for the fireground channels will not be ready (their terminology). They instructed units to use the "analog" talkgroups for fireground comms until further notice.

I then heard a tactical box go out, and the dispatched instructed units to use South Fire, and "South Analog 1" instead of the usual South Tac 1.

Couldn't quite make heads or tails of all this, but needless to say should be some interesting investigative scanning to do over the next few days! I can say that at the airport, our mobile radios have been working great, but we've been having trouble with our portables. This might be related to the fire dept. using alternate tac channels until they make improvements to the system.
Old 01-16-2013, 8:39 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

DAS, I heard the techs talking the last few days about turning transmitter sites on and off, and discussing problems with certain talkgroups (this morning 1st Judicial District had all of their talkgroups disabled).

The "analog" they are referring to is not a trunked talkgroup. They have 3 conventional analog simplex fireground channels available to them, and they are being instructed to use those. They are North Analog, South Analog, and Citywide Analog. My guess is this frees up resources on the trunked system so that they can do their work. I have an anlog 800 MHz radio that I use to monitor conventional channels. I have been hearing bits and pieces on North Analog, but the effective range is no more than a couple of blocks, so I won't be able to hear much. Interestingly, I have the I-Tac national interop channels on scan also, and a member from a ladder company mistakenly switched to I-Tac 3 and was calling someone "Go ahead, boss" lol.

I'm no professional radio technician, but it sounds like they might possibly be taking voice frequencies out of the old trunked system controllers in order to move them over to the new trunked system controllers. That would reduce the number of voice channels the old system would have to carry conversations on, so it would make sense that they wouldn't want fireground chatter to be on the trunked system. They wouldn't have enough voice channels to handle it. Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-16-2013, 8:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessek14 View Post
Report to follow, meaning that after what ever they were doing, they will hand in a paper report at the end of their shift doing it.

I've been at the police district, and some of the guys spend a few hours after they're off the clock, to finish up boring paper work.

philly uses a lot of words that are confusing. Like flash, it doesnt refer to lights and sirens, but rather a brief description of a suspect.

Thanks, I know most of their terms, like doer, who else uses that, just couldn't figure out the RTF.
Old 01-16-2013, 9:32 PM

Anyone know when the Analog and Digital conventional TAC channels will be rebanded?
Victory5318@gmail.com
Old 01-17-2013, 1:29 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

caught this announcement..

Jan 17th,2am..

Southwest,12-18
25th dist,,TBand
and Special Units
will be switching
over to the upgraded
system
Old 01-17-2013, 6:41 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Fire is now on the new system, sounds pretty good so far. The Motorola techs certainly need to mind their language while chatting lol.
Old 01-17-2013, 7:34 AM

As of right now Districts 1, 3, and 17 (South Band) are still on the old system. The other districts have migrated over to the upgraded system. Also seeing TG 1488 (sensitive) coming up on the old system. Other than those 2 and J-band the old system is fairly quiet.
Victory5318@gmail.com
Old 01-17-2013, 8:06 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-us; ZTE-N910 Build/GRJ90) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

1488 is Major Crime 1.

One thing i noticed on my way to work is that the usual dead spots on the old system are even worse on the new system. Looks like my PSR-800 is going to get a trunk mounted antenna shortly along with an amplified speaker.
Old 01-17-2013, 8:22 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septa3371CSX1 View Post
As of right now Districts 1, 3, and 17 (South Band) are still on the old system. The other districts have migrated over to the upgraded system. Also seeing TG 1488 (sensitive) coming up on the old system. Other than those 2 and J-band the old system is fairly quiet.
M band is still on the old system.

I have heard 12th & 18th, 25th, and T Band on the new system this morning.
Old 01-17-2013, 8:27 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Just heard the 22nd on the old system.